Just to Let You Know | Teen Ink

Just to Let You Know MAG

Your butchering words
In the beginning
Went through my head
As a child who listens
To every word you say

Your constant sarcasm
Your words which
I thought were the truth
The never giving up

Just to let you know, Dad
Those butchering words
To me are now worthless
For I know now
It was only your sickness

aciansgirl said...
on Feb. 18 2009 at 11:31 pm
wow soo true wow hearbreaking wow me too...

on Feb. 18 2009 at 10:43 pm
UndercoverPoet SILVER, Weston, Florida
I, too, had a verbally abusive alcoholic father. Our relationship was always rocky, and I finally had the courage to stand up to him and refuse to see him. I almost cried when I read this poem. Thank you for bringing up the issues so many teens face.

giggles said...
on Feb. 18 2009 at 6:45 pm
wow. strong words but it so true!!!

The Violist said...
on Feb. 13 2009 at 8:04 pm
This is verbal abuse, and I have gone through this. We may not realize this but abuse is all around us but still we have no clue. This poem describes what it feels like to be abused verbally and it is just so truthful and I loved it

mcButt3r said...
on Feb. 7 2009 at 4:03 pm
wow, i really like that alot....sometimes i feel like that with my parents....they say things that arent true and u believe them...then u realize that they just say things, and u feel hurt..

SickBeat5 said...
on Jan. 30 2009 at 4:44 pm
WOW. I really love this poem, you have some talent, alot of it. <333.

singer said...
on Jan. 23 2009 at 7:44 pm
my father has a very serious sickness.

he went to prison when i was four years old, and now i am fifteen years old. the reason why i am sending this, is because i relate to this poem. don't you think that it's pretty neat to relate to something, especialy to somrthing that you've just read?

on Jan. 22 2009 at 6:14 am
great poem! i write too and this does leave people with alot of questions. I hope u got over whatever was going on. Keep Writing. This could get u somewhere! :)

catlover said...
on Jan. 17 2009 at 8:39 pm
What a great poem. It is short, but very descriptive and gets the reader curious of the full story.

on Jan. 14 2009 at 12:41 am
Your poem is really good. i feel like i can really relate.

on Jan. 13 2009 at 3:53 pm
Wonderful poetry. Leaves me with alot of questions. Which is why I must say that your poem's meaning has been taken for granted. I can see the poem's potential. It doesn't have to be about a girl whom is struggling with her father, I feel it has more meaning, more insight, and can be interpreted as a whole new story. So I appreciate your work because you took simple words and utilized them into a hundred differnent thoughts.

xxJustxxme said...
on Jan. 11 2009 at 5:53 pm
This is really great! I can completely relate to this.

dreamer said...
on Jan. 9 2009 at 11:06 am
I hope this isn't the only place you've said this; I hope you told your dad all of this as well.

It's all out there you know? Everything is just put out there, Said.

But it makes you ask more and more questions the second you're done reading it.

lovergirl said...
on Jan. 9 2009 at 10:12 am
i very strongly relate to this. i too have problems with my father, tho they arent alcohol related, which i suppose make the words cut deeper, considering he's in his right mind. VERY good poem! :]

Holly said...
on Jan. 8 2009 at 6:01 am
This really resonates with my childhood. It's awesome, pretty gutsy.

mkayla said...
on Jan. 6 2009 at 8:44 pm
aw this is really good. it reminds me almost exactly of a poem i wrote about my dad, called "i want you to know", although yours is very much more to the point.

on Jan. 5 2009 at 3:34 pm
this was very powerful. i enjoyed it. keep writing :)

on Jan. 5 2009 at 12:24 am
very good emotional poem i feel u n good job.....

martinez said...
on Jan. 1 2009 at 6:03 pm
look closely at the people you love, especially those who claim they love you back and make sure their words are not just words because not to many people say "i love you" and know the meaning behind it. keep your emotional attatchment distanced, it doesnt mean its not there, but it makes it that much easier to let go of the ones YOU love because (and im sure youve probably learned this) you will have to let go of the least expected people, but hey thats just me, good poem i liked it

sarie.[: said...
on Dec. 18 2008 at 6:29 pm
I liked this a lot. A lot of poems, you can't understand, but I understand this one. Keep up the great work..sorry that happened to you.