The Giver by Lois Lowry | Teen Ink

The Giver by Lois Lowry MAG

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York

After reading The Giver, I was left confused and disappointed. It seemed as if it would be interesting, but you can't judge a book by its cover. The contents were dull and predictable. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend it to any reader seeking a fine piece of literature. It just doesn't suffice.

The Giver is about a young boy named Jonas. He resides in a futuristic society in which each citizen is assigned a job, a spouse, and children. The children are born to mothers who will never get to see them. Trying not to give anymore away, I will only say that Jonas is assigned an important job and is challenged with the release of an innocent child. Jonas is left with the option of leaving his home, job, and family to save the child, or facing the harsh reality of his community and job, and enduring the release of the child.

This book was dreadful. I became more and more dissatisfied with each page. It was a waste of time and hardly made sense. I'll admit, there were a few interesting lines, but far too few to continue reading after the first chapter. Although I finished it, I regret doing so. It was, by far, the worst book I've ever picked up. It proved to be mediocre, no better than what the average person could conceive. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

on May. 22 2010 at 10:58 pm
foreverever008 BRONZE, Portland, Oregon

I love the Outsiders!! Loved the giver, too.

on May. 22 2010 at 10:57 pm
foreverever008 BRONZE, Portland, Oregon
Yes!  Exactly!

on May. 22 2010 at 10:47 pm
CaityBug SILVER, Mechanic Falls, Maine

"I'm cracking skulls!" -Vernon (The Breakfast Club)

I actually really liked this book and, while I understand that people hae different tastes in literature, I believe you were a bit harsh.

on May. 22 2010 at 10:27 pm
I think that pretty much summed up the problem :)  I fully agree.

on May. 22 2010 at 10:25 pm
I can understand why you would find this book confusing, but I don't think that it was "dull and predictable".  The author had some very unique ideas of how this society was ran.  I admit, it wasn't the most gripping book, but it is definately a very fine piece of literature.  It's just a matter of understanding what the author was trying to say (moral terms and such).  Not very many people liked it that I know of, and it wasn't a book that I would call my favorite, but I think a lot of people can't get passed the "confusing" and "boring" part of it to really enjoy it. 

Ramzan SILVER said...
on May. 22 2010 at 4:05 pm
Ramzan SILVER, Loveland, Ohio
I didn't like this book all that much either. I understood it, and it made sense, but it was just so...boring. The idea seemed so bland and cliche.

Eilatan GOLD said...
on May. 22 2010 at 2:47 pm
Eilatan GOLD, Old Greenwich, Connecticut

"Nobody is normal. Everybody in the world is a weirdo freak. Except you, which makes you a weirdo freak."

it was of the future. it doesn't have to make sense.

on May. 22 2010 at 11:43 am
FlyingNewt BRONZE, Bloomington, Indiana
i loved this book. its one of my favorite books, sorry you didn't like it

on May. 21 2010 at 12:11 pm
UnwrittenWolf, Novi, Michigan

"Our greatest desires are those that which hurt us in the end."

I really enjoed the book, it has a deep meaning to it all the way to the end. It really makes you think about life...

on May. 20 2010 at 9:37 am
chartothalatte GOLD, Cleveland Heights, Ohio
i really enjoyed this book! it was captivating and interesting. i'm sorry you didn't enjoy it because you're missing out on a great piece of literature.

on May. 8 2010 at 8:46 am
sunnyhunny PLATINUM, Litchfield, New Hampshire

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
-Ghandi

I loved this book.  The words are simple, but there is so much hidden behind them.  I advise you to take a closer look at the true meaning of this book.

on May. 6 2010 at 9:19 pm
deJoisey SILVER, South Plainfield, New Jersey
I picked up The Giver a few years back.  It is an intriguing book. It picks at your subconscious. Reading it, you feel that there is more to it - a spiritual side - hanging just outside the periphery of your understanding.  The man on the cover reminds me of Willie Nelson.  

lnvo97 GOLD said...
on May. 5 2010 at 7:57 pm
lnvo97 GOLD, Chicago, Illinois

But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
Matthew 5:44

lol !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! =D

_NoAir_ BRONZE said...
on May. 5 2010 at 4:58 pm
_NoAir_ BRONZE, Toronto, Other

There are as many ways to live as there are people in this world. Each one deserves a closer look.

–Golly (Harriet The Spy)

Yeah, there are good and bad things about not having colours, but from their eyes, colours can be dangerous. They can cause racism, judgements, etc. It's not a bad or good book. I just find it strange, and it gives me wonderous thoughts and ideas to add in this book.

By the way, you're not going against me. It's an opinion, and I never get mad about them. Lol!

lnvo97 GOLD said...
on May. 5 2010 at 4:41 pm
lnvo97 GOLD, Chicago, Illinois

Matthew 5:44

Zavery, im got going against you there. but how would you know beauty without knowing any color???even though beauty is to the eye of the beholder, many things that we consider beautiful consist of color.

_NoAir_ BRONZE said...
on May. 5 2010 at 4:10 pm
_NoAir_ BRONZE, Toronto, Other

–Golly (Harriet The Spy)

Invo, I'm not going to disrespect your opinion, but just question yourself a few questions about the book. Every question has a moral. For example, "Why did the community remove colours and make the world grey?" Perhaps it was because of racism. Was it because giving your opinion of colours for your clothes can be a bad expression? Take an example of school uniforms, like they're pretty much colourless. You can learn so much from that book. Sorry, just wanted to let it out.    :)

on May. 5 2010 at 12:02 pm
Also, i noticed 90% of all the negative comments toward this book are people who didn't understand and/or take the time to finish. And would a little grammar/spelling hurt too?

on May. 5 2010 at 11:58 am
Honestly, this book was satisfyingly good. I found that you didn't understand the book fully for what its worth. Also, what do you dislike that makes each page for dreadful? Each page gets deeper into the storyline...page by page you learn more about this mysterious society. A "perfect" society, close to pure communism in a way.

bokworm SILVER said...
on May. 5 2010 at 11:57 am
bokworm SILVER, Moreno Valley, California

life is gets easier by what you do not by what you don't

i loved it you just need an openmind to fully under stand it.

on May. 5 2010 at 11:49 am
This book was confusing and boreing