Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl | Teen Ink

Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl

By KatsK DIAMOND, Saint Paul, Minnesota
KatsK DIAMOND, Saint Paul, Minnesota

Being inexhaustible, life and nature are a constant stimulus for a creative mind.
~Hans Hofmann
You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
~Ray Bradbury

This book is an amazing book (which means something, as I will read literally any book). It is a mystery, but also features romance, sarcasm, snippets of history, and more. It’s about Blue van Meer, who is an intellectual genius. Her father, Gareth, is a professor, and ever since her mother died, they have moved from place to place.

They decide to stay in one town for a whole school year -a novelty for Blue- and so she will finish her high school experience at Saint Galloway’s. There she meets a teacher named Hannah Schneider, and a group of kids called the Bluebloods. They accept her, and soon they become involved in a murder and a camping trip, and then Blue’s world is turned into smithereens.

At first, I picked it up because my mom highly recommended it to me. The next time I picked it up was when I was completely enthralled with the plot. It has amazing descriptions, and unique characters. Also, the story isn’t the fairy-tale type where everyone ends up happily, which I liked, because it made it more realistic.

Special Topics in Calamity Physics explores a first love, intelligence, murder, school, and popularity.It also has some images The characters are very believable, as well. I stayed up way too late reading this book. I would have stayed up later except for the fact that my sister was ready to kill me if I read for thirty more seconds (we share a room). Every time I read this, I really enjoy it. The only caveat is that it explores some “mature themes”, as in teenage sex and drinking. However, the bottom line is that I would highly recommend it, and I think that it is as truly great book.