The in Between | Teen Ink

The in Between

By ArielH BRONZE, Regina, Other
ArielH BRONZE, Regina, Other

"Aim for the moon, because if you fail, atleast you'll be among the stars"

Author's note: I first started writing when i was only 8 years old. it is a true passion to me and i hope to be writing for many years. My style of writing is very unique because i write in my sleep just as someone talks and walks. My writing is vivid because i dream it then write it which gives me a huge advantage. This makes me able to see what happens before i write it and thus giving my readers a detailed imaginative piece of writing. My stories are fictional pieces but could happen in everyday life. I hope you enjoy my work.

During the first few years of my life I was pure, innocent to the core if you will. That was until he smashed his way into my life. The morning was as ordinary as it usually was, my alarm shook me from my slumber, I got dressed and I ate the same breakfast as usual. I was a normal child. My sneakers clapped against the pavement as I ran to catch the school bus down the street. As usual I was a little bit late, today my parents couldn’t drive me due to the fact that they’re work-alcoholics. The sun shone in the sky with little warmth, the cool breeze enveloped the earth and the birds uttered their silent songs. I would have to walk to school now. Horrible. I thought to myself. My first period teacher wasn’t my favorite teacher; she wasn’t even my fifth favorite. Madam Peire was my French teacher who taught with a ruler glued to her hand threatening the students to be quiet and listen. I wasn’t a bad student but she always had a way of finding the simplest flaws in my work and my personal appearance. I rushed down the street heading towards the school. It was twenty minutes walking time to get to the school on a fast day, but now it was an icy September day. I wasn’t going to get much traction in these shoes, so I decided to take it slow. It’s better to be later than I already was, than to slip and fall. I had already walked for fifteen minutes when the school had started to come into view. Only a few more blocks and I would practically be there. As I walked, a few cars past by not minding me at all. That is until one car noticed me. It was an older black sedan type with rust eating away at the door edges and the front bumper. The car pulled overr and a man lowered the window and leaned closer. “Hello darling off to school are ya?” “Yes, I’m late so I must keep going” I replied. A deep black cloud formed in the bottom of my stomach, but I kept my pace as not to show any worry. “Well I could give you a little lift and you would be there sooner.” The car rolled slowly forward in time with me. “No sir” I replied “I’ll be fine it will only take a moment for me to walk”. I quickened my walk slight panic washed overr my face. “Look, just get in the car, you will be much warmer and it will be fast I promise, I won’t hurt you”. He said. “No, I’m almost there” I shot him a bitter look. This man wasn’t going to leave me alone. I looked around to find any other person, but I was deserted. “Get in the f*ing car!” He yelled at me, anger spewing out of his mouth. “NO! I will not!” I screamed at him. That’s when I started to run. A man getting his morning paper walked out his door. He was my salvation, my first sign of hope from the scary man. This is what the man in the car also had seen. I barreled forward screaming for help but, I was cut short by an enormous pressure in my left leg followed by a sickening pop. I fell to the ground and rolled a few feet, the car rolled towards me and the man loomed overr me. I will never forget the sickening smile of triumph that swept overr his face. I fell into a sea of black water. Submerged in hatred and loss. I tried to call out but my voice was stolen by the man. His smile invaded my mind. Who was he? Why did he do this to me? Questions filled my pounding mind. I could hear a faint noise of tapping and silence. An odd silence. Where am I? My body tingled in pain as if I was lying on needled, a thick carpet of horrid needles. My head spun in circles as I pushed myself to sit up. The hardwood floor creaked under my weight. I pushed with my arms, but one became limp and I fell to the floor of needles. A surge of pain spread overr my left arm and shoulder. The pain in my knee still lingered but it was manageable. My eyes opened to feeble light that had no desire to spread. I could barely make anything out, all I saw was a trashy bed, boxes and a wooden crate that was much too large to fit into this tiny room. I let my body relax and soon the tingling subsided and finally disappeared in total. I fell back into the sea for what felt like hours only to be awakened with heavy breath blown on my face. I opened my eyes to see the man. His blue eyes burned into mine causing a swell of fear envelop me. A weakened scream escaped my lips only to be coverred by a rough hand. “Shh my dear, calm down” He whispered calmly. “Don’t mover you have dislocated your shoulder Hun” His hands moverd up from his sides and to my shoulder, one strongly holding my upper arm and one on the back of my shoulder. “This will not hurt one bit” he whispered concentrating on his task. I prepared myself for the pain. The thought of him ripping off my arm came to the front of my brain when he held his breath. I squeezed my eyes shut, locking myself away from him. Pain bolted through my shoulder and I let out a loud whimper. “It’s done” He said pulling away. He laid me down on the bed and tightly tucked me in with a heavy and thick quilt. “I’ll be right back I have something for you” he uttered walking to the other side of the room. He came to an old wooden door and slipped behind it. When it closed a slight click came from it. He had locked me in here I told myself. Sixteen years of my life and this is what has become of me. I fell back onto the bed and closed my eyes coverring my right arm overr my head. I heard no cars pass by and no birds as well. Where was I? The door clicked and he re-appeared with a tray. “You have to eat to have that arm heal well my dear”. He set the tray of food on my lap. Vegetables, bread and water wasn’t much of a meal, it looked good but I dare not touch it. He looked at me smiling and sat on the bed. “Oh how sorry I am. I have not fully introduced myself, I am Thomas Sage”. He smiled and reached his hand out. This guy was a joke I thought. Even in a small town like Bemot Ontario there was always the guy you just weren’t t sure about. The guy your parents told you not to be around. My parents. Would they know I was gone? Where were they? What time is it? When would they come? I didn’t know the answer to any of my questions but I needed to find out. “What’s you name dear? He asked. I looked up at him, trying not to show any fear. I was unsuccessful. He frowned and wiped my tears away with his thumb. “I’ll call you Abigale” he nodded holding my face is his hands. “Yes, Abigale.” “My names Dawn” I growled at him. “Abigale”. He smiled, rose from the bed and disappeared behind the door a single click followed. I wanted to scream. I wanted to rip out my hair. I wanted to run. I wanted out. A gasp escaped my lips when I raised my tear stained face towards a window only a few feet away from the door. It was coverred by boxes and old trunks, but I was positive. Well, as positive as you could be in my situation. I dropped the tray to the ground scattering vegetables overr the floor. My hands fumbled for the coverrs and threw them off of my body. I pulled myself away from the bed and ran. The floors creaked under my weight. I knew he would hear me, but I would be gone by the time he got up here. I was only a few inches from the boxes when my feet flew from under me. My head slammed to the ground with a sickening crack. Spots came into my view as well as his smile. I had a dream that I was home again. Listening to my music as the nightly news played. Father was mindlessly watching the TV and reading the paper. He always was one for fast topics to talk about with his work friends, mother sat in her chair crocheting a new scarf just in case I wanted a fifth and my little brother John sat in the middle of the living room playing with his dolls. I smiled when I remembered that they weren’t dolls, they were action figures. My dream was perfect until I started to get a throbbing pain in my forehead. No! I can’t leave I just got back home! Just got back. I wanted to stay there to be there every minute. I knew it wasn’t real, but it’s all I had. I felt as if I was being pulled through a thick fog of dreams to reality. I clawed the fog to take me back to my dream. Tears came from my eyes and I thrashed towards my dream. I can’t go! I can’t go! Whenever I would get a little closer the fog would thicken and I would slip. A tired sigh left me and I let go. Let go of fighting, let go of the dream. Surely it would come back, wouldn’t it? The sound of a distant sink dripping and the light breeze sounded so peaceful, but I knew it only meant I was trapped. I awoke to find the man smiling at me. He dabbed a wet cloth on my pounding head. “You really cracked yourself up girl. You should be more careful next time, you might slip and fall again.” He smiled and dabbed. “I see you didn’t eat your food.” he stopped and laid his hand on my arm. “I’m not hungry and I won’t eat the food you give me!” I spat at him. He frowned and tightened his grip. “Then you won’t eat at all! I’m not giving food to someone who doesn’t appreciate it”. Standing up, he shook his finger at me. “You will learn to obey me when I give you something, you will take it and you will be polite!” He screamed and stomped out of the room carrying the tray of food. A few peas still lay on the floor but it was for the mice now. There is no way I’m going to eat that. I waited for what seemed like hours to see the dream again, but it never came. I fell asleep after a while, but all the dreams were flurries of images of colors and shapes and what the house might look like on the outside. When would my family come find me? Would they find me? I was in the middle of thinking of what time it was when I heard a horrible sound. My stomach was yelling to be fed. I was hungry. I looked around for they tray of food, but it was gone. All I had found was a few stray peas on the floor. They looked old and wrinkled and almost as if they were never cooked. It wouldn’t fill me up, not nearly, but at least I would have something. I climbed slowly out of the bed, by now my whole body ached. I bent down and popped the peas into my mouth. They were ice cold and tasted stale and one I’m not even sure if it was a pea, but it probably wouldn’t kill me. They didn’t help one bit. If anything they made it worse. My stomach growled in disagreement and shot me pains of disapproval. How long had I been here I wondered. I sat back on the bed staring at the door. Was this a joke? It was probably one of the girls at school playing a trick on me. But why hit me with the car? Why? I was a nice person, I never did anything to harm anyone. Who would play such a cruel joke on me? I lay back resting my head on the hard pillow. I heard a clinking of metal. I looked towards the door. Nothing. I looked at the window. Nothing. The window? Why would he put a window if he held me captive here? I stood up and slowly made my way to the window. The clinking metal followed me. I stopped and looked back. What was that? My eyes caught and old metal rod sticking up from the floor just beside the foot of my bed. My eyes followed the chain that was built from the top. It led from the rod to my ankle. I looked towards the window. It was much too far out of my reach to get to it. I was chained. I sighed and walked overr to examine the rod. It had deep scratch marks coverring it. My throat seized, and my palms got sweaty. Engraved on the back were three initials: D.N, E.G and A.P. I started to cry. I wasn’t the only one, I will never get out. Tears filled my eyes until I could hold no more, they poured out like a river of pure sadness and loss. I’m done, he’s going to kill me or, I’m going to die here. In this horrible place with no one I know. Back home my mother would have said ‘Dawn, there is nothing for you to be crying about, everything will be just fine, just give it time.’ Oh how I wish she were here now, to hold my hand, to tell me I’m going to be fine and to get me out of here. I cried till I was dried up, shriveled to my insides. I lay on my bed and pulled the coverrs up overr my head and fell asleep. I dreamt that mama was brushing my hair. We were sitting in front of my vanity mirror. She slowly moverd the brush with her hand following closely behind it. She looked at me with her beautiful blue eyes, her round pink face will dimples in her cheeks. I looked exactly like her, many times before had my father said that we could have been sisters or twins even. The only difference between us is that I had green eyes and light red hair. I could remember us sitting there for hours just chatting mindlessly about school, work and the occasional boy. I wanted her to be with me so much. Her picture slowly faded from my mind, but the feeling of her brushing my hair stayed. It was rougher than usual, like if she were mad at something and brushed my hair to get the anger out. I heard a rough breathing and my eyes bolted open. It was him. Once again he was on my bed brushing my black hair. Black? I looked at my hair, it was black, and my beautiful red hair was black! “What did you do to my hair?!” I screamed at him. I knocked him off the bed. He was startled and lost his balance, falling to the ground with a light thump. Anger rushed into my face. “WHAT DID YOU DO?” I yelled. He looked up at me confused “What do you mean Abigale?” Why did he call me this? “My names Dawn” I said back to him. “Abigale hunny, no it isn’t. Where did you come up with that silly name? You know you were named after your grandmother”.

He left the room and I started to cry dry tears. My throat was scratchy and dry as well. I fell to my knees. I wanted to cry. I was still drowsy from the sleep and until this moment I hadn’t realized what I was wearing. I sat down on my bottom and looked over my body. I wore an awful pink baby style dress with lace and tons of pink bows. He had dressed me? When? What had he done to me? Had he slipped me with something? This time I found tears to spare.

After an hour I was done crying. I looked with blurred eyes around my room. It was changed. There were only a few boxes now and they didn’t cover the window. A thin pale light came through the dust. There were pictures and candles all over the room. I walked toward the dresser that was a few feet from my bed. All the pictures were of a small girl about my age. The pictures were clearly old, but they seemed to be polished daily. The girl had pale ivory skin and long straight black hair. I looked up at the mirror suspended above the dresser. I looked at my reflection. It wasn’t mine anymore though. It was hers. I did not see me at all. I saw only the little girl in the pictures. I brought my hand up to my face and felt at the foreign skin. I ran my fingers through my new hair. I looked at the pictures once again. I could feel the sadness of the girl sink into my skin, into my bones. I set the picture down and opened the dresser drawers. More pink and baby blue dresses. Not one pair of jeans or a plain tee shirt. My stomach growled and I looked towards my bed stand. There was a plate of food. It was the same food that I had thrown on the floor. I ate in silence thinking about the girl. I rested on my bed digesting the cold food when Thomas came back. He smiled at me with his smile. Strangely this time I felt something else. With him in the room I didn’t feel so alone. I still wanted to go home, but I wasn’t all alone now.
“How are you feeling my daughter?” He asked me his smile was plastered onto his face. “I’m not your daughter” I replied. There was not much anger in my voice, or any kind of firmness at all. He tilted his head and his smile twitched. “Honey I think we should talk.” He nodded and sat on my bed. “A few weeks ago you were in a terrible car accident while walking to the creak” I looked down at my hands. A flash back of a car hitting my side forced its way into my brain. The pain followed and I cringed. He looked at me with more concern. “The driver died, but you my dear Abigale survived”. He looked at me and set his hand on my palm. “But you suffered a bit of brain injury and were hospitalized for a few weeks”. He patted my hand and I smiled up at him. I brought my hand up to my head and felt around for a scar. Sure enough there was a small lump on the side of my forehead. He was telling the truth. I looked up at him “but why the chain?” He didn’t answer. I looked around and felt for it but it was gone. “I would never do that to you Hun”. He stood up and led me to my mirror. He stood behind my playing with my hair and staring at my reflection. “My perfect Abigale. My darling daughter, all mine, forever”. I glanced up at his eyes and smiled once again. He dropped my hair and walked towards the door. “Good bye daddy” I said. My voice shocked me. What had I said? Did I just call him daddy? My voice had betrayed me, but I couldn’t help the slight feeling that it was right. In my dreams, I saw a little girl with red hair and bright green eyes spinning in circles while the autumn leaves fell around her. She looked so happy and peaceful. I started to walk towards her when she stopped and looked at me. She stared towards me to and soon we were running to each other. Thunder boomed in the sky and I slowed to a walk. We both looked up at the sky then again at another. I noticed that she began to change. She grew a few inches taller and her red hair grew long and black as a raven. Her eyes stayed the same but they also changed into a dull and lifeless green. It seemed like she was dying. I ran towards her, but stopped in my tracks when she did the same. I looked at her and she looked back at me. I squinted and she did too. I raised my left hand and then my right over my head. As did she. The leaves and trees cracked and fell into dust revealing the sides of a mirror.
I gasped awake. She was me. Dawn was gone. Gone like the trees in my dream. I was a daughter. A new one that I never knew. There was darkness in the air. It was night time again. I walked towards my window. My feet moved softer now and I wove through boxed more fluidly. My new body was graceful. It was also an eerily beautiful. I looked out at the snow falling to the ground. It looked cold and windy outside. The bare trees creaked and swayed in the wind. I looked farther down and saw the creek. It was wide and long. I tried to look from end to end but it wound around the one side and into the forest that surrounded the house. That is where I almost died. I thought to myself. I saw faint tire tracks that led to a garage. A yawn came from my mouth. How much was I sleeping lately? I looked at my bed and then to the bottom of it. There was nothing there but flooring. I tried to remember if something once was there, but nothing came to mind.
Sleep was nothing to me. I fell into blackness and that is all I saw, felt and heard. Father came up to wake me at dawn. Cereal and a glass of milk was my meal. I ate it silently and looked around at the room trying to avoid his eyes. He stared at me, his eyes burned into my skull. “You look so much like your mother, Abigale”. I looked at him. “How come I can’t remember her?” I asked. “That’s because she died at birth, and you should love her for that, for giving you all she had” His eyes released their pain. I asked him about the girl in my dream and how I felt I knew her. He frowned and told me that it was a cousin of mine who had turned evil. I was never supposed to talk about her anymore he told me. I looked up at him with unanswered questions. After I was finished he motioned to take it away and go back through the door. “No!” I shouted. “Tell me more, tell me about mommy”. He smiled his nice smile. He came closer to my side. “She was a beautiful young lady like yourself, she loved art and the forest and most of all you”. “More?” I asked him. He shook his head and walked to the door. “Who am I?” I asked as he slipped out the door. He turned to me and dropped the bowl. I could hear it smash down the steps. “How dare you question who you are!” He screamed. “You are my Abigale. MY ABIGALE. AND YOU WILL ALWAYS AND HAVE ALWAYS BEEN MY ABIGALE!” His face flashed red and he ran to my side. He grabbed me by my arms and carried me to the mirror. I struggled from his grasp and yelled for my release. Grabbing me by my hair he held my face up to the mirror. “YOU ARE ABIGALE!” He screamed.
“No! I’m Dawn” I yelled back. I looked at him through the mirror. His anger boiled his face. He recoiled his arm and smashed my face up against the mirror. I felt the icy coolness meet my face with a harsh embrace. My skull wanted to give away at the force. My eyes bulged and started to water. I saw red and then a black cloud floating toward me. I awoke a few days later bandaged in old bloody cloth. My head didn’t hurt anymore or any part of my body actually. I wore a plain blue dress and my hair was pinned tightly in a ponytail. I will never speak of her again, I told myself. She was gone forever locked up in one of those boxes and thrown away. Whoever she was, she was gone.
I walked towards the door with my arm hanging limply. The dark black bruises were still clearly visible. It was her. I told myself. She did this and that is why she is now gone. I wanted to open the door but I could feel the evil that surrounded it. I reached my hand toward the door knob but decided it was best not to. I watched the door as if it was going to open any second, but it didn’t. I was so hungry I thought about going through it, but daddy might get mad. Instead, I called down to him begging for food. I heard no response. I sat glumly on my bed staring at the door. About a half an hour later daddy came up with some mixed vegetables, soup, bread and a large glass of milk. He gave it to me staring. “Sorry” I whispered to him keeping my eyes on my food. “For what? You did nothing wrong, I just don’t want you to be influenced by evil”. He smiled at me. It made me feel warm and loved. “I love you” Those words made me feel like they were coming out of someone else’s mouth. I smiled and ate quietly. “Come read with me“. He smiled once again. I looked up at him and nodded. He held my hand and led me to the door. Once at the door he grabbed an old key from his pocket and turned the door knob. I have to admit, I was scared to cross the path from my room to the unknown. He pulled me through the door and led me down creaky stairs. My room was much more colorful that the rest of the house. I felt as if it was new to me even though it wasn’t. The walls were bare and it was rare there were any pictures on the walls. Most of the pictures had old people and pets and a few flowers on them. There was an old piano in the front room with a grand book case on one side. On the other were two living chairs and an old couch. The kitchen was also plain with little space and a small table in the center.
He led me to a smaller chair and I sat down. It was hard and lumpy but much better than the bed I was sleeping in. I squirmed to get comfortable then looked up at daddy. He smiled. “Like the chair?” He walked over to the towering book shelf. “Yes it is quite comfy” I replied watching him pick a book. He examined the shelf for a little bit longer then brought me a bulky hard cover. Huckleberry Finn was written over the cover in fancy script. “It’s one of my personal favorites”. He smiled again and walked over to the bigger chair and picked up a book of his own. This is how I spent most of my time. Reading and listening to daddy tell stories about when he was younger or our family history. He never spoke about mama or the girl, not even once. Their memories were distant and faded like the books I now read. After a few weeks, I was permitted to eat with him at the table and stay in the living room and read. He locks me in my room at night still.
Life was getting better and I was now accustomed to waking up to him sitting at my bed or brushing my hair. The only time he got angry was when for one week he had to keep me up in my room and bandaged. He told me that it was natural that for one week all the evil was to be taken away from me. All I really knew was that it gave me terrible stomach aches and I bled every second of the day. After that he gave me tea that was to bring pureness back into me. Once I told him it made me sick and he kept me in my room to fast for three days. Other than a few interruptions we were a perfect happy family. No one came by the house to bother us and daddy taught me new words and meanings and math. He called it home schooling and one day, I would get a job of my own and they would need a smart person like me. Daddy works at home to keep an eye on me. He says that he works for an online business that is very important. I hate it when he goes to work as he calls it. Once I asked him why he had to lock me in my room when he goes, he just told me it was to keep the evil away from me.

I never once felt as if evil was out to get me, but he made it seem like everywhere I turned it was there, waiting for him to leave so it could get me. The only place I am safe is in my room. Months passed by slowly. It made me happy when daddy would teach me new things or tell me stories. Today was a special day. Today I was going to go outside. Daddy said we were going fishing and at the word outside I was already laughing and happiness burst out of me. But after the joy he cautioned me that by going outside, evil was sure to beckon me into their grasp.
It was summer now and two winters had passed. The air was warm and sticky and the sun was new in the sky. The birds chirped their happy song. I stayed in the house while daddy got the supplies from the garage. As I waited for him I could hear the trees whispering their silent song. It was beautiful outside. This was the first time since the accident I had gone outside and I was bursting with excitement. Daddy came back and took me to the creek. I took my time walking. The air smelled sweet and flowers gave the earth color. The animals hopped about gathering food and drinking water from the creek. Fluffy white clouds floated aimlessly in the sky and the grass was perky and green. Once we got to the rocks the creek was more beautiful than ever. I saw fish floating under the water and glossy rocks shining in the sun. Daddy fixed my fishing pole and told me to stick it into the water near a fish and wait. He told me to reel in slightly and call him if I felt a tug. I was excited to catch a fish, but I was also excited to be outside smelling the fresh air.

I caught one fish and daddy four, but I wanted more. He smiled at me and simply told me would could stay for another hour. But then off to the house to prepare the fish. He shared with me a few of the things he had to do, but it grossed me out till the point where I asked him to stop. He just laughed and went back to his task.

I was scanning the woods looking at the animals when I saw it. It was standing there looking at me. I wanted to tell daddy that I had found evil staring at me. I had started to walk towards him, but stopped when I heard him whispering. Do not go near him Dawn. Its whispers were like the summer breeze. I looked behind me but the whisper came from all directions. I stayed put and looked back at the tree line. Nothing was there. “My name is Abigale” I whispered back. No! It is not, you are Dawn and you are not his child! The whisper became a quiet shriek. He is dangerous you must stay away! Tears came to my eyes and I wiped them away quickly. No, he wouldn’t lie to me. He wouldn’t, he loves me and I love him! He is my father. I saw the evil again, but his time it was different, it was standing only a few feet away from me. It was a girl. It was me. I thought I was seeing a reflection, but I was wrong when the girl walked up to me. Her lips were blue and patches of black hair were falling out. I am Abigale. I am his real daughter. She told me. I shook my head and looked over at daddy. He smiled at me. He can’t see you can he? I asked the girl. No, I came to you to warn you. He is evil and you must run. I looked at her, she was transparent. I am not good in this world, but I had to tell you that you must run Dawn, you must run. I wanted to cry. I regained my composure and asked daddy if we could go back and he agreed quickly.

Once at the house he asked me if I was feeling well. “No, I don’t feel well” I told him. He looked at me with concern. “I knew taking you out was too much. Go up to your room and I will be there soon”. He quickly went into the kitchen and put the fish in the fridge. I walked into my room, but something was difference. Someone else was here. I looked at the pictures and into the mirror was the girl right. Is this really me? I asked myself. No. It is not you. You were made to be me. A replica of me like many other girls he has brought. I turned around and saw the girl standing by my bed. Her bed? He will be here soon and you must kill him. Use the lamp. She told me. No, I will not kill my father. The girl frowned and came closer. Look into the mirror I will show you. I didn’t want to look, but my body turned anyway. I closed my eyes away from the horror that was about to unfold. At first I saw nothing. Then I saw snow falling onto a young girl only a few years younger than me. Her cheeks were red from the cold and her red hair was almost frozen. The girl was walking hastily as if she was late. Then the picture changed to the girl lying on the ground covered in blood. My hand moved to my forehead. The scar. Then the final image was daddy putting the girl in the trunk of a car. Putting me in the car. Dawn.

Tears gushed from my eyes. He is not my father. He kidnapped me! Sadness soon turned into rage. I wanted to kill him. I wanted to kill the man I once called daddy. He was nothing now. Scum on the floor of the worst person in the worlds shack. Lay on the bed and act sick. She instructed me. Tell him nothing of me, tell him the fish made you feel sick to your stomach. I did as told, positioning he lamp perfectly so I could grab it easily.
Sure enough, he came into my room an hour later reeking of fish and holding a steaming mug. “How are you feeling now?” He asked handing me the mug. “The fish made me sick”. I blurted out. I can’t do this I thought in my head. I can’t kill him. I grabbed the mug with both hands. He looked at me and senses that something was wrong. “What happened out there?” He asked anger in his voice. “Nothing, I swear daddy” The words came out like spit. I will never again call him daddy. Never. He pushed the mug to my lips, but I threw it across the room. It shattered and the black liquid spilled over the floor. It is poison! Hurry kill him! She yelled at me. “You tried to kill me!” I screamed pointing at the mug. “No I didn’t it’s just a tea”. He yelled back. “Abigale told me!” I shouted out. The words escaped my lips too fast for me to take back. I snapped my hands over my mouth hoping he didn’t hear. He did.
“WHAT”! He screamed. He grabbed me by the shoulders and shook me. I could feel my bones cracking, my neck flopped back and forth like a fish. He is going to kill me. DADDY! Called Abigale. He stopped and turned wildly to face her. She was still transparent but she seemed more threatening now. You have done evil to this family. Now you must pay for all the lives you have destroyed by replacing me! She screeched at him. “Abigale” he stuttered. That was all he could manage before she came to him. She held his head in her hands and he stared at her. Tears came from his eyes as he mumbled a horrible apology. I had never seen him cry. He collapsed to his knees with a weak cry. Turning to me he said “I love you”. I stood up. “And I hate you”. I whispered. He fell to the floor dead. Abigale looked up at me. I am so sorry you had to go through this, but it is the end for him. He was not a good person even when I was alive. I thank you for setting me free.
I stood there for a second I was Dawn Mortie. Dawn. I stood there staring at my prison for almost two minutes then I walked out the door. I felt no evil in it, only freedom. The stairs creaked one last time as I walked down them. The door slammed as I closed it and the birds chirped their last good byes to me. My name was not going to be engraved on the rod. I was free. I am Dawn.

This book has 1 comment.

amyy1321 said...
on Mar. 2 2011 at 8:10 pm
oh wow very good haha i loved it!!!!!! ha very real too keep writing!!!!