Coarse Cable | Teen Ink

Coarse Cable

By DramaticWritingsByMK SILVER, Raleigh, North Carolina
DramaticWritingsByMK SILVER, Raleigh, North Carolina

"During the 1960s, I think, people forgot what emotions were supposed to be. And I don't think they've ever remembered."
-Andy Warhol

“All characters and events in this show—Even those based on real people are fictional. All celebrity voices are impersonated…. poorly. The following program contains coarse language and due to its content it shall not be viewed by anybody.”
Well at least that’s true. Ladies and gentlemen that is what begins the horrid show that some of children in this very room watch into the late hours of the night. According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, children in the United States of America watch average of 4 hours of TV a day! And hundreds of those shows they watch are for adults. These “shows” are infiltrating the minds of children all over the country. This must stop, before it is too late to take an antidote of knowledge to their fragile mind. But do not panic for we can solve this monstrous conflict with the power put in our hands.
As an illustration to what our peers and beloved ones are watching, I have taken a highly watched program know as “South Park”. I chose this controversial show because it is every thing that is wrong in the world of TV. Comedy Central airs this show around 9:30PM, which as you may know is an accessible time for kids of middle school age to view it. This show uses major vulgar language to comment on recent current events. Many parents are unaware that it is TV-MA or equivalent to rated R. It also takes a vicious stab at race, religions, cults, politics, and other widely talked about subjects. The plot is made out of farce and propaganda and set up in squalor of a story line that does not and will not stay on track. Therefore it does not teach the values of a proper story line. Some other shows that are having a negative influence on children are programs like Family Guy and other shows earlier in the evening. These shows all affect the student’s behavior, crudeness, and education and should be permanently abolished from cable boxes around the world.
So how is it affecting them? This growing problem is affecting children in all kinds of ways. This growing problem uses violence as humor, which can truly affect the minds of innocent children. What the creators of these vile shows don’t know is that war and other conflicts of our nation are something to fix, not make fun of. If children want to have a political view they read the newspaper. South Park and other shows in the media make children think they have a political view. And the views they get from these programs aren’t good; they are negative. In addition to politics, entertainment today is recreating hostile racism in a audience of children and adults. Didn’t we want stereotypes and racism die when of Dr. King said, “I have a dream…” But no! The media of today is recreating it as humor! Now tell me, is that really right? And still they make fun of the religions of the world with more stereotypes and racism. Even the celebrities that kids across the nation look up to are affected by the shows.
Now how can we stop the perforating pixels of the media? Not only have I come to realize the malevolent shows in the media, but also that great people have created alternatives to put the power in adult’s hands. For example the V-chip is the cable creation to block the horrors of entertainment and let in the good ones. Also other types of simple parental controls can stop the very shows that threaten kids. But otherwise an ultimatum of TV and play can be made between parents and kids replacing the ever so popular Tube. Children need to convince themselves to have the willpower and maturity to say no to images placed in their head like a sinister poison. And parents discourage the viewing of TV shows that might change your child in drastic ways. And encourage the will of responsibility with rewards and verbal praise.
In conclusion, the viewing of these shows is strongly discouraged. So do not let the erosive poison of TV shows flow any longer. Use the will power to cut off the rushing circulation of images and sounds dripping with hate. Convince your elders to use the immense power of the v-chip and alternatives alike. Help to ware away the propaganda stained in our minds .So one day, children will be innocent once more. And next time you push that small button decide which show you will watch.

I wrote this as a 7th grade speech.