The Hope of Earth | Teen Ink

The Hope of Earth

By MatteoViera, Warsaw, Indiana
MatteoViera, Warsaw, Indiana

F.E.AR has two meanings Forget Everything and Run or Face Everything and Rise your choice.

This my second time writing a narrative I hope it was enjoyable 

I walked outside having had training for one hour straight I was exhausted, then I saw my friends Dash and Rachel waiting for me outside it was so cold outside Dash is a pyrokinetic a rare ability, he can summon fire from his hands no one knows about his power only me and Rachel , my friend Rachel is an empath and you could see their breath while they said    
“Hey Jason how was training” I replied with
“Brutal, I had to do workouts for an hour then had to fight a hologram for two hours until I got the right form I also had to practice shooting lightning out of my hands to gain accuracy.” Rachel asked
“ Are you sure that you aren’t exaggerating a bit?”
“Well” I replied “maybe I did over exaggerate just a bit, I was in the hologram room for an hour.”
    We walked all the way home when we got to our houses we said our goodbyes and we left to go inside my house was a sapphire blue and once I went inside a had a face recognition in less than fifteen seconds.
         “Well” I thought “My parents updated the safety system” I went to my room and it still takes my breath. The wall are glass but only you can see the outside, but the outside can't see you. My room has a flat screen and a king size bed with a cooling system and is memory foam the whole way. Also a weight set if I want to get ready to train. Inside my house in a personal gym as requested by my instructor. Well after training I was really tired so I went to bed for the night.
         I woke up to my alarm clock ringing and I woke up startled scared out of my wits. First thing I thought was
        “ Darn it dad” I went to the kitchen where there was a cup of coffee ready for me my dad was at the door trying not to laugh barely able to say.
        “ Well you woke up early”  I replied sarcastically saying
        “ Haha great joke dad I’m dying of laughter.” Dad replied with
         “Well you have to get ready for school your friends are waiting outside” I drank the coffee as fast as I could barely remembering that dad likes his coffee strong so that woke me up with a jolt. I ran outside to see my friends waiting at the porch Rachel was the first to reply with
        “Awake sleepyhead, we were about to leave for school” I walked to go to school it was an average school if by average it meant learning to make a force shield a mix between a force field and a shield surprisingly really light, as well as supercomputers to learn how enforce the force field around the city, and if class showed you how to make weapons out of metal and then add some perks to them such as a lightning sword, which will shoot a lightning bolt strong enough to stun a person, then yeah my school is pretty normal.
              My first class is forging, which
“I am finishing making my first force shield we have to test it by shooting at it with different weapons to see which is stronger, so it is kind of like a contest.” I usually don’t make it till second place always beat by Martin our master blacksmith a title that Martin calls himself. As usual I came out of class in second because of a rocket launcher Martin made quite an explosion that rocket made to my force shield. We had goggles that gave us information on the rocket all I got was that the rocket blows up two seconds before it hits the target and shrapnel goes everywhere peppering hole into my shield I was working for three months. I was already had a back up that I was upgrading to stand to rockets, fire, acid, bullet, almost anything except for an electro magnetic pulse or an emp except for the whole school was made of high tech stuff so that test they were not going to risk erasing the supercomputers just to see who had the best shield. While wearing the goggles I noticed a flaw in his design it could barely stand quick fire like sixty bullets a second, so I decided to try and make a weapon that could shoot bullets three times that speed to make sure that the second test I would win.
    I went to train with Mr. Foster I was ready for a boring lesson on the art of fencing, but what happened was surprising He said
         “ I wish I didn’t have to tell you this but, these are dire times what the community is asking of me is too much but, I will tell you.You are to be released to protect the barrier from what I heard was that bandits are close to breaking the barrier’ people are going to stop them, but they are asking the ones with no combat experience to fight as well. I nodded and asked 
           “When do I have to go?”  Foster responded with
          “Now, we are going to have to take you to the armory, where you will choose the weapons you want to use. I was worried I had no idea what to do, but I went to the armory. When I got to the armory and was astonished at at the weapons they had in stock I choose armor that was made with guard cloth on the description it said “Light but when hit will harden to the strongest armor.” I also chose a sword that had a gleaming black metal. The last weapon I chose was a bow it had an anti gravity gadget which made it a lot lighter than most bows I grabbed arrows from a rack they were bolts that could when shot become encased with fire, lightning and ice. I walked to the barrier and set myself a little farther from the barrier to shot my arrows. The the battle begun the bandits seemed to have trained well they caught us by surprise. I went and shot arrows at the bandits the veteran guards seemed to use their swords more than bows or guns. So I shot my last arrow and I fought with the black sword. I was surprised at how much I learned at using the sword it was like it was a part of me. I some how knew exactly where their armor was the weakest I yelled out
        “Go for the legs.” A few seemed to have listened the others they just keep at hacking at the arms. One of the guards fell dead on the ground I was filled with rage I I ran to the bandit and then my rage came out and I couldn't control my lightning, and I tackled the guy while shocking him in his armor he fell to the ground spasmodically I thought “ Did I kill him?” I have never killed someone with lightning,but still there was a battle raging on so I pick up my bow and I took out two more bandits with my bow at the same time I laughed in amazement I was never this good, it was like all the years of training had all set in exactly when I needed it the most. When the battle ended I was weary and tired like everyone else was to. I went to check our loses, and our injured from the people that were dead weren’t a lot but the ones who were injured was on name that I recognized Mr. Foster, I ran to the Hospital wing to see Mr. Foster.
    Mr. Foster had a bandage on his knee and his arm was in a sling. He smiled when I came up to him and he said
   “ Well if it wasn’t for you I would be on the list of the fallen.” I asked
  “ What happened, what did I do?” He said” I was struck in the leg with a sword, and I fell on my arm
         “I saw that the person that struck me down had fallen and had a spasm.” He added
        “I never knew you had that much lightning in you. Thanks for saving me in the battlefield Jonas”. I was shocked at what I heard I have never heard this much praise from someone I replied
     “Your welcome.” I asked him
     “Do you know how I got so good with the sword?” He asked
    “ May I see the sword you used?” “
     “Sure?” I said curiously, but I showed him the black sword I grabbed from the armory. He inspected the blade and said “This is a rare metal, the way the metal reacts is that it strengthen, and sharpens from every kill, it can go to be stronger than diamond. Quite the blade you found in the armory. I just gaped at him surprised at my luck.
     “I don’t know, does this mean anything professor?” I asked he responds and says a sword like this presents itself in a time of need and it seems to have chosen you. Again I was shocked at what I heard, I thought am I dreaming then I thought of the words it presents itself in a time of need that worried me. I walked out with sword in its sheathe
       I walked to see if anything seemed dire, I was worried what was going to happen. The next day I trained all day working myself to the bone hoping to get better. I was thinking of what Mr. Foster said to me in the hospital. I talked to my friends about what happened. When I got to my friends they were a surprised as I was when I first heard it,
        “ So it was just lying there on the rack right when you needed to find it.” I responded to Rachel saying
       “Yes, why?” “Judging by what Foster said something bad will happen if someone doesn’t stop it.”
        “Yes, but Rachel what do we do to stop this terrible thing to happen?” 
       “ That I don’t know.” She said frustrated she almost always had an answers. Then they heard bells not just any bell, warning bells we all ran to the meeting house. The prime minister had called a meeting for the entire county The prime minister’s voice came from a speaker and said
      “ These are dire times an enemy named Typhoon, yes I know I thought that he was a myth, but he is very much alive he will reach us in twenty days. We have chosen two people who will choose their group of two other people to join him to try to fight Typhoon they are Jason and James Foster, we expect your groups to meet me in the meeting room in two hours. I was scared, I only fought one battle but I knew the group I would choose. I asked Dash and Rachel If they wanted to join me in the suicidal mission I was given not to long ago also told them that they didn't have to go, but they wanted to go with me we all went to the meeting house after we all ate and met up at the meeting house where Rachel was carrying travel medkit, and Dash was with a bag that contained food and another bag carrying bottles containing a vial of clear liquid I wasn’t sure what it was, I didn’t have time to figure out what was the clear liquid because the prime minister at that moment came in he asked
        “ So anything you guys need before you guys leave to a mission you might not come back from.
        “Yes actually I was wondering why me, you could have chosen anyone?” The minister answered with
         “ What you lack of experience you make up with skill. I thought to myself what, I don’t have skill, but I answered him with
         “Thank you, and we’d like a ride to go halfway to Typhoon.” He said “That can be arranged would you like a tent that can compact itself into the size of a stick of gum?” “Yes please” trying not to sound eager. He gave me a silver stick of gum and by the way the command word is simple build, and compact you can probably guess which one to use to build the tent or shrink into a stick of gum, I have another gift for you here” he gave me a dagger and added “ When you are holding the blade think of what you want it to transform into, I wish I could help you more, but you should get going.”
       I was grateful for the gifts I gave the stick of gum to Rachel and I gave a sword to dash that could turn on fire that I took from the armory. I had my force shield and the dagger and the black sword. I wondered what would happen I thought of a jet and the dagger began to transform I put it to the ground and it enlarged to a gold jet.
        “Well I think this is our ride.” I said just to lighten the mood. We walked into the jet and found out it had autopilot, the ride was calm until we our jet was falling from the sky  Dash jumped out of his chair and yelled
       “Grab your stuff and grab unto me.” I wasn’t sure what he was thinking but we grabbed our stuff and grabbed unto him. I thought I was going to die because he pushed us both out of the jet and then dived to catch up with us he grabbed us with his hands fire came out of his shoes and slowed our descent almost to a stop. A gold dagger sheathed to his belt He asked
      “Do you know why the jet malfunctioned” I responded with
     “It’s probably Typhoon let's make camp.” I said “build” and and the tent at it self into a huge tent a fifteen by eighteen we went inside and saw a buffet table filled with food and bunk beds first thing that I said was
       “How, the heck did they fit all this stuff inside a freak’n stick of gum.” Rachel laughed in shock Dash replied with
     “Same” mouth open. We ate and we went to bed, the mattresses were amazing I fell asleep instantly. I woke up feeling refreshed and great even though typhoon was going to kill us all if we didn’t stop him. We packed up and we hiked to Typhoon we got to Typhoon and thank goodness I was wearing my dark khaki pants because I almost crapped myself just looking at him I asked       “You guys ready for the fight of the ages.”  We heard typhoons voice boom
   “Hah, is this all they sent, three puny children. We saw Dash’s hands catch fire and he made a fireball and chucked at Typhoon’s stomach we saw it explode when it hit, Typhoon took a step back surprised, but smashed the earth next to Dash. Dash dived out of the way rolling on the ground I ran towards Typhoon electricity jumping between my hands with with rage I shoot arcs of electricity at Typhoon. Typhoon roared in pain and grabbed a rock the size of a truck and threw it at me. I barely ran out of the way meanwhile I saw Dash running at him throwing five glass vials at him all of them landed on his legs and the smell of gasoline filled the air and he shot a fireball at him again. Typhoon erupted in a wild fire Dash ran up to me and picked me up, Rachel went next to me to check both of us for injuries surprisingly none that were serious I asked
          “Okay what do we do?”
         “We could rush him and attack him with everything we have” said Rachel              “I have one more trick I can do but only as a last resort” Dash added a little bit worried. “Okay do you think we should.” I was interrupted with a sound an army of 6 feet metal soldiers marching towards in the front was Mr. Foster. The battle was now between the soldiers and Typhoon I ran to Foster He responded “Nice day to have a fight don’t you think” I laughed it felt great to laugh even though we might die, I responded with
       “ Thought you weren’t coming.”
He laughed and replied with “And miss the fight of the ages, never, lets beat Typhoon.” We both ran two Dash and Rachel
     “Hey, want to proceed with the plan?” Dash responded with “ I have nothing scheduled for tomorrow.” Rachel responded
     “Yeah” I gave Rachel my black sword and Foster the gold dagger it immediately enlarged to a sword. We charged at him firing fire and lightning Typhoon went to hit Rachel, but Foster shoved her out of the way and Foster got hit he went flying into a pile of rubble, Rachel ran towards him. I yelled in rage and blasted him with the hottest and electric bolt of electricity I could ever make when it hit Typhoon staggered backwards almost falling Dash ran at him and lit himself on fire and tackled his leg knocking him down to the ground. He was punching him on the nose repeatedly till he was knocked out he walked to me still on fire smiling He said
    “I think we won.” He chucked a molotov at him and he erupted in fire I asked him
  “ Where did you get that much gasoline?” Mr Foster walked to me leaning on Rachel for support his arm was in a sling.
     “Did you break anything?” He said “ Besides my pride, my arm and I dislocated my leg. I got the sword from Rachel and Foster and we all walked to Typhoon. He had shrunk to the size of an adult “What do you think we should do to him?” Mr Foster said there is a cell at home where it sucks energy so that he stays weak. Dash punched him in the chin so hard it snapped Rachel said
    “ Why did you do that?” “Don’t worry he’s immortal” we picked up Typhoon I threw my gold dagger and thought “Jet”  it transformed into a jet with a cell in the storage area. We put him in there for now and we flew home. We got home and we were congratulated in open arms we were heroes I first went to my parents who were crying in joy. I was hugged and kissed by my parents I asked them one thing if I could sleep I never realized how tired I was when I got home I thought “ what a crazy week this was.” And I fell asleep.