A Thousand Wishes | Teen Ink

A Thousand Wishes

By MelxRose BRONZE, Franklin, Pennsylvania
MelxRose BRONZE, Franklin, Pennsylvania

Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. --Buddha

If I could have a thousand wishes
I'd wish that man would swim with fishes.
I'd wish that girl would find her head
I'd wish the creak out of my bed.
Wish the life I want to know
Wish upon things; how they should go.
For the lost sock my foot never knew
For the boy; his eyes were blue.

I'd wish up a storm
I'd wish up a squall
I'd wish the party wasn't so loud down the hall.
There'd be candied health
And the exercise chair
Instant wealth
And easy-straight hair.
Wish upon wishes
Change upon change
That would go on and multiply
Again and again.

But I bet I could do
Really I could
For just a few wishes
Please if you would.
I'd wish up some love
All good and sweet
And sprinkle it well
At everyones feet.
Tracks to the mall
Tracks down my hall
Tracks to the grump
Who lives in St. Paul.
And then pretty soon
With the love everywhere
It'd all float up
And into our hair.
Someone would breathe it
And cough and sneeze
And the whole world would catch
A happy disease.

So for all of the wishes
I thought I would wish
From the smallish to large
And almost biggish.
I don't need them I guess
When it's all said and done
I'd just wish for love
To fix everyone.

Spread the loveeee. :)

1011says said...
on Aug. 2 2010 at 8:16 am
This poem is a really good

on Aug. 2 2010 at 7:46 am
Alcanno DIAMOND, Mexia, Texas

"If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is
made up of."

-- Bruce Lee

The feeling of love and happiness is spread to every one who reads this amazingly written poem, so maybe you don't need those thousand wishes after all! Great stuff, maybe could you check out some of my stuff? Thanks and keep writing!

on Aug. 1 2010 at 3:13 pm
MelxRose BRONZE, Franklin, Pennsylvania

Ohhh...well thank you for teaching me something new! :D

Miseltoe GOLD said...
on Aug. 1 2010 at 1:52 pm
Miseltoe GOLD, Boneville, Georgia

I'm a loser and I love to lose. Each time I lose its different, it teaches me something else... but winning loses its glamour after the first few times. so I love to lose

slant rhyme is when it doesnt really rhyme complety... like change and again they have a similar sound but there not exact rhyme like hall and mall. So it makes it flow and brings attention.  :)

Danica SILVER said...
on Aug. 1 2010 at 1:09 am
Danica SILVER, Avondale, Arizona

"It is our choices, that show who we truly are, far more than our abilities." -- Albus Dumbledore

I absolutely love this! And I have to agree with tara, that this was so wonderful because it was light-hearted and happy but meaningful and happy at the same time.  You've got a lot of talent! Please tell me what you think of my work sometime :)

on Jul. 31 2010 at 7:54 pm
MelxRose BRONZE, Franklin, Pennsylvania

You're welcome, and thank you very, very much! I have come to notice that a lot of poetry is dark and depressing, and a lot of people commend the dark writing for being insightful or helping to expose something terrible in the world....or readers just like the angst. I have nothing against it, but I like writing happier poetry, mostly because people tend to pay so much attention to the bad things nowadays....I want to help put focus on the happy things. I'm really glad you enjoyed it! :) 

on Jul. 31 2010 at 7:44 pm
MelxRose BRONZE, Franklin, Pennsylvania

Hahaha, whatever floats your boat! :)

tara* BRONZE said...
on Jul. 31 2010 at 7:15 pm
tara* BRONZE, Westcliffe, Colorado
I agree, i was reminded of shel silverstein as well. But what I wanted to say was that it is nice to read a meaningful, well written poem that is not dark and angsty, or about sadness or loss of love. I get caught up in thinking that all good poems come from dark places, and I'm not sure why. This is the first time in a long time I have read a poem that i liked that was no so dark. Thank you.

on Jul. 30 2010 at 2:01 pm
Scarecrow BRONZE, Vancouver, Washington

"A father is a banker provided by nature."

-French Proverb

I'd just wish for sandwich.

on Jul. 28 2010 at 9:25 pm
MelxRose BRONZE, Franklin, Pennsylvania

Thank you!! Your short compliment is just as good as any long explanation. :)

on Jul. 28 2010 at 9:22 pm
MelxRose BRONZE, Franklin, Pennsylvania

Thanks so much! I can honestly say I have no idea what slant rhyme is, but thank you. ^^;

on Jul. 28 2010 at 9:11 pm
katiepickelsimer GOLD, Dededo, Other

Throw your dreams into space like a kite, and you do not know what it will bring back, a new life, a new friend, a new love.

-Anais Nin

This was a wonderful poem. It's just indescribable and I'll let someone else explain how good it is. :)

Miseltoe GOLD said...
on Jul. 28 2010 at 6:00 pm
Miseltoe GOLD, Boneville, Georgia

i also like the rhyming its simplistic which makes it lighter but the slant rhyme in it draws attention to certain parts. great job :)

on Jul. 28 2010 at 3:25 pm
MelxRose BRONZE, Franklin, Pennsylvania

Haha, thank you! I don't know if it's that good, but I'm gladyou think so. :)

on Jul. 28 2010 at 3:24 pm
MelxRose BRONZE, Franklin, Pennsylvania

Thanks a bunch. :) I'll be sure to return the favor!

on Jul. 28 2010 at 3:24 pm
MelxRose BRONZE, Franklin, Pennsylvania

Thanks much!!

on Jul. 28 2010 at 3:23 pm
MelxRose BRONZE, Franklin, Pennsylvania

I do have a tendency to be very simplistic with my rhyming...but that's mostly because I like the lilt to it whe nyou say it out loud. XD Thank you for the constructive criticism! :)

on Jul. 28 2010 at 3:20 pm
MelxRose BRONZE, Franklin, Pennsylvania

Wow. That is one of the greatest compliments to me, I love Shel Silverstein! Thank you so much!!

on Jul. 28 2010 at 3:19 pm
MelxRose BRONZE, Franklin, Pennsylvania

I'm really glad you like it!! :D Thanks!

on Jul. 28 2010 at 3:18 pm
MelxRose BRONZE, Franklin, Pennsylvania

Thank you, I'll be sure to retunr the favor. :)