The Giver by Lois Lowry | Teen Ink

The Giver by Lois Lowry MAG

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York

After reading The Giver, I was left confused and disappointed. It seemed as if it would be interesting, but you can't judge a book by its cover. The contents were dull and predictable. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend it to any reader seeking a fine piece of literature. It just doesn't suffice.

The Giver is about a young boy named Jonas. He resides in a futuristic society in which each citizen is assigned a job, a spouse, and children. The children are born to mothers who will never get to see them. Trying not to give anymore away, I will only say that Jonas is assigned an important job and is challenged with the release of an innocent child. Jonas is left with the option of leaving his home, job, and family to save the child, or facing the harsh reality of his community and job, and enduring the release of the child.

This book was dreadful. I became more and more dissatisfied with each page. It was a waste of time and hardly made sense. I'll admit, there were a few interesting lines, but far too few to continue reading after the first chapter. Although I finished it, I regret doing so. It was, by far, the worst book I've ever picked up. It proved to be mediocre, no better than what the average person could conceive. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

on Mar. 17 2010 at 10:55 am
Shabanana SILVER, Teaneck, New Jersey
i felt the same way. I also read it in English class in 7th grade and loved the book i just really wish there was a better ending Gathering Blue and The Messanger are not an ending.

on Mar. 17 2010 at 10:54 am
Shabanana SILVER, Teaneck, New Jersey
They are not sequels. Jonas' story continues but all the characters are changed and only a little part talks about Jonas. The rest of the books have nothing to do with them. Lois Lowry wrote 3 different books and conveniently joined them together but it is not a sequel.

horsie_luver SILVER, Tigard, Oregon

"I cannot live without books."-Thomas Jefferson

Thank you to everybody who agrees with me in saying that this is a very good book. Please do not let all of the negative comments discourage you from reading this book. It is an excellent book if you like this type of writing. Although, some people might not like this book, but that is fine with me. Not everybody likes every book and every type of book.

horsie_luver SILVER, Tigard, Oregon

The Messenger and Gathering Blue are sort of sequels.

sunnyhunny PLATINUM, Litchfield, New Hampshire

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
-Ghandi

I have to respectfully disagree with you. I like the matter-of-fact tone that Lois Lowry maintains throughout the begining of the story. Nobody in the community knows that so many things are wrong, and the reader is left to notice it themselves without it being announced to them. I think that this story was cleverly written, and that the reading level is lower than the maturity it takes to fully understand and accept the true purpose and message of this book.

Darley SILVER said...
Darley SILVER, Meadow Vista, California

" What matters most is how you see yourself."

I love this Book!!!!! I read it in the seventh grade. I totally recomend it. The Giver isa different kind of book that is what makes it cool

on Feb. 24 2010 at 5:59 am
xenon333 PLATINUM, Billerica, Massachusetts
yeah, the ending made no sense what-so-ever.

MisplacedTexan14, Saratoga, California

"If you can't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them."- a Bumper Sticker
"If Obama was the answer, it was a stupid question." - Another Bumper sticker

They are not normal sequels, but Jonas's story continues in them.

AlexandraRose BRONZE, Port Hardy, Other
The messenger and gathering blue are NOT sequals they are only books by the same author

MisplacedTexan14, Saratoga, California

There is a sequel!!! Gathering Blue and The Messenger are the sequels. How can you not like this book?!?!? My whole seventh grade class read it and everyone LOVED it!

love.lauren GOLD, Eagle Lake, Minnesota

"That's Sweeto!"-my friend, Shelby

I read this book as an assignment for English, so I was forced to finish. I was instantly interested by her precise descriptions of everything she wrote about, but was by all means, completely dissapointed by the ending. It left you wondering in a terrible way, and of course, there's no sequel.

Duckie430 said...
Duckie430, Riverside, Rhode Island

“The secret to life is being who you are and being happy with who you are.”
"Whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger."

the giver isn't a bad book; actually, it makes you really think, unlike alot of other books

Archer973 BRONZE, Vassalboro, Maine
1 article 1 photo 1 comment

We humans fear the beast within the wolf because we do not understand the beast within ourselves - Gerald Hausman

I think this book, while it might have been slightly predictable at times, sent a strong message. If you read her book The Messenger you will learn more about Jonas. I think this review was very well written however. Nice job.

MusicIsMyLove SILVER, Streamwood, Illinois

♫♪♫Music is my escape ♥

I disagree 100% with this review. I read this book when I was in 7th grade and absolutely fell in love with it. It compelled me to read on to the next two books that tie in with this one and I absolutely loved it. I wished that there was more to this interesting story; Lois Lowry is an amazing author to all.

on Feb. 23 2010 at 10:33 am

-Ghandi

I think that this book is amazing. It was disturbing, but I disagree that it was a waste of time. It was deep and a warning to our society. i like the fact that the book was cryptically written, becasue Lois Lowry leaves it up to the reader to figure things out. It isn't too hard as long as you are attentive through the whole thing. The only part I was frustrated with is the ending becasue it leaves it to your own interpertation.

on Feb. 23 2010 at 10:20 am
Olderatheart GOLD, Valley Stream, New York

"Its our choices that show who we are, far more than our abilities"- HP

I disagree completley

this book was deep and although crypticly wriitten, was great.

on Feb. 23 2010 at 8:16 am
suavell northern, Bolingbrook, Illinois
this was the best book i ever read great writing great plot all around great book

on Feb. 23 2010 at 6:20 am
homewardbound, Billerica, Massachusetts
they are making a movie for this soon. I didn't like this book either and I thought it was almost disturbing. I too had to read it for school.

zoomboomfly said...
on Feb. 21 2010 at 11:23 am
I really liked this book. I didn't like the ending, but the rest of the book was really well written and captivating

juicyfan6 BRONZE, Mount Laurel, New Jersey

"I solemnly swear that I am up to no good." - J.K. Rowling

I read this book awhile ago for school. I liked it; it had great movie potential.