The Funny Things in Life | Teen Ink

The Funny Things in Life

January 13, 2013
By musixgirl19 BRONZE, Fort Mitchell, Alabama
musixgirl19 BRONZE, Fort Mitchell, Alabama
4 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
We are all men, In our own natures frail, and capable of our own flesh; few are angels.- Shakespeare, King Henry VIII


I find it funny that my parents tell me not to give into conformity, yet they want me to be like every normal teenager in the world. They tell me that my style makes me look like some kind of person you would find on the streets. I hate that more than anything. Why can’t I be the real me? The real me is a girl who loves writing and music. She likes to be random and make things for others out of the blue. Why do I have to hide behind this girl who wears pink and frilly things? This other girl my parents want me to be doesn't write or create play lists and poems for other people. She keeps to herself and tries to exceed her parent’s expectations. She tries to be perfect and friends with everyone she meets all the time. That’s not me. I don’t need to look effortlessly beautiful in order for people to like me. I don’t need to be perfect, I just need to try my hardest in everything I do. All I need are a few friends who like me for who I am. They see the beauty on the inside of me. I wish my parents could see the beauty on the inside of me instead of focusing on my outer beauty all the time. I wish they would understand that I need my individuality not conformity. Conformity is the one thing that bothers me in Society. I wish Society would realize that conformity doesn't help anyone in any way. Some may say this is a poem, others may say it’s a rant from a teenager about life in today’s Society. But remember an object is only beautiful in the eyes of the beholder.


The author's comments:
I read Self-Reliance by Ralph Waldo Emerson in my English class one day and I wrote this> Transcendentalism is very inspiring to me