Cemistry | Teen Ink

Cemistry

By TalyaGelfand DIAMOND, Bronx, New York
TalyaGelfand DIAMOND, Bronx, New York

Something that comes easy, won't last. Something that lasts, won't come easy.

People always say opposites attract. This comes from chemistry. When a positive ion, a proton, and a negative ion, an electron, find their way to each other, they immediately attach to one another even though they are polar opposites. However, speaking in the sense of people, I do not think opposites attract at all. I think people try to find someone who is exactly like them, have things in common with them. It is human nature to be attracted to someone like you. I think that everyone feels misunderstood, so we search for people like us because we believe that they will understand us; that we will finally be understood by that one person. And when that one person understands you and knows the way you act or think or even how you like your coffee in the morning and your cup of tea at night, it feels like chemistry. And that's when it happens. When it feels like chemistry, it becomes chemistry. You start to see that the person you found to be most like you, is actually the complete opposite. You start to realize that the similarities that attracted you to each other once before, has now grown to be dull; an ongoing repetition of the same boring topics. And as the dullness grows, so does the feeling of end and loss. And as the feelings start to grow, the more you want what you once had before. A love that didn't exist.