The Purple Lady | Teen Ink

The Purple Lady

July 7, 2014
By writeitout BRONZE, Macon, Georgia
writeitout BRONZE, Macon, Georgia
2 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Do not go gentle into that good night... Rage, rage against the dying of the light." - Dylan Thomas


The purple lady saw everything, everything the world didn't.
The purple lady saw when the tears couldn't be held back anymore,
The purple lady saw when the girl's father came home and knocked himself out with aspirin chasing it with whiskey.
The purple lady did nothing but stare at the kitchen,
day in and day out, but the hallway that she hung in was more exciting than most of the father’s work days, or so he said.
The purple lady saw when the girl’s mother stormed out, when she stormed out and didn't come back.
The purple lady saw when the girl had to pull her passed out father into bed and then wake him up for work the next morning.
The purple lady saw her lie to the tax collectors when they asked for her father.
The purple lady heard the girl when she was in her room and reality hit like waves on the shore.
The purple lady watched her go to work each night after
tending to her father.
The purple lady saw as the hope grew in the girl’s eyes and the stubble grew on her father’s face.
The purple lady saw her save her money.
The purple lady saw her gather her things and leave in the dead of night, leave and never come back, just like her mother.
The purple lady saw the father deteriorate at the kitchen table.
The purple lady saw her father pick up a pistol and leave, leave and never come back, just like the woman he once loved, and the daughter he never treated right.
The purple lady saw reality in it’s darkest light.