Say 'No' to Guns in Schools | Teen Ink

Say 'No' to Guns in Schools

By Zoe Davis GOLD, Chicago, Illinois
Zoe Davis GOLD, Chicago, Illinois

The issue of gun violence in schools has been a pressing issue on the forefront of national politics in the past few months. Following the tragic shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary, many politicians and human rights activists have been calling for better gun control and ways to keep students more safe in schools. Some believe that school faculty and staff with extra training and concealed weapons permits should be allowed to carry weapons as a measure of increased security. This is regarded by some as a less expensive alternative to having armed police officers at the school.

Allowing teachers and other staff to carry guns is wrong. Guns do not belong in the classroom. It is not the teachers’ responsibility to be a security guard. Even if they have a permit to carry a gun, it does not necessarily give them the qualification to defend in the case of an attack. Operating a firearm takes a lot of training, and using it in the event of an emergency takes skill, reflexes, and training. Most teachers likely don’t have this training and probably do not have time to obtain it because of their responsibilities as teachers. When a teacher is in possession of a gun, it can take away from their most important job—teaching. How can a teacher educate if they are also thinking about defending their classroom in an emergency?

Other aspects to consider are unfortunate accidents and liabilities. If a student was injured by a gun that was in possession of their teacher, even if it was a complete accident, the entire school board would face lawsuits. There are many things that could go wrong, and many unfortunate accidents that could take place. A risk of that nature shouldn’t be taken, especially around children.

Guns don’t belong in classrooms. School should be a safe haven from violence that plagues streets and neighborhoods. If teachers and staff were allowed to carry guns, would that really make students feel safer? Using guns to combat gun violence just fights fire with fire.

Gun control is a problem that must be combated by rethinking the presence of guns in our society and not making the problem worse by adding more guns and allowing a mentality of using guns to solve problems to exist in school environment.