Run When You Can (Chapter one) | Teen Ink

Run When You Can (Chapter one)

March 4, 2011
By pheebz88 BRONZE, Concord, New Hampshire
More by this author
pheebz88 BRONZE, Concord, New Hampshire
2 articles 0 photos 16 comments

Favorite Quote:
It takes ten times as long to put yourself back together as it does to fall apart


Author's note: I just started writing this one day and really liked it...I hope you will like it too! :D

The light streaked through my world of complete darkness. It toyed with me, fading in and out of my line of vision. It flitted through corners and toward the edges of my vision but never close enough for me to see what it really was. I heard the faint sound of voices, to whom they belonged I couldn’t say. The darkness had been my captor for I don’t know how long and part of me wanted it to stay that way.
“How long will she stay asleep?” A tired sounding voice asked.
“I don’t know. She has been asleep for…” Something cut this voice off, almost like it didn’t want me to know how long I had been in this world.

I fought the darkness and sleep now, wanting to know how long I had been deprived of the light. My eyelids felt heavier than a ton of bricks. They felt almost glued together; they could have been for all I knew. I opened my mouth and tried to say something, anything but not a sound came out. I finally succeeded in opening my eyes and the sight scared me. I was lying in a whitewashed room. Everything was white and everything screamed clean. The woman who had spoken before turned to my bed, and upon seeing my eyes open, jogged over to the bed.
“My dear, I see that you have woken up. How are you feeling?” The woman had a certain edge to her voice, reminding me of something from a bad movie. I could tell that she didn’t really mean what she said.
“I think I am fine.” My voice was scratchy and my throat burned from just those five words.
“I will get you a glass of water and then we will be on our way.” She turned and walked away, her heels clicking on the white tile of my room’s floor.

I sat up and instantly felt lightheaded. I forced myself to continue however and stood up. As I walked over the door, a burly man stepped out from nowhere and blocked my path.
“I don’t know where you think you are going.” The man had blue eyes, almost grey. His hair was shaven to the point where I couldn’t tell if it even existed anymore. He had a tattoo on the back of his neck of a sun with some words in it that I couldn’t make out.
“I…I’m sorry. I thought that the woman wanted me ready to go somewhere.”
“Patient 32, you are not supposed to be out of that bed, let alone go anywhere. You are in here for a reason and unless you are in dire need of something outside of this room, you are not supposed to be leaving this room for any reason. Do you understand?”
“Yes sir. I am sorry. Why am I here?” I strained my brain, trying to think of a reasonable explanation for all of this but my mind came up blank. Suddenly, everything went black and I fell to the floor. The darkness took over and I saw images of the knife and of a little boy, screaming for mercy. My mouth opened and I could hear myself screaming. The images were terrifying, like nothing I had ever seen before. I willed them to stop but they just got worse to the point where I couldn’t stand it.

Finally they stopped and the light seeped back in, lighting up the darkness. I was back in the room, the burly man standing over me, looking quite concerned.
“Are you okay? You seemed to be having…I don’t know a spasm?” Different from the woman, the man actually sounded genuinely concerned.
“I don’t know…I am wondering the same thing. So what is this place?”

At that moment, the woman reentered the room and set down a tall glass of water in front of me and ordered me to drink. The cool liquid slithered down my throat. It felt good and I gulped the rest down. The man looked at the woman and they exchanged a look, probably trying to decide whether or not to tell me what I am doing here.
“Patient 32, you are in a mental hospital. You had a breakdown and killed two people. You have been in a coma for the past two months. You killed a young boy and his mother on a subway train. They were the only two people with you on the train but the police found your DNA on the weapon. I am sorry.”

My vision went blank. I couldn’t think, couldn’t process what I had just heard. Somehow I had killed two people and didn’t remember a thing. The haunting images came back, the boy and his mother huddled in a corner, quivering with fear. The mother stepped forward and a hand raised a gun. How did I know all of this if I had never seen these people before? I didn’t even own a gun.
“So I killed to people? I don’t remember a thing…I don’t even live by a subway.” I was confused. I hadn’t ever been on a train, not that I could remember.
“You were vacationing in New York City and you were riding a subway. You are right, you don’t own a gun but you killed them by hitting them on the head, causing a fatal wound. Both died before they reached the hospital.”

I stumbled back to the bed, holding on the railing for balance. Not only had I killed two people, but I hadn’t even given them a chance to live. What kind of person was I? Oh right, a person who took joy from killing and hurting other people.
“We are going to go now. We will be back in the morning. Have a good night.” They back slowly out of the room. The lights dimmed and even the world of light faded to a shade of black.

I lay down in the nest of white blankets and mulled over what they had just told me. Not only was I a nut case, but I would probably end up spending the rest of my life in prison because of my previous actions. The tears that I had been holding back started to leak, slowly making trails down my face. Each tear was unique, special in a way that is hard to explain. The make their trails, each one different, and then they leave, just like that they are gone. The thought comforted me and I slowly drifted off into the world of darkness once again. This time there were dreams though…dreams that I had never had before.

Vines spread around my legs and arms, holding me in place. I was in a tunnel, waiting for something to come. Lights, blinding lights shone in my face as they grew closer and closer until...nothing. Then I was inside the subway train. I watched as the mother and son climbed on the car, not knowing their fate. I screamed out to them, telling them to get of the car and never come back but for some reason, they couldn’t hear me. I was hysterical, jumping up and down, waving my arms. They were oblivious, continuing to walk. Finally they found a spot that they deemed acceptable and sat down. Within the next few minutes, the train lurched to a start and flew along the track. All of a sudden I felt myself get up, although I didn’t know how because I wasn’t trying to move. I walked over and grabbed on of the loose metal bars and pulled. My legs carried me over to the mother and son, and then I hit the son over the head. His eyes rolled back into his head and he crumpled to the floor. The mother screamed a blood chilling scream and started to sob. Before I knew what I was doing, I had whacked the mother over the head. As she crumpled to the floor, I heard her say… “Please…spare my…” That was the last thing I saw…

I woke up with a start, my head dripping in a cold sweat. My breathing was labored and I was shaking. This was what I had done, and that was what the woman had begged, for me to spare her…I didn’t know the ending of that phrase because she had died before she had finished. Some part of me knew that this was not the end. The window showed the blackness of the outdoors. I didn’t know where I was and for the first time I felt scared. Not only was I alone, but I had no idea what I was doing here and I had no memory of the murder except the dreams. I was still shaking but not as bad as before.

The complications of this world puzzled me. I couldn’t figure out why this had happened to me. Why did things end badly and why did they start so good. It was a bittersweet moment. Eventually, I fell back into sleep. I had the same dream over and over but every time, something felt wrong. Something was missing but I just couldn’t put my finger on it. Something that was important was gone.

I contemplated this when I woke up, again in a panic from the never ending trickle of dreams. After about an hour or so, the man and woman from the day before came back. They were dressed in a clean pair of the exact same clothes. I realized that I probably hadn’t taken a shower since I got here. Immediately self conscious, I looked down and mumbled a hello.
“You can take a shower if you would like. There is one right over there.” The woman gestured toward a door that I hadn’t seen until now.

I walked unsteadily over to the door and pushed it open. There was a small sink, a toilet, and a shower in the corner. It wasn’t much but it was exactly what I needed. There was already a new set of clothes sitting on the toilet with a towel. A bar of soap and shampoo sat on the shelf in the shower.

The cold water hit my skin, waking me up for real for what seemed like the first time in years. I basked in the droplets, making the shower last for as long as I could before the man knocked on the door and told me to hurry up. I sighed and turned the water off. My skin was dripping and my hair tumbled down my back in a collage of knots and tangles. I found a comb in the cabinet above the sink and forced it through my hair. Water fell to the floor in a puddle and swirled into the drain on the floor.

I put the clothes on and walked out the door, back into my room. The man and the woman were standing in the exact same spot they had been when I had gone into the bathroom.
“Hi, um, I never asked you your names…what are they?”
“My name is V and his name is F. Your name is Patient 32. You are not to refer to yourself as anything but that…do you understand?” The woman glared at me, looking at me with her cold blue eyes and sharp facial features.
“Yes, I understand.” I replied meekly. I didn’t want to get trouble from this woman, seeing that I was already in a mental hospital.

Suddenly, I head screaming from what it sounded like, somewhere down the hall. The sound of shoes thumping against the floor met my ears as well as the screaming dwindling and finally fading.
“Who was that?” I asked, somewhat perturbed.
“Oh, that was Patient 12, she is a schizophrenic. That happens about once every week or so, depending on how her medications are working.
“Oh, is she okay?” This some how troubled me, I found the screaming disturbing.
“Well she is suffering from the mental disease which causes you to believe you are two different people. She has severe mood swings and in bad times, gets violent. We still haven’t figured out why this happens to people but we believe that it is because of traumatic events that happen to a person in their younger lives. She has a very rare case seeing that it normally starts in the later part of someone’s life.” The woman said all of this in a monotone, making it seem like she had given this speech many ties before, she probably had.
“Oh, well I guess I had never really heard of that before but okay. So what do the doctors think I have?
“Well, they believe that you may suffer form a severe case of passive-aggressive disorder where you become very aggressive at certain times. They also believe that you my have suffered a small case of Alzheimer’s after the murder. We aren’t sure but we believe that you did.”
“Oh. Well I don’t think that I am very violent…at least I don’t think I ever was.” I was confused, scratch that, beyond confused. It didn’t add up. I was supposed to be violent, but yet those dreams scared the heck out of me. I couldn’t remember anything that had happened revolving around the murder, but I had no problem remembering what was going on when I woke up.
“We will be going now. If you have any questions, please don’t be afraid to ask them.” With that, V turned and walked briskly out of the room, followed by F.

I pondered over what had just happened. This girl, who ever she was, had to have suffered more than I could ever imagine. If she was really as young as they made her out to be, she couldn’t be much older than I was.

As I sat alone in my room, I wondered what had caused me to murder two people. I couldn’t feel anything though, no remorse or grief. No pain at the mention of these two people who I had allegedly killed. Maybe I am just a bad person, a psychopath who kills people for the fun of it and feels nothing after. No, I couldn’t be that. I had a life before I killed them. I wouldn’t just go crazy and kill a woman and her child because I felt like it. But you did so deal with it.

The great parts of my mind were battling it out inside of my head, making everything seem murky and more confusing. I had enough on my plate already, what with being in a mental hospital and all. But somehow, I hadn’t yet been able to shake the feeling that something was wrong and it was right in front of me but I couldn’t quite reach it.

After the argument that I was having with myself finally stopped, the silence couldn’t come quick enough. But sadly, it didn’t stay either because the shrieks of the schizophrenic girl pierced through it. Echoing off of the walls, the screams sounded farther away this time, like the girl had moved or was running. I knew that this was impossible seeing that they hadn’t let me leave this room yet and in my mind, I was a lot more stable than this girl.

However, I had killed two people when on a crazy rampage. My mind chose that moment and anything else previous to forget. Heck I couldn’t even remember my own name, let alone think I am stable. I chuckled to myself, thinking how crazy this situation actually was. This was something that I am supposed to be watching on the television at home, not living. It was like a twisted soap opera, where nothing was happy and there weren’t any romances. It was a life that had started out happily, or so I thought, and ended up in an insane asylum for killing two people. By now, my chuckles had turned into a full out laugh and I had fell to the floor. My laughter turned to sobs as I curled into a ball on the floor. That was the last thing I remember before falling into unconsciousness yet again.

Honey, honey wake up. You are home and safe. Everything is going to be alright. My head lifted up, expecting the face of someone who cared about me, say my mother. Instead I awoke to find the face of the woman I had killed. “Why did you do this to me? What did I ever do to deserve this?” By now the woman had leaned down and started to shake my shoulders. Everything else stopped moving and the woman and I entered a world of complete light. “My daughter is gone. I will never see her again and you…you are responsible for it all. You’re a monster!”

I jolted up, hitting my head on the edge of my bed. I was shaking all over, not able to contain the fear that the dream had induced. For the first time that I could remember, which granted isn’t very much, I felt vulnerable and scared. I noticed that my body was shaking and cold sweat poured down my face. Now angry and confused, I got out of bed and stumbled over to the bathroom and filled the small plastic cup with water.

Gulping down the cold water, my mind cleared and eventually I calmed down. I had never felt this alone in all of my life but then again, I couldn’t remember all of my life.

A feeling of missing something was still hovering in the darkest corner of my mind, taunting me. It was something so blatantly obvious that it almost hurt. A shrill scream broke through my reverie. I spun on my heel, aware that it was probably the schizophrenic girl down the hall but wanting to make sure.

I ran to the door and juggled the lock that was hopelessly well…locked. I sighed as I heard the footsteps’ jogging down the hall towards what I presumed was patient 12’s room. I slumped down on my bed, willing myself to go to sleep. My mind however, was churning with ideas and theories that were all absurd. What if I am here because they want to do experiments on me? What if this is some crazy house that I will never get out of? What if I never see my family again?

I shook the last thought away for it was too painful to even be considered. I wanted everything to go back to normal so I could get out of this dreadful place. However, I knew that wasn’t going to happen anytime soon.

The door opened and I stood up, expecting something semi interesting to happen. Instead, I got F and V standing in the doorway, a cross look on both of their faces.
“Patient 32, we see that you have been tampering with the door handle. This door will always remain locked and there is nothing you can do about it. Do you understand?” V looked at me with eyes so cold they sent chills down my back.
“Yes, I understand. I was just shocked by Patient 12’s screams and I wanted to make sure that she was okay.” My voice was shaking, whether I was chilled by V’s stare or nervous I couldn’t tell.
“Patient 32, you are not to worry about the well-being of the other patients. I don’t care if you think that one of them is dying, you are not to care one bit. If I hear you say something like this again, you will regret it immensely. I hope that you have understood this and that I will never have to give this little speech again.”
“Yes, I am sorry. I have a question though. Can I meet Patient 12?”
V’s face grew taught and her mouth immediately turned down into a grimace. “No, we do not allow contact between patients. If we allow you to have contact with Patient 12, other patients will want contact and that just won’t do.” V seemed to be talking more to herself than to me but I understood when it was time to drop the topic.
“Well, okay. I am going to go back to bed now, if you don’t mind.” My voice shook a little as I was afraid of the outcome this answer might provoke.
“Actually, we have something we need to tell you. Because of your improving condition, we are going to allow you to move into the upper rooms. Here you may have some contact with other patients but you are never, and I repeat never, to come back downstairs and talk about this contact. The people down here are not ready for human interaction. If you are ready you can follow us.” The way she said this was harsh, and by the tone of her voice I knew that she wasn’t asking me, she was telling me.

The author's comments:
This was kind of a filler chapter. I don't want to rush the story so I am really trying to develop a good plot.

F and V strode out of my room and, looking behind to make sure that I was following, headed up the stairs at the end of the whitewashed hallway to the second floor. Up here, the walls were painted a soothing red and herbal scents filled the space. Compared to downstairs, this was like an ultra expensive spa.
“Patient 32, we know how enticing a blank wall is, but we have things to do and places to go so if you don’t mind…” V trailed off as I broke out of my little dream.

I started walking again and finally, at the end of the hall V stopped and opened the door with a little key card. The room was cozy…well compared to my other room. The walls were a soft hue of orange and lights were mounted on the wall. The king sized bed sat in the middle of the wall facing a bay window.
“Now that you are settled, we are going to be leaving. If you have any questions or need our assistance there is an intercom on the left side of the door. Have a good day.”

V and F walked out the door, shutting it softly behind them. When the lock on the door clicked, I walked over to one of the light fixtures and started to examine it. They resembled something you would see in a quaint little house, spilling out warm light. Just as I was about to turn away, I saw a little red light flashing. Craning my neck so that I could see, I reached behind the light and felt a cool object poke my hand. Walking to the other side of the lamp, I found the red light…coming from a security camera. Apparently they felt the need to spy on me as well as keep me locked up with minimal contact with any other human being.

Suddenly feeling very tired, I went and lay down on the bed. Almost immediately, the lights dimmed and I felt myself slipping away into the world of darkness yet again…

I was in the subway car, facing the mother and the young child. Huddled in a corner, the mother was shrieking and begging me not to kill her child. “Kill me instead…please!” She begged, repeating this over and over again. I raised my arm and saw the metal object in my hand. I pulled the trigger the first time and a bloodcurdling scream echoed around the subway car. The boy was laying in a pool of blood with his mother sobbing over him. Some dark part of my mind found this intriguing so I did it again, this time the mother falling down on to the ground. My arms and legs shook as I ran out of the subway car, running through throngs of people until I reached a lake. I had never seen this lake before, at least not that I could remember. I sat down on the edge of the lake, staring into the glassy surface, possibly searching for answers. Instead I found a face looking back at me…V’s face. “Good job. You have done all I needed you to do. Now that they are gone…we can keep you safe with us. Good job Patient 32, good job.”

I awoke with a start, expecting to find myself in my old room. It took me a good three minutes to figure out where I was and how I had gotten there. When I finally collected my bearings, the dream started to catch up with me. The images flashed through my head like they were on a never ending movie reel and the sounds played on repeat.

My legs moved on their own accord as they carried me to the bathroom and sat me down in the shower. There, I crumpled into a ball and sobbed. For what seemed like hours, I just sat there and cried. I cried for the loss of the two people I had killed. I cried for the loss of a family I couldn’t remember. I cried for everything and everyone.
After you cry you are supposed to feel better…I felt worse. I felt like I had betrayed some promise by crying. I felt weak and helpless just letting it all out like that. I stumbled over to the door and pushed the red intercom button, requesting a glass of water. A couple minutes later, there was a soft knocking on the door. My hand shook as I tried to grab the door handle, and after about five tries I finally got a good grip.

A girl about my age stood before me holding a glass of water in her hands. Her head was bent but I could see her blue eyes sparkling softly.
“Thank you.” I said quietly as I took the water from her.

She nodded her acknowledgment and closed the door behind her. I heard her light footsteps proceeding down the hallway. I walked back to my bed slowly, sipping the water and enjoying the feeling of it trickling down my throat. It was one of the few actually calm moments in the past couple of days.

Propping myself up onto the pillows, I started to talk. I didn’t have any memory of ever hearing the words before but they poured out of me like water out of a pitcher.
Hush little baby don’t you cry
Everything is going to be alright
For if your world is churning
Mine is ten times worse
You know what you did was wrong
But what I did was much, much worse
For everything you do…I do to

The author's comments:
This chapter is very important!!!

When I awoke the next morning, the world was bright. Light shone through the curtains and rippled along the bed sheets. My hair was probably a mess…I could feel the knots. I rose and shivered as my feet touched the cold floor. I couldn’t tell you how long I had been in here or even the day of the week. But I could tell you that I was unhappy with my circumstances.

I was stuck in a locked room with a security camera and unknown people watching my every move. I was in a mental hospital for…who knows what. Getting tired of recounting my misfortunes, I walked over to the windowsill and pulled back the curtains. The blinding light of the white landscape cascaded into the room…lighting up even the dark corners. I felt safe with all of this light, like no one could reach me. But I knew that that was not the case. A sharp knock on the door confirmed my theories and as I scuttled over to open up the door, I noticed the red bleeping light following me.

“Patient 32, good morning. We’re having some sort of…drill and we need you to follow us right away.” She looked out of breath and her face was a tomato red color.

Without waiting for an answer, she yanked my arm and had me running down the hall with her. When we reached the stairs, she pushed me down first and yelled at me to keep going until I couldn’t go anymore, then to go through the door at the end of the hallway. I tuned out after that, not really caring if I was caught in the fake drill or not. But something about this screamed real and I hurried down the stairs like she told me. At the end of what seemed like a million sets of stairs, the railing stopped and a long corridor stretched out in front of me.


Without a second thought, I raced down the hallway and yanked open the door. It was heavier than I thought it would be and took some time for me to open it. As soon as I could, I slipped inside the room and closed the door behind me. Seeing no one else in the small, cell like room, I backed up to the far wall and sat down, out of breath and tired. Suddenly, the lights turned off and the door opened then closed. The sound of heavy footsteps echoed around the small room as I scuttled back to the corner.

“Patient 32. How are you today? My name is A. You don’t know me and you never will. I am your worst nightmare and your best friend. You have two choices…one being to cooperate and the other being not to cooperate. I suggest you choose the first but…it’s your choice. You should know that if you pick the wrong one…you will be punished severely.” His tone was dark and chilling, sending shivers down my spine.
“I’ll cooperate.” My voice was squeaky and seemed to raise an octave with every word.
“Good choice. When I tell you to…you will walk to the center of the room and raise your arms out to your sides. You will feel a small shock, but nothing too harmful. I don’t want you to drop your arms until I tell you too. Understand? Now start walking.”

My feet moved slowly across the cold concrete floor. I stopped when I though that I was close to the middle of the room.
“Good, now raise your arms.”

I did what I was told and soon felt a small electric current running through my arms. Not enough to hurt me, but it felt funny. It was like one of those sensations that made you want to shiver repeatedly until it was gone.
“Now, I want you to close your eyes and think of the murder you committed. You do know that you murdered two people in cold blood. You are not to be happy anymore. We want you to think about what you did and never forget it. Understand.”

I nodded, a numb feeling spreading throughout my entire body. My eyes got heavy and my head slowly lowered until it rested against my chest. Images of the horrific crime I committed flashed through my head and the sounds of screaming were on repeat.

Inside of my head, a voice that was tiny at first but grew in sound started repeating: “You know you did it. You know you killed those two people. You know you did it.”

I knew that I had done it. I knew that I had committed the crime that I kept dreaming about. It was all my fault that those two people were dead. All my fault and I could never take it back. Warm tears started to run down my face as I thought about what I had done. They carved paths down my face, ending when they fell into my mouth, tasting like salt.

“Good job Patient 32. You can wake up now. Your punishment is over. When I tell you to walk, stand up and walk back to your room. Now, walk.” His voice was deep and commanding, like someone who was used to getting their way.

My feet moved on their own accord, carrying me up the many flights of stairs until I reached the door to my room. It swung open like it had been expecting me and closed when I was safely inside. The room hadn’t changed, yet I felt like it was more of an imprisonment than before. The walls seemed to have gotten closer and the hominess that I had been feeling before had now disappeared.

A voice came over the loudspeaker, startling me.
“All patients on this floor can now report to the main living room for social hour. You have exactly 45 minutes to socialize and then you are to report back to your rooms for your medicine that will be delivered to you.”

I walked out into the hall and followed the others to the large room through a door in the middle of the hallway. It was spacious and had a high ceiling that sported an expensive looking chandelier. People of my age gathered in the center of the room, while I stood off to the side, along with one other girl who looked familiar. As the time passed slowly, she started to scoot towards me. Finally, after about ten minutes, I walked over to her and extended my hand. She took it hesitantly and shook it, looking unsure of what to do next.
“Hi, my name is Patient 32.” I smiled warmly, hoping to ease the tension in the air.
“Hi. I’m Patient 12.” Her voice was light and melodic. It held a sort of accent that I couldn’t decipher.
“Oh. I have heard about you. Wait, weren’t you the one who delivered water to me yesterday?”
“I thought you might have heard about me. I apologize in advance for my screaming. I don’t know what triggers it but they tell me I have a very severe case of schizophrenia. And yeah, I was the one who delivered water to you.” She sounded almost disappointed that I knew who she was.
“No, it’s nothing that you can control. Don’t feel bad!”

The conversation dwindled off and I started hoping that the end of this social hour would come sooner rather than later. After what seemed like hours of standing and looking around the room awkwardly, the voice over the intercom finally signaled the end of this hour of hell.

I bolted back to my room and slammed the door shut behind me. The lamp shades shook because of the force and I giggled to myself. Suddenly, I felt a sharp pain shoot through my body. I slumped to the floor and grabbed my side, anything to try to stop this intense showing of pain. A voice played in my head, reminding me that I was not to laugh and I was to reflect on my previous actions. Shaking my head, I started to laugh again and the same pain came back.

Then, my mood completely changed. I went from laughing to crying in a matter of two seconds. The sobs shook my body as I recalled my dreams and…just about everything. What scared me the most however, was not the dreams or the fact that I had no idea who I was but that man, A.

The idea of him coming back and finding me was so profoundly scary that I couldn’t fathom what would happen. As I began to drift off into a restless sleep, I remembered his last words to me… “Good job Patient 32. You can wake up now. Your punishment is over. When I tell you to walk, stand up and walk back to your room. Now, walk.”

The author's comments:
This is a short chapter...I know and I am sorry. I was kind of debating what I should put in this chapter.

Ivy twisted and the once pink flowers were now shriveled and black. I was standing in a castle. People walked silently around, no one uttering a word. People say silence is peaceful, but this was eerie and sent chills down my back. I didn’t recognize anyone but they were all dressed in flowing black robes. It was chilly and I pulled my sweatshirt around me. As the moon continued to rise, the air got colder and colder, until I had no choice but to join the unknown people by the giant fire that was now casting shadows onto the old stone walls.

Just as I was about to walk away, a shriveled hand grasped my shoulder and turned me around with a surprising force. Expecting to see some old man, I looked up and immediately turned away. The face of the young boy who I had killed looked at me. His face, once jubilant, was now drawn and had shadows cast across it. His mouth pulled into a sneer and he raised his hand to strike...

The pain came even though I knew the dream was real. The look on his face when he had been about to strike was haunting. Immediately, the remorse settled in. I curled back up into a ball and didn’t move until I could see light coming through the curtains again.

I dragged myself out of bed and into the bathroom. I filled the plastic cup with icy water and gulped it down. Unsatisfied, I filled it yet again and drank it in one gulp. Undressing, I hopped in the shower and let the warm water cascade down my shoulders. It trailed down my face, mixing with the tears that had leaked out of my eyes. I stood there for who knows how long, just letting the now cool water soothe me. It was as if the troubles were being washed down the drain.

A sharp knock sent me into a frenzy. Memories of A came back, and I was afraid that if I answered the door, he would be standing there waiting for me. I wrapped a bath robe around my dripping body, toweling my hair as I walked hesitantly to the door. The knocking persisted until I flung open the door. Patient 12 was standing there dressed in a sundress with flowers speckling the fabric. I looked into the bathroom which housed my clothes…beat up jeans and a sweatshirt. She followed my gaze and giggled.
“Don’t worry; no one cares what you are wearing here. We never really get to talk to other people so when the occasion arises, no one is going to look at your clothes.”
“So true. Anyways, are you here for a reason or just to talk?”
“Oh, well I came to remind you that today is group therapy day.”
“What exactly is group therapy day?” I was beyond confused.
“Oh, a man comes and gives us all therapy. Although the first couple times are rough, you get the hang of it after time.”
“Well, I better go and get ready if I actually have to go somewhere today.” I was hoping my voice displayed happiness, but I was pretty sure that it was the exact opposite.
“Ok…I gotta go to so…see you!”

The door closed and I scurried back to the bathroom, suddenly cold. I threw my clothes on and brushed through my hair. I ran the toothbrush over my teeth and flung open the door…to find V standing there. Her hand was poised and ready to knock, her mouth open in a look of surprise.
“Why hello there Patient 32. I am glad to see you so…chipper this morning. I think I know where you think you are going…group therapy isn’t for another hour and a half. I brought you breakfast, I think you are going to need that if you plan on participating in group therapy. It takes a lot out of you.”

I nodded and took the tray from her. A glass of orange juice, two toaster waffles, and some fresh looking strawberries rested in separate compartments.
“Thank you. I guess I will be heading back in then.”
“Yes, I guess you will.”

The door closed with a sharp click and I sat back down on the bed. The food was good. I hadn’t realized how hungry I had been until I actually tasted food. I finished breakfast in record time, setting the tray down and laying back on the bed.

“All patients need to report to the common rooms. I repeat, all patients must report to the common rooms immediately.”

This was the voice that jolted me out of my dreamless sleep. I stood up and walked to the door. As I opened it, I saw a throng of people walking by. I joined the back of them and followed them into the room from yesterday’s social hour. A voice rang out…clear and loud.

“Hello ladies and gentleman. Come take a seat. We will begin group therapy in a minute.”

The voice was unmistakable. He was here…A was here.

The author's comments:
Sorry it took so long!

My body quivered. Sweat laced the inside of my palms as the man of my nightmares continued to talk. Not only was he standing in front of me, but it was like he was mocking me. His eyes followed my every move like a panther stalking its prey in the dead of night. A was pacing now, going on and on about how all of us had problems that needed to be resolved and the only way that would ever happen was if we all talked about how we were feeling.

An elbow in the side startled me, forcing me to open my eyes. In my time of desperation, I had closed my eyes for fear of actually having to look at A.
“Patient 32, I believe it is your turn to tell us about your feelings.” A smirked as he looked at me, his eyes full of a sadistic pleasure.
“Oh, yeah. Um, well I guess that I am feeling very confused at the moment. I am also sad and depressed and kind of angry.”
“And can you enlighten us on why you are feeling this way?”
“No, I don’t think that I can at this moment.” I returned his smirk.

A’s eyes widened and his smirk turned into a look of sheer disbelief. His grey eyes shone with anger and I could almost see his body shaking.
“Well then. I guess that we will just be moving on to the next person. Patient 57, would you like to go next?”

This process continued for another hour until finally, everyone had gone. A stood up from the stool that he had perched on and started to talk.
“Ladies and Gentlemen, now that we are done with this installment of group therapy, I want you to go back to your rooms and think about all that was said today. It is never good to keep your feelings locked up, no matter how embarrassed you are by them. All of you will be kept in solitary confinement for the next two days, doctor’s orders. They believe that you have been spending too much time with each other and need to be kept apart. You are dismissed now.”

We all stood up and started to file back to our rooms. The hallways were silent aside from the shuffling of feet. I reached my doorway and swung open the heavy oak door. As soon as it was closed, I heard the distinct sound of the lock imprisoning me for the next two days. A voice came on over the intercom.
“Patients, as A said, you will all be kept in solitary confinement for the next two weeks. Your meals will be delivered to you at the regular time. You are to reflect on your feelings and actions. We will be keeping a close eye on you so don’t try anything funny.”

The intercom fizzled out and I was left in a dreary silence to “reflect upon my feeling and actions”. After about an hour of doing absolutely nothing, I couldn’t take it any longer. I knew that I had to do something or I would go crazier than I already was.

That annoying feeling in the back of my head that something was wrong came back. I had banished it to the farthest corner of my brain for the past couple of days but I couldn’t restrain it any longer. It had something to do with what I had done.

The author's comments:
Filler...:(

That little thought in the back of my mind has grown to take over the rest of my brain. Every other thought was banished…only to be replaced by something much more frustrating and much more complicated. Everything that I had been told here was that I had done something wrong or that I was unstable.

But I knew that wasn’t the case. However many times they wanted to tell me that I had amnesia or that I was violent or whatever…wasn’t going to convince me that I actually had them. If I had “temporary amnesia” how could I have dreams about things that I didn’t remember and see the woman and child’s face so clearly. Thoughts swirled around my head at dizzying paces.

I couldn’t let this go….I needed to figure this out not only for my sake…but for my sanity’s sake. As I got lost deeper in these thoughts…things started to become clearer. Events came back and I slipped fully into my mind…loosing track of time and space.

Laughter echoed off the walls of the small wooden room. Presents wrapped in all colors and decorated with bows and ribbons sat in the corner underneath a tall Christmas tree. My father sat in the corner on the love seat, my mother nestled in beside him. She was holding a baby, one that I instantly recognized as my baby sister, Rose.

My brother, Jayden sat on the floor, entertaining himself with a piece of his torn up baby blanket. Embroidered by my grandmother, Jayden literally had worshipped that thing until the day he buried it in the yard and couldn’t ever seem to find it again.

My eyes focused again and I snapped back to reality…my overly homey room and my bed that suddenly didn’t seem so soft. A longing so strong it was almost painful filled my chest. I wanted to go back to my family and my real house…not be trapped in this room for the next two days because I had killed two people.

However much I wanted these two things I knew that I couldn’t get them unless I actually figure out what was going on here. I knew that I had woken up here and they wouldn’t tell me who I was or where I was from. Other than that…I knew nothing. The other patients seemed quite content to believe whatever they were told. None of them seemed to have any doubt in their minds that this was their new reality.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 9 comments.


CurlyQue said...
on Nov. 9 2011 at 11:32 am
CurlyQue, Hampton, Tennessee
0 articles 0 photos 5 comments
this was a really great story you give really great details. :)

charmiypiggy said...
on Mar. 14 2011 at 3:11 pm
charmiypiggy, Melbourne, Other
0 articles 0 photos 116 comments

Favorite Quote:
You eat food for the enjoyment of it; the fact that it helps you stay alive is just a bonus.

Here it is:

 

www . teenink . com / novels / sci_fi_fantasy / book / 54202 / Hunted/

 

Thanks!


on Mar. 14 2011 at 8:16 am
pheebz88 BRONZE, Concord, New Hampshire
2 articles 0 photos 16 comments

Favorite Quote:
It takes ten times as long to put yourself back together as it does to fall apart

Thank you so much for the feedback!  I can't find your book...could you maybe attach a link somewhere?

charmiypiggy said...
on Mar. 13 2011 at 7:34 pm
charmiypiggy, Melbourne, Other
0 articles 0 photos 116 comments

Favorite Quote:
You eat food for the enjoyment of it; the fact that it helps you stay alive is just a bonus.

(Sorry I took so long to comment! I couldn't find it.)

 

This is good; a very intriguing read. I will start first of all about what I liked about the story. 

 

The descriptions and wording were excellent. The plot was very interesting, despite being a little dark. 

 

However, I noticed a couple of things that I must point out. Firstly, schizophreniacs do not suffer from split personality disorder. There is much confusion about this, but they actually just suffer from delusions and hallucinations. And most patients are actually fearful, not angry. (lol. I was just studying a chapter about this. Glad to know that it's of some use.)

 

The way the the people spoke was very formal, with no slang. e.g. 'she is' instead of 'she's'. IS this intentional? Because it does make it sound rather odd. Also, I think that you spent a little bit too much time in asking questions and talking about the murder. Though it is understandable, as the patient would be very confused, it gets a little tiring after a while. 

 

Overall, great work! And please comment on my novel Hunted when you have the time!


bubj98 BRONZE said...
on Mar. 12 2011 at 6:27 pm
bubj98 BRONZE, Oceanside, California
4 articles 0 photos 32 comments

Favorite Quote:
"hate is a strong word ,but love is a stronger one"
"sometimes batteries help when the little robot inside your head stops working"
"i guess that guy over there is like...alive?"

this was very thought provoking especially her last dream/vision.however there was one dream that confused me:in it the deceased woman said that her daughter was gone because of her even though in the previous dialougue v said that it was a boy that she killed.i cant tell if this added to the mystery or was just a mistake...either way i found the whole thing very interesting.i loved it and suggest that you make more of it,scratch that,you HAVE to make more.

on Mar. 9 2011 at 8:18 pm
pheebz88 BRONZE, Concord, New Hampshire
2 articles 0 photos 16 comments

Favorite Quote:
It takes ten times as long to put yourself back together as it does to fall apart

Thank you so much! 

on Mar. 9 2011 at 8:13 pm
Timekeeper DIAMOND, Cary, North Carolina
62 articles 0 photos 569 comments

Favorite Quote:
"A guy walks up to me and asks 'What's Punk?'. So I kick over a garbage can and say 'That's punk!'. So he kicks over a garbage can and says 'That's Punk'?, and I say 'No that's trendy'!"- Billie Joe Armstrong, Green Day

This is pretty neat. It's dark, the setting is unique and creative, and you have a lot of potential for developing it into a quality novel.

on Mar. 8 2011 at 8:20 am
pheebz88 BRONZE, Concord, New Hampshire
2 articles 0 photos 16 comments

Favorite Quote:
It takes ten times as long to put yourself back together as it does to fall apart

Okay...I'l try to fix that!  Thanks!

Ryter said...
on Mar. 7 2011 at 5:49 pm
Ryter, Warwick, New York
0 articles 0 photos 49 comments

Favorite Quote:
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift, that is why it is called the Present.

O.O wow, that was great! There were a few grammer errors, and the paragraphs weren't exactly separated enough to tell the difference, but that was great! I can't wait for chapter 2! Oh, and at one point, you changed from 1st person to 3rd person: "I wouldn't go crazy and kill a woman and her child because I felt like it. But you did so deal with it." I don't understand, are you talking to yourself, or did you mean to say something like "But I did, so I had to deal with it."? And in those two senteces (just because I brought the up) they need some grammar fixes (this is what I would have done) "I wouldn't go crazy and kill a woman and her child because I felt like it, but I did, so I'd have to deal with it." I hope this helps! :) Keep writing! Can't wait to read more!