I Can Remember | Teen Ink

I Can Remember

By Colleen Stabler, Ann Arbor, Michigan
Colleen Stabler, Ann Arbor, Michigan

Summary:

Jane lived in complacent solitude until the age of seven. That was when she met Sal, the bread to her butter and her ultimate sidekick in life. She’d let him almost kill her accidentally, they cried when they were separated, and ate the same ice cream every summer. They had the same vendetta against his tyrannical sister, knew what was for dinner at each other’s house every single night, and knew the ins and outs of every nook and cranny of their heart, mind, and soul.
You could call them best friends.
They never thought about later, when they wouldn’t be so bound to the land and life that had only kept them captive for 18 years.
When they’d leave. Where’d they go.
They never thought about it as separate individuals. They were always side-by-side in their minds.
But dreams are always shadowed when another person blocks the sun. Not as a whisper of light in a violent storm but the storm itself. Or the chain-linked fences. Or the seams of your sanity; when you let that go, all goes. What do you do?
What do you tell the person who is your flesh and blood in all ways possible, except flesh and blood?
Love is blind.
Love binds you in ways like no other.
Life is real.

Colleen S.

I Can Remember

Colleen Stabler, Ann Arbor, Michigan

Hello! Thank you so much for commenting. I honestly can't tell you how much it means to hear good feedback.

I am working on a few new things right now and will post them as soon as I can.

Again, thank you!

P.S. This is a short story. Although, I may go back to it one day... 

on May. 12 2011 at 7:47 am
becauseHeloves BRONZE, Chesapeake, Virginia

Proverbs 8:12, 14 "I wisdom dwell with prudence, and find out knowledge of witty inventions. Counsel is mine, and sound wisdom: I am understanding; I have strength."

BTW, I was browsing through the list of novels and this time I decided to start searching from the last few pages of novels and I found yours. Your title and description immediately got me hooked and I was not disappointed when I started reading! I'm surprised this isn't rated higher, but maybe not many has read this yet...well I was the first to reply and I guess I'll be the first to rate! Tell me if you have any more works!

on May. 12 2011 at 7:40 am

Wow. This is beautiful. It has its grammatical errors, mostly spelling, but it's told so well and is very believable. Is this a short story? If so, you ended it beautifully, and if not, you have one person awaiting the next chapters! :)