Popular Girls in UGGS | Teen Ink

Popular Girls in UGGS

By morgie7<3 PLATINUM, Tremont, Illinois
morgie7<3 PLATINUM, Tremont, Illinois

"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."
~Michael Jordan

Everyone says that you have to have a Hollister top and leak Abercrombie to be accepted. Everyone has the girl in their grade that walks like she has something to prove, puts others down so she feels less insecure, and hugs you while stabbing you in the back with her designer earrings. Everything about her seems perfect...her clothes her looks her laugh....except one thing...her attitude. The boys gush and the girls roll their eyes. Why is it that they can't see through a pretty mask and a flirty laugh? You may be the nicest girl on the planet with average looks....and they don't care. You cry, reapply the makeup, and carry on.

The constant verbal put-downs on every girl that doesn't leak Chanel when she cries are almost too much to bear. The teachers see, but brush it off like a fly. They know how middle school girls can be, their used to it. But we're still getting used to it. They roll their eyes, hand you a tissue, and tell you to toughen up. 'You'll meet people at work someday who are worse.' 'Go see the guidance counselor, you're disrupting my class.' 'Would you stop fighting??!?! It's not that big of a deal if she has more A.Eagle clothes than you. Cheer up!' So you slip on you favorite tee,not Aeropostale, much to everyone's dismay,and carry on.

Everyone sees the outward shell, but what they don't see is the personality and the home-life. The popular girls don't have either. Their home-life probably isn't the best, and their personality obviously sucks. Their harsh words sting like cold wind. You wish you had name brand to cover up in, or the latest Aerie jacket. Instead, you snuggle up to Walmart fleece...and carry on.

Ends up the girl you least expect will come back to the twentieth class reunion gorgeous and thriving at her new job as a model or whatever. And she had NO friends in middle school! Cause why? She wasn't worthy of friendship because she didn't own Abercrombie jeans, or a pair of UGGS. Why is she thriving? She carried on...and didn't worry whether the popular girl backstabbed her with designer earrings just because she didn't own a Hollister tee.

on Jun. 23 2011 at 10:46 pm
BadKindOfLucky BRONZE, Indianapolis, Indiana

\"Basic rule of advertizing and eternal damnation: Once you sell your soul to the devil, he holds the copyright.\" -Brian QAF (wanted to put additional quote by Harvey Milk...space did not suffice)

It really is the attitude. I dont care what these girls are wearing because i like how i dress. But they love to act like their opinion matters more to you than your own. Which is completely FALSE. They steal their ideas on "hott" clothes from magazines...they conform and then want you to conform. By conforming you give them power and fullfill their hidden desire to fit in. Be an innovator :)

on Jun. 20 2011 at 3:01 pm
russianreader BRONZE, Charlotte, Vermont

"Good, better, best. Never let it rest. Until your good is better and your better is best."

?????????????

on Jun. 20 2011 at 3:00 pm

I disagree. Some people want to deny that this kinda thing happens but it does...Some people say it is  sterotype or biased or whatever, but these ideas have to come from somewhere and that somewhere is from real life expirences...

on Apr. 18 2011 at 8:25 pm
WithEyesWideOpen BRONZE, Wayne, Pennsylvania

You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.

This is very true. I love to see the good come out on top. I, myself am not popular or rich, but I like to believe that I am pretty grounded. I know things will work out for me if I just keep pushing forward. I was taught this way I just feel bad for the people who have things handed to them. They just don't know what that real friendship or accomplishment feeling. So, sorry to all you popular girls out there. That's right, I feel sorry for YOU !

on Apr. 18 2011 at 6:32 pm
rubyrainstorm SILVER, Closter, New Jersey

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.
-Buddha.

Whoops, I said badically, but I meant basically. Sorry!!!!!

on Apr. 18 2011 at 6:31 pm

-Buddha.

LOVED THIS! It is soooo true, come to think of it, the "popular table" at school reeks of money and designer perfume. I can't believe it, and I sometimes laugh, because I'm only in middle school! Girls are already bringing out the microminishort skirts, and badically see through designer tank tops! But this piece was great, and you spoke in a strong, independant voice. BTW, if you have time, please check out my poems, You Are the Lyrics In Me, The Girl Inside, and Remembering Spring. Thanks!!!! 8)

normgrl GOLD said...
on Mar. 31 2011 at 12:04 pm
normgrl GOLD, Jacksonville, Florida

Do we eat to live or live to eat?

Though it was rather stereotypical and overexaggerated, I understand that you probably wrote it with your own experiences in the back of your mind.

on Mar. 29 2011 at 12:17 am
GretaGibson PLATINUM, Vancouver, Other
you make a good point, but i agree that this may have been slightly exagerated. This begins at a very young age, i was descriminated for being who i was and dressing the way i did as early as grade five, i also agree that they become strong and carry on but they probably wont end up a model, and they may not end up gorgeous, but they will be able to say they pushed through high school. So yes, this article itself was exagerated BUT the message was right and hopefully this someday will change

on Mar. 27 2011 at 8:11 pm
redpanda26 SILVER, Chevy Chase, Maryland
this was overexaggerated, unpopular people have uggs/abercrombie too and some popular people don't. and not all popular people are mean. this was very stereotypical and biased, i didn't like it.

kahlua319 said...
on Mar. 27 2011 at 3:48 pm
im not rich, probably lower middle class, and cannot afford these clothes and understand what it's like to be discriminated against simply because of that- HOWEVER, you're being really discriminating against people just because of how much money they have too. Just because somebody has money doesnt make them mean- its not their fault their parents are who they are. and would you hold it against them if they just really liked the way abercrombie clothes looked? some are b****es however you cant just label everybdy as something based on how they are dressed.

WriterGeek<3 said...
on Mar. 16 2011 at 8:06 pm
I totally agree.

WriterGeek<3 said...
on Mar. 16 2011 at 8:04 pm
Just because someone has Abercrombie and Hollister etc clothes doesn't mean they have bad personalities. Having UGGS doesn't make you a better person. If someone doesn't have as much money that doesn't make them automaticaly better.

on Mar. 5 2011 at 7:26 pm
teacat749 BRONZE, Whitefish Bay, Wisconsin

We do not quit playing because we grow old. We grow old because we quit playing.
-Oliver Wendell Holmes

...What has become of our modern culture?

snakeman said...
on Feb. 11 2011 at 10:20 am
snakeman, Swampscott, Massachusetts

i am snakeman

i love men and snakes that is y i am snake man but i really am shaniqua

snakeman said...
on Feb. 11 2011 at 10:17 am
snakeman, Swampscott, Massachusetts

i am snakeman

yo the names shaniqua and i be haten so lashon is mine homegirl so u can hop off and get steppin girl

on Feb. 11 2011 at 10:14 am
haterzgonhate, Swampscott, Massachusetts

"Vini, Vidi, Vici"

gGUrl i knOoW how YA feEll i LovVe A BoiII naMD LAshOn AndD H3 ignORes mE AlL th3 tiMe fO' DiS GurLL ShOWNquA. sHe oNLy wAer mAdDdD A..eAglE

Spenser BRONZE said...
on Feb. 8 2011 at 6:06 pm
Spenser BRONZE, Amawalk, New York
We have that one girl in my grade, who's popular but is a complete b*tch. However, she is kinda average looking at best. People respect her for her singing talent, and since I'm in the Drama group, almost all my friends admire her. So yeah, I get what you're trying to say.

KayKay:-) said...
on Feb. 5 2011 at 6:09 pm
Um, 'scuse me? I DO NOT shop at Hollister, Abercrombie, or AE as I do not exactly like their clothes. And I don't have Uggs because I just don't like them. Even so, all of my friends say I have the best fashion sense out of everyone. Strange much? LOL. Funny how this clothing discrimintaion or whatever usually only affects girls. Huh. Coincidence?

on Jan. 27 2011 at 9:23 am
Just because you have named brand clothes does not your mean or snotty popular person.I have name brand clothes and I m not a b**** to people.Popular means you have a lot of friends the people youre talking about is the ameatures.just to let you know. ohkay.ohkay! Byeee (:

tweedstars said...
on Jan. 17 2011 at 1:09 am
I don't understand how you could compare Abercrombie and Chanel.  I like to treat my personal fashion as an art, not something I conform to.  I like to live in a mix of super-cheap Forever 21 and the occasional designer piece.  I really don't think wearing something expensive brands you as a sell-out.