Top 15 Between the Buried and Me Songs | Teen Ink

Top 15 Between the Buried and Me Songs

By theheavymetalist ELITE, Winter Haven, Florida
theheavymetalist ELITE, Winter Haven, Florida

Take me As I Am - James Labrie of Dream Theater

Now this and Dream Theater switched spots. Between the Buried and me is a progressive metal/metalcore band that formed in 2000 with their first album being the title album in 2001. They have released six studio albums and one EP over the course of a decade and are probably making music today still. I do plan to get as much as I can to show the true epicness that is this band. WARNING: if you don't like screamo music or metalcore, I wouldn't listen to them then.

15, Astral Bodies-Parallax II, the second track off of the album that tells a story. In this one Prospect 2, you'll know more about him if you just listen to the album, sheds his skin and plans to destroy Prospect 1's planet with him. It has a brutal sound when it needs to and it has a music video on Metal Blade Records. Though, Prospect 1 is the god in the video.

14, Foam Born-Colors, the first two tracks to BtBaM first true Prog album including folk rock, jazz, and polka as well. This is a good start to a fantastic album I recommend you check out. It is just over five minutes combined making it one of the shortest on the album.

13, Alaska-Alaska, this is one of the singles in the 2005 album along with Selkies: The Endless Obsession and All Bodies. Being one of the shorter tracks in the discography, it packs quite a punch in just four minutes. Tommy's vocals work very well and shows development between The Silent Circus and Colors. IT also has a music on their VEVO.

12, Sun of Nothing-Colors, the fourth track to Colors and is based off of a concept being that a man is fed up with life and builds a rocket to fly to the sun so he cam die. The thing is he thinks he's getting closer but that's just his imagination and he lives. If only it were intended to be in the parallax story.

11, The Black Box-The Parallax II, being about Prospect 1's ashened house and a guy who finds this note he written to his wife that never made it. This leads into the single Telos.

10, Bloom-The Parallax II, being about a dream that Prospect 2 had about killing himself by drowning that's explained in Swim To The Moon. Queen Sea and her kingdom seems to all be in a dream sequence. This is supposed to transition to The Parallax: Hypersleep Dialogues.

9, Fossil Genera, The Great Misdirect, the fourth track off of the 2009 effort. It speaks of these "Night Owls" that plan to destroy the planet and trick the people below. It lasts for 12 minutes and tells many perspectives on this topic as well. Soothing ending as well.

8, Mordecai-The Silent Circus, this was the first song I have heard from the band and it isn't bad in any sense. The second half kind of is left to put me to sleep. It was also featured in Rock Band being one of the harder songs to play especially on drums. This is also the fourth track on their second album in 2003. It also has a music video.

7, Obfuscation-The Great Misdirect, yet another one. Standing at 9 minutes after Mirrors, this is a brutal sounding track and it shows it too. It isn't much of a story teller but it is a good song nontheless.

6, Ants of The Sky-Colors, the fifth track to colors, it has a cool intro, being a folky style intro, and then unfolds a story of awesome. It is a bit lengthy, but so is Sun of Nothing, and it also goes into the next entry on the list....

5, Prequal to the Sequal-Colors, the only song thus far that I can sing front to back. It is the single in the album and a mighty fine one at that. Following the parallax story it shows how the world is built and destroyed in just 8 minutes. Much like Mordecai, it is also a playable song in Rock Band but the difficulty isn't as trying.

4, Specular Reflection-The Parallax EP, the first track off of the three track EP that starts the story of the parallax and how Prospect 1 and 2 cross paths and become aware of each other existing. It even has my favorite line in history. This is also the only time both characters speak at the same time.

3, Lost Perfection-The Silent Circus, the first two tracks in the 2003 album its core topic is the destruction of the planet and how the baby is born at that time and can't take the noise. It is revealed that the baby is Prospect 2 and the talkitive adult, Adult 3, is Prospect 1. It is the most story filled track on the album. It does have language in it so virgin ears may want to stay back.

2, Telos-Paralax II, the most epic song then and prior. At nine minutes it is split into three parts, the first part is Prospect 2's plan to destroy Prospect 1's planet. The second part is Prospect 2's wife's letters to him that never made it. It is alluded to have happened before she was killed in the fire. The last part is Prospect 2's invitation to planetary destruction, which he then refuses. This is easily single worthy. Watchmojo had this appear in Top 10 Decade Defining Hard Rock and Heavy Metal songs of 2010-2014, reaching number 8 along with As I Lay Dying and The Devil Wears Prada.

1, Swim to The Moon-The Great Misdirect, the sixth and final track to the album it talks about a man, Prospect 2, drowning himself at night with the moons reflection. Self Explanitory? Yes, but it takes nearly 18 minutes to clean up. The phenominal ending to the album and also a pretty sad topic, until Bloom came along and ruined it forever. The longest BtBaM song to date and one of the best prog epics of all time. Right up there with Blackwater Park, 2112, and Octavarium.

This has been the Grim Reaper and I will start my discography review for the band as soon as Serpent and the Sphere is uploaded.

Between the buried and me is awesome and people should check it out.