Does it snow in China | Teen Ink

Does it snow in China

By helloaugust17 BRONZE, Cumberland, Rhode Island
helloaugust17 BRONZE, Cumberland, Rhode Island

“Does it snow in China?” Sure.
“Do they sell fast food in China?” Of course they do.
“Is Thailand a country?” Are you kidding me?
“You are Chinese! I love Sushi!” Oops, Sushi is Japanese food.
“So he is not Chinese. He is from Taiwan.” Technically, Taiwan is not an independent country.
Every time I was asked questions like those above, I would restrain the words “stupid American” from coming up to my mouth. Then I would explain briefly, and force a smile that I attempted to conceal my contempt. Other times, I wondered why those situations would happen, American’s ignorance of most basic and common knowledge that every Chinese has.
Following are the reasons I figured out:
1.
Western Media:
Media, as a vital wind vane, direct those who have the most power, the people. During the Cold War, western media described Communism as evil, and Russia as a world depicted in the book 1984 written by George Owell: The Big Brother is watching, all the time. As an alliance of Russia at that time, China fell into the enemy category. Chinese government may even spend less time than U.S. government in listening to citizens’ phone calls because we never had a “War with Terriorism”. Freedom of speech, press, religion, petition, and assembly is clearly stated in Chinese Constitution.
2.
Individualism:
Individualism is a fundamental element in American political culture. The philosophy emphasizes human’s self-worth and privacy. Mind your own businesses! As many people may say. People are busy minding their own businesses instead of caring about others because they assume others don’t like to be intervened with their stuffs. The self-centered life prevents people from exploring the outside world. Chinese tragic history during Qing dynasty teaches us: ignorance will eventually result in perish.
3.
International connection:
Living in one place is always the best way to get to know it. Well-developed and well-civilized, west countries attract a tremendous number of foreigners, such as high school students studying abroad, like me. Our experiences are told to our family and friends. So the information spread. With the number grows bigger, Chinese get a whole, full view of United States. But as far as I know, not many western students come to study in China. The lack of connection causes the lack of knowledge. We reach out in one way, but get no reply from the other.
This passage only represents my personal opinion, highly biased. Maybe it would be better we all get rid of our biases and accept another culture with open attitude. Overall I will put a Sushi in my mouth no matter where you think it comes from.

I am a Chinese. I came to an American high school since my junior year. The experience in United States led me to those thoughts. I hope it is not too offensive. I apologize if it seems offensive to you. I really wish West can give more look to the East. We yearn for more attention instead of ignorance. We reach out and eager to get reply.