I hate myself- but I love myself (because I have to) | Teen Ink

I hate myself- but I love myself (because I have to)

By DesmineRobinson PLATINUM, Melvindale, Michigan
DesmineRobinson PLATINUM, Melvindale, Michigan

"Life is an opportunity."
"Different is normal."
"We have to love ourselves, so we can properly love someone else."

Now's the time in life that I have realized I am not as great as I thought I was. All that I did means nothing. All of the poetry, all of the music, all of the performances, the grades, the friends, the help, the change..... it means nothing. I'm left here with 3-day old pants- week- old socks- and a night-old headache- year-old regrets- and year-old battles with my mind- are climbing to the surface- so sad on the inside- even though all of this joy was on my face and mind and heart- all day long.  I clawed myself out of the light- and chained myself back into darkness. And my hands have fallen asleep again.... from all of the rubbing- I keep trying to rub away my problems- but they aren't liquid- they aren't spills- they are dry paint- and messy garage- a dirty basement- a ruined car- a dirty face. And I'm walking the plank- because my heart- oh how it stinks- my mind has gotten me in deep misery this time- and to elaborate any further would be a retrograde back into self terror- so I'll end this by saying- despite how much I hate who I am..... I love myself.