To What Extent is Our Knowledge Dependent on Language | Teen Ink

To What Extent is Our Knowledge Dependent on Language

By ellewlgs BRONZE, Beijing, Other
ellewlgs BRONZE, Beijing, Other

“The limits of my language mean the limits of my world.” was once said by Ludwig Wittgenstein, verbally underscoring the profound role language plays in the functioning of one's life perspective as well as the intricate relationship between language and knowledge. Within the framework of the eight Ways Of Knowing (Memory, Intuition, Faith, Reason, Emotion, Sense Perception, Imagination, language), language assumes a rudimentary role that among the modes, since majority of the other seven ways of knowing are often developed or obtained with the involvement of language. Consequently, it can be reasonably argued that knowledge is dependent on language to most extent, only with exceptions in a very few cases.

First and foremost, language builds the foundation for knowledge acquisition, it is the tool humans utilize to shape the understanding of the world around us. Majority of the approach for knowledge acquisition is dependent on language, which touches upon the topic of “how” humans form knowledge. Language is also the backbone of communication and documentation, and knowledge is conveyed through communication. Cambridge defines knowledge as the "understanding of or information about a subject that you get by experience or study, either known by one person or by people generally." In light of this definition, a strong and positive correlation can be established between knowledge and language. Taking examples from our daily lives, when people acquire knowledge through books, they are relying on the language written within the pages. Or, when people learn in school, knowledge is acquired through the utilization of verbal, written, and body language. Furthermore, human civilization’s ability to accumulate knowledge and foster intellectual societies hinges on the transmission of knowledge through the documentation and communication of language. Taking the supporting evidence of the area of knowledge of history for example, a significant portion of human knowledge stems from historical accounts. Whether it’s scientific understanding of the natural world around us or other cultural and societal norms. Nonetheless, it is needless to say that the knowledge passed on through history relies on language. The absence of documentation on historical events, such as history books or oral records, would result in a substantial loss of the knowledge preserved by human society today. Moreover, without the transmission of knowledge, which is something dependent on language, it would be difficult to say with confidence that our society would still possess as much knowledge as we have today, as knowledge is developed and branched out on top of one another. Thus, in the realm of transmission and foundational enlightenment, all knowledge is dependent on language. 

Secondly,  language directly influences the way people perceive the world around us, thus greatly affecting the way we receive and pass on knowledge.The concept of linguistic relativity, also known as the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis, supports this notion.The scientific findings support the saying which suggests that the language we speak influences or even determines the way we perceive and think about the world. It proposes that the structure and vocabulary of a language shape our thoughts and cognition. Different languages oppose different linguistic and logical structures in the process of categorizing and escripting aspects of the world; these categories are able to shape an individual's perception and conceptualization of their reality. A few examples can be taken from Lera Boroditsky’s ted talk speech. One example Boroditsky presented demonstrates how language can affect a community's way of seeing space and time. Another one was demonstrated using the real life case of an Aboriginal group of Kuuk Thaayorre. The Kuuk people in particular, view direction in a completely different manner than the commonly accepted standard solely due to their unique language system that does not have orientational words like “south” or “north”. In addition, language and different grammar rules (branch of langue) directly and heavily influences the way humans perceive things. For example, a simple sentence in English like “I broke my arm” does not necessarily indicate the person broke their arm themselves. However, if the sentence was translated to another language, the meaning could easily, or most likely be twisted and misunderstood. Furthermore, people are able to build their belief systems, subconscious biases, moral compass, as well as self and social cognitive skills based on the transmitted language they are exposed to. The most common example can be derived from religions, people form their entire belief system based off of resources produced from language. For example, The Bible as a book composed of written language has the ability of directly influencing a believer's willingness and cognitive approach in acquiring knowledge. 

Nonetheless, it would be quite absolute to say that all knowledge is dependent on language. It is fair to say that Although language is the foundational element for most of our knowledge, there are a few exceptions. For example, the knowledge regarding certain sensory perception such as the smell of perfume or taste of food can be acquired and directly stored into our brain without the use of language. We can also attain the knowledge of what colors look like without using language. Another example of exceptions appears in Bandura’s social cognitive theory study, where children were able to learn and pick up behaviors through mere observations without the use of any verbal or written communication. However, these examples would certainly be argued from the focus of the definition. For instance, it can be argued that children in the social cognitive theory study learned from body language, which is a type of language, and that colors and sense are only able to be considered as “knowledge” once they are categorized by language. The effect of knowledge from language can also be evident in Gerogey Orwell’s 1989 novel, where it presented a language system of “Newspeak”. In the novel, the controlled language system manipulates the minds of the underlings of Big Brothers in an utopian society. “Newspeak” acted as a tool of imprisonment of thoughts and knowledge. It limited a world of people's ability to think critically and openly, thus restricting their ability to articulate concepts and gain knowledge. People living under the oppression of Newspeak -- a manipulation system through language, built their belief systems and vastly different world perceptions through the controlled language alone, serving another potent demonstration of the significant role language plays in knowledge.

In conclusion, by looking at concepts such as Linguistic relativism, religions, how people form knowledge, the transmission of knowledge, as well as the effect language has on knowledge acquisition, it can be asserted that knowledge is greatly dependent on language with exceptions on only a very few cases, 

Citation

“How Language Shapes the Way We Think | Lera Boroditsky.” www.youtube.com, youtu.be/RKK7wGAYP6k?si=PI4HpUm8i0S17sNs. Accessed 27 Nov. 2023.  

“Newspeak | Literature.” Encyclopedia Britannica, www.britannica.com/art/newspeak.

philosophy analysis