Earth Abides by George R. Stewart | Teen Ink

Earth Abides by George R. Stewart

By CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

Many books deal with what happens after an apocalypse, but few deal with it as uniquely as George R. Stewart did in his 1949 masterpiece, Earth Abides. Earth Abides is the story of Isherwood “Ish” Williams, who discovers the horrors that took place while he was in the desert, isolated from civilization. Humanity has nearly been wiped out. Rather than committing suicide like other people might have, Ish decides to survive and watch how humanity rebuilds. He can be a cold person, but he does whatever is necessary for survival.

The book is divided into three different sections: World Without End, The Year 22 and The Last American. World Without End, the first section is mainly the beginning of Ish’s struggle for survival. The Year 22 goes into more detail about the years that pass, especially the fateful 22nd year after the apocalypse. The Last American is a bit confusing, mainly because Ish is old and near death, but it is probably the most haunting section of the entire novel.

Earth Abides is a chilling story of survival and what happens after most of humanity is wiped out. I’d give it 5 out of 5 stars.

Earth Abides is probably the most memorable book I've ever read.

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thank you! :)

on Jul. 28 2011 at 11:26 am
sweetly_broken GOLD, Garner, North Carolina

We never know how big we are until we are asked to rise.

Wonderful review. It gave good information about the content as well as the right balance of praise and warning about the confusion of the last section. Very well done!

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thank you!  It is a good book.

on Jul. 23 2011 at 10:59 am
DaylightDarkness SILVER, Littleton, Colorado

Everyone's crazy. You know why? We all want to be normal. Well, we cant define normal, and, the people you can point at and say, well isn't he/she normal are rare. Doesnt that kind of defeat the pupose of normal? -My Friend

very nice. I'll have to remember to pick this up sometime, it sounds like a really good book.

musicispassion PLATINUM, Perris, California

" Life is never easy for those who dream."
There are so many other quotes i need pages to write them

thanks and i won't keep up the good work

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Don't underestimate yourself!  And I'll be on the lookout for your review.

sounds interesting i'm gonna read and write a review probably not as great as urs though thanks for the review

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Yes, I'm working on stating my opinion, something I hate to do.  It feels almost unprofessional, but I know it's necessary.

on Jul. 11 2011 at 11:21 am
Trilobite BRONZE, Lower Burrell, Pennsylvania

"Genius is 1% imagination and 99% perspiration."~Thomas Edison
"Anyone who has a child today should train him to be either a physicist or a ballet dancer. Then he'll escape."~W. H. Auden

Nice use of summarizing, but again, you need to state your opinion.   Very well written!

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks for commenting!

MidnightFire PLATINUM, Lincoln, Illinois

'Dream as if you will live forever, live as if you'll die tomorrow.'
for my sister: 'when life gives me lemons ... i eat them'
'do not be afraid, be faithful'
'God is not safe, but He's good'

I like how you give some background on Ish to explain why he didn't die or know that the apocalypse had happened. 

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

It's a good book!  I hope if you read it that you enjoy it. :)

im hooked. i have to find that book!

on Jun. 29 2011 at 11:58 am
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks for commenting! :)

on Jun. 29 2011 at 11:54 am
Eno_Bladez GOLD, Williamsport, Pennsylvania

it'll be okay, if it's not okay it's not over.

i agree with Garnet77.

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Fair enough.  I'll work on that in the future.  Thanks for the comment!

FizzingWhizbees27 BRONZE, Davis, California
The review lacks opinion. A review needs to express the writers opinion about whatever he/she is reviewing AND give a summary.
SORRY for being so critical. I'm a reporter so I've learned this stuff.

on Jun. 21 2011 at 8:54 am
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks, Garnet77!  If you do read it, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

on Jun. 21 2011 at 1:25 am
Garnet77 PLATINUM, Sinagpore, Other

"Everything's a triangle." ~ My mother

"Write what you love, write what you care about, because sometimes, it's the easiest way to be heard."

I love this review! I actually really want to check this book out. (I am looking for another book to read, anyway) Great job! :)

Tink1350 BRONZE, Medford, New York

"Worries are like weights and weights keep you down, so let go of your worries and fly,"

Omg i hate zombie stuff too. Way too graphic. Ugh.