《The catcher in the rye》 book review | Teen Ink

《The catcher in the rye》 book review

October 21, 2020
By strikerzhao BRONZE, Ningbo, Other
strikerzhao BRONZE, Ningbo, Other
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I wasn’t expecting this book to broaden my horizons, but it did. Through the author’s protagonist, Holden Caufield, who has spent his whole life in New York City, and the events and the relationships that influenced his life, I learned more than I anticipated.

The writer assumes himself as a middle school student, Holden, studying at Pencey. After a semester, he was kicked out of school having failed every subject except English. He was unfazed by the decision as this was not the first school from which he had been expelled. The first part of the book tells of his adventures after leaving school. So his news would not be discovered by his parents before Christmas day, he began to live as a tramp. Many strange and ugly things happened during this time.

The night after leaving Percey, he arrives at an inn in hopes of having a peaceful night and enjoying himself. Instead, he witnesses disturbing behaviors happening around him, both in the hotel and the surrounding area. He is surprised and disgusted by these experiences.

Later in the book, Holden returns home after fearing he will die from pneumonia without seeing his little sister, Phoebe. Holden tells her of his depression and of the dream he has. He shares his favorite part, “And I’m standing on the edge of some crazy cliff. What I have to do, I have to catch everybody if they start to go over the cliff.” He explains to Phoebe, “I mean if they’re running and they don’t look where they’re going, I have to come out from somewhere and catch them. That’s all I’d do all day. I’d just be the catcher in the rye and all.”

Up to this point in the story, Salinger strongly criticizes society by using some acrimonious and biting words,  and describing strange phenomenon. Under his pen, this is a devolving and degenerate society with alienation being an important issue now facing humankind. The development of technology and industrialization squeezes out our original living conditions and leads us to destruction.

Through the book, Holden used his own failures in life to reveal and revolt against the moral collapse of this decaying society. However, his dream is to be a catcher in the rye offers solace. At first, I had a hard time understanding what he meant. After reading the advice from his sister, Phoebe, I believe I understand. Finally, I realize that Holden wanted to be a  Saviour in dangerous situations. To prevent everyone from being corroded by the dirty society.

The Catcher in the Rye is a moving novel. Not only because of its story line, but also for the artistic methods the writer uses. The expressions are very typically  teen-like, and the many grammatical errors offer a clear understanding of the speech patterns of teens as well. We can see that the writer worked hard to convey the attitudes, characteristics and nuances of teens and teen living.

I believe Salinger’s work will continue to be a popular novel while providing a necessary message for teens throughout the generations. His characters, theme and message are universal, inspiring young people to face their own lives with intelligence and fairness, and without judgement.