Reviving Ophelia by Dr. Mary Pipher | Teen Ink

Reviving Ophelia by Dr. Mary Pipher MAG

I haven't read a piece of literature lately that I can reflect on and think, Wow, that was incredible! After reading Reviving Ophelia, Saving the Lives of Adolescent Girls, written by psychologist Dr. Mary Pipher, I was completely inspired. I highly recommend that teenage girls and their parents take the opportunity to read, relate and listen to these critical issues which face thousands of young women today.

"Ophelia" represents a universal teenage girl who tries desperately to fight against society's status quo that, "A woman's success is determined by her beauty, whereas a man's success is determined by his capability." Her struggle to reject this popular theory is found in over 50 real-life stories of the young female patients Pipher treats. These are stories of young woman who range in ages from 11 to 21 and cover topics from drug abuse to violence, sex, sexual abuse, divorce, rape, depression and the plague of eating disorders.

Pipher stresses that aesthetic properties of a young woman should not define you as a person. Pipher preaches that sexy is being smart, self-confident, beautiful on the inside, independent, kind hearted and simply being yourself.

It is extremely important for young women (and their parents) to read this book. So many girls are suffering because of the unreal expectations society demands of them. Pipher offers hope and inspiration to the eight million young women out here with eating disorders. We need a leader to stand up and believe in this creed, however, until then, Pipher (and I) can only dream of the day when society becomes our friend not our enemy and girls can learn to love themselves unconditionally

i love this !