We Were Infinite | Teen Ink

We Were Infinite

March 22, 2018
By aarohitalati GOLD, Coconut Creek, Florida
aarohitalati GOLD, Coconut Creek, Florida
12 articles 0 photos 0 comments

When you loved me, colors were rich, colors were vivid, colors were dazzling. I was delighted, ecstatic, I never wanted it to stop. When you loved me, I completed you, you completed me.  We were flawless together, we were each other’s other halves, complementing each other’s strengths and weaknesses perfectly. What happened to us, my darling?


When you loved me, colors were bright, colors were lively, and colors were radiant. I hated myself for making myself dependent on you, yet I trusted that at least we were forever. We extended further than the limitless space of the universe. We surpassed death, the one truth in this cruel world. What happened to us, my darling?


When you loved me, colors were blinding, colors were spirited, the colors ablaze from our love. I had faith that this time, there would be no mistakes. Not after the last time, remember how hurt I was? It was you that hurt me. Yet you fixed me, glued my heart together with your love. It took time, but you came back to me. I know I didn’t show that I cared, not as much as you did, and I’m sorry. I did love you, I always have. Even when I was not with you, my heart was yours. You occupied my thoughts. What happened to us, my darling?


And now, look what has happened. I knew, even then, even now, that we were meant to be.


Yet,


You no longer love me, and the colors are gone. Even the universe knows, this is not right. Why are we apart? I cannot survive without you. You fractured my heart once, and came back to fix it. Now, it’s shattered. No one but you can fix it. I beg you, don’t leave me. You were my one happiness in this world, my one joy. Everyone’s gone, and I’m left alone. Did you know? Without you, I wouldn’t be here. Do you know how many thoughts occupy my mind, about death, about life? I think every day, I have no reason left to live. Then I think of you, and the chance that maybe, maybe you’ll come back. What happened to us, my darling?


Look what has happened. You told me we were infinite.


Yet,


You no longer love me, and the colors are gone. I know that you think that I never loved you. But let me tell you one thing. In the very beginning, I refused you. I’m going to tell you the real reason now. I was afraid. Afraid that maybe, you wouldn’t fix my heart, but break it even more. What happened to us, my darling?


You no longer love me, and the colors are gone. Now, I see. My fears were justified. And I am still afraid to say that they were right. I knew, I know, and I will always know, that I have never loved anyone as much as you. And I know, you loved me more than life itself. For centuries, we played tag with our feelings. Running away when I came near, and running after me when I left in sorrow. We had finally won, darling. We had beat the system, won our prize. What happened to us, my darling?


When you loved me,
Colors were beautiful.
And now, I can’t see them.
They’re gone.