The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens | Teen Ink

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens MAG

By Anonymous

     Sean Covey has followed in his famous father’s footsteps (Stephen Covey is the author of many self-help books) and written the definitive success guide for teens, The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens. Today’s teens are busier and more stressed than ever before. With school, hours of homework, athletics, jobs, clubs, helping at home and more, we barely have time to breathe.

When I recently read about a teenager committing suicide because of stress over homework and another who shot his father due to pressure to succeed in athletics, I realized that more books for teenagers are needed.

The 7 Habits not only serves as a guide for teens to improve their self image, build friendships, resist peer pressure and achieve goals, but it offers hope. Reading it, you realize that though you may be struggling now, with hard work and a vision you can overcome any obstacle. This is explored through real-life examples from teens around the world who share their experiences and the habits they have developed to overcome obstacles.

The seven habits are: 1) Be proactive; 2) Begin with the end in mind; 3) Put first things first; 4) Think win-win; 5) Seek first to understand, then be understood; 6) Synergize and 7) Sharpen the saw. Mixed in are cartoons, famous quotes, song lyrics, poems and other classic techniques to keep you interested. I found the baby steps listed at the end of each chapter and the various activities extremely helpful. The Great Discovery Activity in particular really helped me understand myself and what is important in my life. That is the first step in developing a personal mission statement and setting goals.

In summary, I found the book highly engaging and a must-read for any teenager looking for inspiration and motivation to succeed. This book is a compass to guide us through the land mines of adolescence and into a value-driven adulthood. It is not surprising that The 7 Habits was a national best-seller.