dear me | Teen Ink

dear me

May 22, 2018
By Anonymous

dear me,
well, i guess this is an informal hello. i’m alive and clear. i’m sitting here with just my laptop and my fingers. hopefully that’s still a thing in the time when you’re reading this. now, the reason why i’m wasting my time writing to you and your no-good future is because i believe in you. and however hard that is to comprehend, or however annoying and tacky-sounding that is, i think that you need it. i know that you don’t believe in yourself, and that’s why you’ve fallen. that’s why you don’t strive to do amazing things or pick up new interests. and no one has ever told you that they believe in you even though it’s such a beautiful thing to hear. well, except for your mom and sister but that was over a dinner conversation anyway. and plus they don’t really understand. so, when you’re older, if you’re too scared to ask for a promotion because you don’t think you’ll get it. or if you don’t have the courage to try a new sport, a new hobby, or even ask for something just remember what i said. maybe it’ll help a bit~

dear me,
i wanted to tell you that not only should you believe in yourself but you should also stop getting jealous!! i know you look at other people and wish you were them, but it’s time to stop. other people might be better in a certain aspect, but who cares? you need to be content in yourself because that’s the body, the mind, and the face you’re going to live in for the next ninety years or so. and, quite frankly, chances are they’re more jealous of you than you are of them!~

dear me,
wow, so you do care that she said that or he said that about your outfit. honestly, at this point, it’s so annoying. stop claiming you don’t care but you really do. and stop letting them annoy you and stick up for yourself! i mean, it’s your choice to wear different things to school rather than the norm. so take pride in that and see that you’re being different and standing out.~

dear me,
and, last but certainly not least, stop holding yourself back. not only do you not believe in yourself, but you don’t strive for things. and that’s probably the worst combination for success. if you want to get better at something, or get something, don’t hesitate and just say it or practice and improve. by you doubting yourself you’re not only annoying yourself but also the others around you. figure out what you want! if you want something, then you have to work for it.~


The author's comments:

I decided to write this piece as sort of a “list” of common things people do to themselves. I feel like it’s really important to stop doing these things because it doesn’t benefit anyone. If you hold yourself back, don’t believe in yourself, take in what others say, and get jealous of other people, you’ll never do anything good for yourself. I just think it’s so important to strive for things and not be timid because that’s what’s gonna make you successful and happy. I decided to write it as a collection of letters because it’s a lot more personal and hits home rather than if it was just an essay or a speech. It’s almost like you talking to yourself and telling yourself that you need to do these things for once, rather than other people usually telling you.