Happily Ever After (Never Ends) | Teen Ink

Happily Ever After (Never Ends)

December 4, 2013
By djmdwl94 SILVER, Loving, New Mexico
djmdwl94 SILVER, Loving, New Mexico
5 articles 1 photo 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14


You promised. You... promised.
You know, I've never been "that girl"; the most relaxed, or the calmest...
But, you promised, and let's be honest, I'm a sucker for a promise.

I once heard that promises kept are promises wasted.
Now what does that even mean?
Is that to say that promises are made to be broken, because if I had known that,
I would have chosen not to open myself up to every lie that was spoken.
And with that same mouth you described it yourself: "Bittersweet poison".
As if there wasn't enough passionate worldly emotion in your voice to warn me that this would be pointless.
If I had only realized the multitude of voices I was really allowing to influence my decisions and choices
Following the lead as if I was voiceless,
But it was those quiet, inaudible moments that were defining;
As if we were responsible for our bodies' designing,
And you could change my future like this fleeting feeling was somehow a silver lining.

So I guess I am "that girl". But aren't most?
Doesn't everyone long to love and be "loved"? (Ugh)
Excuse me if I'm cynical but its pitiful that this same trap has been losing people since the beginning.
Our flesh wants to be satisfied;
It's called "lust".
And instead of using our head, we blindly trust any little physical feeling of "need" that arises in us.

Speaking of trust... You promised there would always be an "us". What happened there?
Let's just say there were plenty more habits, hobbies, and secrets than there were promises,
Most of which I was unaware.
Those secrets became the very reason I'm so scared.

But! What about "the one" who will someday prove they're not all the same?
We've all heard the story a hundred times.
The one who will sweep you off your feet the moment you meet
And in that instant you'll finally feel complete; Nothing else will matter: the past, the future.
The one to erase all the lies, abuse, and compromise.
So, wait. Where's that guy?
It may come as a surprise, but that infamous "Happily Ever After", is not the finish line.

Everyone's searching all their lives for "true love" and meaning through one another's eyes.
I've wasted so much time trying to define my worth in other people's minds.
And I've busied myself questioning God,
"When will you bless me with that person?
Is my faith in your abilities not in proper proportions?
Or am I asking too much? Am I too quick to judge?"

But the GREATEST love story of ALL TIME...
Is already mine.

God demonstrated His own love for us in that while we were still sinner;
While I was distracted, and I overreacted,


Christ died for us. For me.
There's really nothing that compares to that kind of love.

You were intricately woven, specifically chosen
To be God's loved one, to inherit His Kingdom.
Now that's a promise.
A promise of redemption and freedom, an opportunity to walk with God like in the garden of Eden.
Can you imagine the mercy, and perfection, and love on His face when we finally get to see Him?

That's a promise worth putting my trust in.


The author's comments:
The inspiration for this piece came from past experiences and conversations I've had lately with friends about the importance society places on relationships and the idea of "soul mates" or finding "the one". I want people to understand how madly in love God is with them and that they are precious in His eyes.