The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens | Teen Ink

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens MAG

By Anonymous

     Sean Covey has followed in his famous father’s footsteps (Stephen Covey is the author of many self-help books) and written the definitive success guide for teens, The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens. Today’s teens are busier and more stressed than ever before. With school, hours of homework, athletics, jobs, clubs, helping at home and more, we barely have time to breathe.

When I recently read about a teenager committing suicide because of stress over homework and another who shot his father due to pressure to succeed in athletics, I realized that more books for teenagers are needed.

The 7 Habits not only serves as a guide for teens to improve their self image, build friendships, resist peer pressure and achieve goals, but it offers hope. Reading it, you realize that though you may be struggling now, with hard work and a vision you can overcome any obstacle. This is explored through real-life examples from teens around the world who share their experiences and the habits they have developed to overcome obstacles.

The seven habits are: 1) Be proactive; 2) Begin with the end in mind; 3) Put first things first; 4) Think win-win; 5) Seek first to understand, then be understood; 6) Synergize and 7) Sharpen the saw. Mixed in are cartoons, famous quotes, song lyrics, poems and other classic techniques to keep you interested. I found the baby steps listed at the end of each chapter and the various activities extremely helpful. The Great Discovery Activity in particular really helped me understand myself and what is important in my life. That is the first step in developing a personal mission statement and setting goals.

In summary, I found the book highly engaging and a must-read for any teenager looking for inspiration and motivation to succeed. This book is a compass to guide us through the land mines of adolescence and into a value-driven adulthood. It is not surprising that The 7 Habits was a national best-seller.



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 46 comments.


i love this !

caivii said...
on May. 19 2016 at 11:55 am
Don't care for this book at all. It has some okay points, but it's just not enough. There is an entire class on this book at my school, and we're tested over this stuff, though it's just someone's opinion on what we should do. For example, when one arrives at the part of the book where it talks about listening styles, one of its major lessons is "practice 'mirroring.'" It involves basically repeating meaning. It stresses that you do not repeat the words of someone, just the meaning. However, kids often close up if you do this. It's the 'shrink' effect; kids don't like talking to a psychologist, nor do they appreciate when people try such cheesy tactics on them. It's one of many not-so-good strategies preached in the book.

katsnap said...
on Sep. 29 2015 at 10:34 pm
Peyton, this is fantastic. I hope as a photographer to be invited on one of your calm adventures. Kudos!

Phantom139 said...
on Sep. 23 2014 at 10:09 am
My 3rd period read this book and it really does help and gives advice, but I had trouble conecting to what Covey was saying.

on May. 26 2014 at 11:27 am
but atleast the imformation was. good but yeah u better read it cause it very awesome u would like it!!!.

on Nov. 26 2013 at 5:37 pm
Deej6595 BRONZE, Billerica, Massachusetts
3 articles 0 photos 369 comments

Favorite Quote:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference.

Your review was short but, gave enough information for people to decide to read the book. I will definitely be looking for this in the library.

on Nov. 25 2013 at 7:18 am
SAAMAANTHAA BRONZE, Tai Po, Other
2 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Life is like a bicycle. In order to keep your balance you must keep moving." --Albert Einstein

We just got this book a few weeks ago in homeroom classes and we're reading it at school :) It's been very interesting so far

Someone said...
on Nov. 5 2013 at 8:55 pm
This book is ******* awesome!

Anonomus said...
on Nov. 5 2013 at 8:51 pm
I give the book a “thumbs up”. It was very engaging by having multiple interactive activities and had some “baby steps”, a way to actually put what was in the previous chapter to the test. Also it was reliable, there were many references to website were also reliable. There was also a HUGE bibliography. The book was definitely beneficial, for it moved me with these poems/stories I listed, and there were a few online posts about how it was useful to other people.    The book includes a poem about rejecting your future just to obtain a brief moment of joy. It is one of the sad things about the human mind, we want happiness, but don’t care about the cost. Anyhow, this is the poem…                 “What win I, if I gain the thing I seek?                 A dream, a breath, a froth of fleeting joy.                 Who buys a minute’s mirth to wail a week?                 Or sells eternity to get a toy?                 For one sweet grape who will the vine destroy?” This poem makes sense. Because who would want only a minute of happiness and then have pain and sorrow for a week? And who would give their whole future away for a toy?  Or who would destroy millions of sweet grapes for only one sweet grape? Only a stupid person would. This poem puts most of what I read into one short poem. The whole book talks about obtaining happiness almost instantly, but later on there would be a sacrifice. “I am the junior class president at my school. I decided to try the small kindness deposit I learned about by putting a simple note in the boxes of the student body officers I didn’t know well. I told them that I appreciated the work they did. It took me about five minutes to write up.                                           The next day one of the girls I had given a note to came up to me and abruptly gave me a big hug. She thanked me for the note, and handed me a letter and a candy bar. The note said she had had a terrible day. She had a great deal of stress and was very depressed. My small note had turned her whole day around, helping her to happily accomplish the things that had caused her so much grief. The strange thing was that I had hardly known her when I gave her the note, and I was sure that she didn’t like me anyway because she never really paid attention to me. What a surprise! I couldn’t believe how much a simple note meant to her.” Now, isn’t that interesting a simple note can make someone who is depressed happy.

johnny64670 said...
on Aug. 27 2013 at 10:44 am
im a freshmen and we are reading dthis book with our prinsiple every tuesday it is a great book to get you going in life

on Feb. 12 2013 at 1:02 pm
SimplieChristie GOLD, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
16 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Never let failure get to your heart."

I read this book in 7th grade, really helpful. : )

on Nov. 17 2012 at 8:34 am
LinkinPark12 PLATINUM, Lincolnshire, Other
45 articles 1 photo 198 comments

Favorite Quote:
Work like you don’t need money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like no one's watching. ¦ I like change - but only when everything stays the same.

I've actually read this book as a present from my parents for Christmas. It's not bad, got some good tips.

on Oct. 31 2012 at 3:12 pm
ChobaniLuvinPenguin PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York
29 articles 0 photos 85 comments

Favorite Quote:
"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well."
― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince

I just began reading this book and had my doubts, but your wonderful review made me realize how beneficial this book could really be. Your review is well phrased and flows nicely, which makes it very persuasive and sophisticated. You also make it clear that many teenagers will benefit from the book just like you did. Awesome job!!!

gessika said...
on Aug. 25 2012 at 11:23 pm
It is ,i Love it ,this though me how to control life ,be proactive ect

on Jul. 21 2012 at 1:41 pm
stephaneschr SILVER, Vereeniging, Other
7 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"readers never go to bed alone"

The review is very well writen altgough i do not agree that it is a good book. i was forced to read it by my father and i hated every minute of it. it states the obvious and makes it seem as if we hav no idea what we are doing. the quotes and jokes give it a nice twist although its basic components suck

LiaBe PLATINUM said...
on Jun. 16 2012 at 12:58 pm
LiaBe PLATINUM, Bellevue, Washington
44 articles 3 photos 18 comments
My school recommended me reading this book before I enter 9th grade this year. I can definately inderstand why they did, and agree with what you said.

Breanne BRONZE said...
on Jun. 5 2012 at 4:17 pm
Breanne BRONZE, Fairhope, Alabama
1 article 0 photos 10 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Rose as in red, never in blue. Sharp as a thorn, fights like one too."
-Vampire Academy, Richelle Mead! <3

I had a class in 9th grade (last year) and it was called "7 Habits." This was the book that we would read for our textbook. All the quizes/tests came straight from this book.

on Apr. 3 2012 at 11:26 am

this book is sounding like a quite decent book after having gone through the book  i found that it is a quite learning book

 


on Mar. 20 2012 at 8:18 am
Musicalartist, Xxxxx, Other
0 articles 0 photos 144 comments
This book is like my second bible!  I love it, it is so helpful and makes me become a better person (hahah cliché)

on Dec. 23 2011 at 7:32 pm
arcanine24 PLATINUM, Ventnor, New Jersey
47 articles 1 photo 19 comments

Favorite Quote:
Everyone has a story; just some are more interesting to read than others.

sounds like a decent book ;)