Hattie's Skirts | Teen Ink

Hattie's Skirts

By K-E-Kamiko BRONZE, Amesbury, Massachusetts
K-E-Kamiko BRONZE, Amesbury, Massachusetts

a Holocaust Tribute 

A baby clutches his mother’s dress
Unaware of how it will save his life
Unwary of the saving grace that will come to rest
The child is soft and clean
His name is Eugenius, the second of three
After Richard, before Michal
He is just a babe, no bigger than an infant can be

A toddler clutches his mother’s dress, the hem
Unaware of tragedy
Unwary of the Horror that awaits him
The child is frightened and shaking
His name is Gene, the second of three
After Richard, before Michal
He is just a little one, no taller than Mama’s knee

A child clutches his mother’s hand
Unaware from behind her skirt as they are herded
Unwary of the disaster to come from the cart
His name is Genie, the second of three
Before Mikey, after Richie
He is just a child, no higher than Tata’s knee

A boy holds his brother’s hand tight

Unaware of the danger he is in

Unwary that the coin from Mama’s skirts will save his life
The boy is healthy and strong, though not for long
His name is Gene, the second of three
Before Michal, after Richard
He is naïve, but soon to grow up prematurely

A prisoner holds his own shirt, unsure
Unaware of the pain that is coming
Unwary that he shall walk away nevermore
The prisoner is hurting and bloody
His name is “Gefangene,” the second of two
After Richard, before the crimson mess
He is crying for a bloody towel carried by

A handicap clutches Mama’s leg
Aware that he cannot cry as she shuffles him out
Wary that outside her skirts is the hunt
The handicap is hurting so badly
He name is Gene, the second of three
After Richard, before the new bump
He is unwilling to believe

A kaleka holds tight to his brother’s back
Aware that he is a burden
Wary that he is a load
The kaleka is waiting, waiting.
His name is Gene, second of three
After Richard, before Theresa
The kaleka is ready for release

The dziecko holds again to Mama’s skirt
Aware that he is now free to leave
Wary that he will never be independent
The dziecko is elated and mourning
His name is Gene, the second of three
Before Theresa, after Richard
The dziecko will never be the same

Sixty-five years later
Gene holds Rosie’s hand tight
Aware that he is old now, having lived fully
Wary that death is imminent at last
The great-grandfather is peaceful and content
His name is Tata, Grandpa, Gene, husband, and more
He is the last one left of his war
The survivor is ready to reunite with his family
He gives thanks to Hattie’s skirts
That kept him alive through the hurts.

This poem is a tribute to my great-grandfather, Eugenius “Gene” Zdzislaw Borowski, a father, a grandfather, a great-grandfather, and a Holocaust victim.

In 1939, the Germans took Warsaw, Poland. When he was only four or five years old, Gene’s family was taken by Nazis. He remembered being herded like cattle onto cattle cars, with barely enough room to breathe. He remembers the days spent on these carts, rocking back and forth, the Polish Jewish prisoners standing in their in own excrement, blood, vomit, and worse.

The family was brought with thousands of others to Dachau, a concentration camp for Polish Jews. As they were unloaded, they were put into two lines. Fearing the worst, Hattie asked a soldier where each line led. He told her- one goes to the work camp, the other, the “showers.” As clever as she was, Hattie knew that was no shower she wanted to be taking. Fortunately, Polish ladies are clever. Most of them would keep coins sewn into the hems of their skirts, for emergencies. This certainly counted as an emergency, so Hattie pulled the coin from its stitching and bribed the soldier she talked to into putting her family into the work lines. He took it, but warned her that they would probably still be separated.

Separated, they were. Many of the weaker prisoners were taken from the work lines to be experimented on. Gene and his baby brother Michal were separated from their family. Gene was brought to a room where the doctors stuck needles into certain spots of his lower back in search of nerve endings and spinal connections. They wound up paralyzing him. As he was in rehabilitation, awaiting the attempts to see if they heal him, he saw a nurse walk by, holding a bundle of cloths the size of a basketball, dripping in blood. The man in the cot next to him, a wounded soldier, told him that the bundle of cloth held the remains of little Michal, whom they had been testing out stitches on him by cutting his throat from ear to ear to see if they could successfully stitch him up. (Spoiler alert- they could not.)

After little Gene was paralyzed, his mother found him and smuggled him out of the experimentation ward by having him hold her leg and hiding him under her dress. After they brought him back to where they were staying, Hattie had Richard (who was about nine at the time) carry Gene on his back while he worked.

This went on for quite some time, but Dachau was eventually shut down by the American soldiers. When the prisoners were set free, Gene was separated once more from his family, this time for good. He never saw them again. He did regain the usage of his legs for a good portion of his adult life, though he did finish off his life in a wheelchair. He married and became a stepfather, finally dying in 2004 at the age of 70, the events described having taken place over 65 years earlier.
Gene lived a long, full life, though he was damaged severely by his experiences. In writing this, I wished to bring to life a horror that we must never forget as a society. I also wished to tribute my lineage, knowing that without the atrocities that he endured, Gene never would have come to the United States. His suffering as well of the suffering of thousands of others did not go without its positives. Much of modern medicine exists because of the human experimentation that took place in the concentration camps, like what happened to Gene and Michal.
There is much that can be taken away from this story. First, Gene’s torturers were as human as he. The entirety of the Holocaust can be seen as one large-scale example of what humans are capable of doing to other humans. Many Nazis would return home to families of their own. Maybe they had wives, babies, toddlers, and children. They were people, and they were afraid. Many didn’t want to support Hitler, and many opposed the persecution of millions of people. Some were even Jewish, but knew by admitting it, they would, too, suffer. Nobody should be tortured like Gene, and nobody should have to torture others to survive.

All we can do is learn from the past and use it to move forward towards a brighter future.

Translation notes:
- “Gefangene” is German for “prisoner.”
- “Kaleka” is Polish for “handicapped person.”
- “Dziecko” is Polish for “baby” or “child.”

mem228 DIAMOND said...
mem228 DIAMOND, Attleboro, Massachusetts

The only person you should try to be better than is the person you were yesterday.

This is absolutely beautiful.