Homeschool or Public School? | Teen Ink

Homeschool or Public School?

There are many advantages to homeschooling. I believe homeschooling is better than enrolling your children in a public school because it allows students to learn at their own pace, receive one-on-one instruction and guidance, as well as being a safer environment for children.

Homeschooling one's children allows them to learn at their own pace. If a student is in seventh grade but excels at math, it is easy to make eighth-grade math lessons available to him or her. Public schools are geared to teach the average student, which means students on either end of the scale may become neglected. Therefore, talented students may get bored easily and students who struggle will tend to fall behind. Homeschooling allows students to capitalize on their strengths, permits them to get caught up on the subjects that they struggle with and allows them to learn at their own speed. Homeschooling also isn't confined to learning out of a textbook. There are many different resources that homeschoolers can use that public school students don't have access to. Instead of learning about something out of a book, a field trip to learn more about that subject could be a better alternative and as well as a fun learning experience.

Children benefit from the one-on-one time that they get with their parent. In public schools, the class sizes can be very big and a student doesn't always get the help that they need when they need it. Homeschooling gives students the one-on-one time that they need. The parents also get to spend quality time with their child, so while they are teaching their children, they are also bonding with them thus creating a stronger family unit.

Homeschooling provides a safer environment for children. In public schools, students are subject to bullying, drugs, alcohol. These negative influences can affect the student's performance in school and can cause them to have low self-esteem, likely affecting them in the future. At home, children don't usually need to worry about those undesirable actions and can focus on their academics. Homeschooling helps protect the student from these destructive influences to some extent.

I believe homeschooling is a better option than enrolling your kids in a public school because it allows children to learn in a way that they can learn best, receive one-on-one learning, and is a safer environment for children. Children are a valuable resource in our world and they need to be taken care of in the best way possible.