Lor Mandela: Four Hundred Days by L. Carroll | Teen Ink

Lor Mandela: Four Hundred Days by L. Carroll

August 24, 2011
By LiederMadchen ELITE, Aurora, Oregon
LiederMadchen ELITE, Aurora, Oregon
132 articles 0 photos 25 comments

Favorite Quote:
For, I could not love thee, Dear, so much,
Loved I not honour more.
-- Richard Lovelace, quoted often by Baroness Emmuska Orczy in The Scarlet Pimpernel


This book is so much fun! The mixture of contemporary and fantasy with a dash of sci-fi thrown in is completely original and entertaining. The characters are complicated and interesting and the world is fascinating.


Audril is a very likable heroine. Raised on Drolana (aka, Earth) she has attitude and a bit of a wild side (which worries her father to no end). She does what she believes to be right or necessary, even when it gets her into trouble. She makes mistakes and is occasionally a little too independent for her own good, which gets her into even more trouble but also makes her more fun!


Dallin Doone, the handsome love interest, is in deep trouble through almost the entire book. Audril's father is determined to keep them apart, the enemy wants Audril for himself, and Dallin may have some competition for her affections from an unexpected source. Poor Dallin certainly has his work cut out for him, but he has won me to his side with his sweetness.


Ryannon makes a great villain because he is so convincing. He can talk almost anybody into trusting him before he turns on them. I am not sure what to think of Lortu. He is so shifty and strange, it is impossible to tell what side he will choose. I believe he truly cares for Audril, but will that be enough?


The minor characters are wonderful. I love Tabbit and Jonathan and Kahlie and Teedee...well, I loved them all, pretty much. Especially Teedee. She is so marvelously eccentric and there is far more to her than meets the eye.


Is it strange that my favorite parts in the book were the most awful for the characters? L. Carroll captures the emotional anguish of certain events perfectly, so much so that at one point (I can't tell you which, it would give too much away) I was mentally yelling at the book in protest. Ok, maybe two points. And the ending! The less said the better when it comes to that ending, I must read book 3.


I highly recommend this series to lovers of fantasy, great characters and world-building.