You Remind Me | Teen Ink

You Remind Me

By Anepre SILVER, Winnipeg, Other
Anepre SILVER, Winnipeg, Other

Potential doesn't mean s*** unless you're willing to work for it

I look upon every middle aged man

With brown hair, light blue jeans

And a light blue shirt on and say Mom he reminds me of dad She always says no he doesn't Maybe it's cause I don't remember What he looks like anymore Off the top of my head I write about my dad a lot Maybe its cause he used to write songs Maybe writing is the only way To remind myself that I am him I am the embodiment of my father I hold my mother up so She can keep on walking My mother said I came out Of the womb talking She says I never was a child I became mentally mature at the age of 5 My childhood consisted of holding My family together Making funny faces at a camera To remind them that their day Didn't go so bad I remind myself that i can be happy Just don't think about your wedding day Ali “And now for the father daughter dance” Or how about I walk myself down the aisle I think about my father I danced with him at a wedding once I was a flower girl He was my princess Seriously he put on my tiara and danced with me I remind me of my father So determined to finish a life time I hold onto every last waking breath I stay up late at night I hear noises This one time I swear I heard voices Coming from my closet I heard your foot steps coming up the stairs Only to realize it was my overactive imagination I'm afraid of monsters I create these beings in my mind I think I got them from Buffy & The Vampire Slayer She reminds me of how brave I have to be You see dad I am not a princess But the knight in shining armor

Holding up the castle As I wave my sword against all enemies known Even in the darkness Where all these creatures called human beings Create and mutilate a young child’s mind I am young enough to be afraid of monsters But I am old enough to know that we create them Mom says, you know your freckles are like your fathers We would try to find constellations in his back The big dipper is not hard to find in the darkness of the night sky She would then claim that I have his facial expressions Glad to know someone can make these horrible faces I look at old photographs of you from before I was born I see them as memories never shared So I place those photographs in the back of my head Some day my daughter will do the same I will see you in my daughter The laughs you and I never had Will become hers She will say what was grandpa like? I will say well you remind me of him

Here is another one about my dad