Tryouts | Teen Ink

Tryouts

By CarterDavis, Exeter, New Hampshire
CarterDavis, Exeter, New Hampshire

Author's note:

This is based off of my story when I tried out for the golf team and made the JV team.

Tryouts
“Don’t be so nervous, Michael.  I’m sure you are going to do just fine.  You are the best golfer I know and nothing is going to change that whether or not you make the team,” encouraged Michael’s mom, Laura, as she was flipping Michael’s favorite chocolate chip pancakes.
“I know but what if I choke when I tee off?  Will I be automatically off the team or what?  I just really want to make the team,” commented Michael gingerly sitting down at the island for breakfast.
“I’m sure one bad shot won’t ruin your chances, honey.  Remember, I will always be proud of what you do today!” replied Laura.
Michael was an avid golfer.  He wanted to play golf whenever he had enough time to do so.  His first “test” came later today: high school tryouts.
Michael has wanted to be on the golf team since he 10, when started playing golf at least three times a week during the summer.  He had loved golf ever since he put his hands on a driver for the first time.  Every summer Michael and his dad would go down to the Westport Country Club, where they would get Michael his junior membership for the golf season.  This year would be Michael’s fifth consecutive year with his junior membership.  When he first started keeping score during his first year as a member, Michael was shooting upper 50s to lower 60s.  His scores kept lowering every year.  Michael’s goal this year was to be consistently shooting in the lower 40 before tryouts, and he had successfully achieved his goal.  All he needed to get over was his fears of trying out.
Michael wasn’t the only incoming freshman trying out for the golf team.  He knew at least five more incoming freshmen were trying out, all of which were Michael’s friends.  Michael also knew that his friends were close behind to him in their golfing abilities.  All of them had very good chances of making the team.
The Westport High School had two golf teams, Varsity and JV, each of them carrying about 15 players on each.  There was no freshman team.  Michael’s hopes of making Varsity as a freshman were slim.  There were 12 seniors and 3 juniors, all of which were probably going to make Varsity, so there was going to be a fight for a spot on the JV team.
“C’mon Mom, we need to leave so I can practice putting!” shouted Michael as he was walking out the door to put his clubs in the car.
“I’m coming, Michael.  Give me a sec.  You don’t have to be there until 12:30,” begged Laura.
“I know but I want to look good for the coach.  I’m not just going to show up on time,” replied Michael.  Michael watched as his mom actually began cleaning the kitchen. “Can you do that after you drop me off at the country club?”
Laura snickered, “I guess I can.  Come on, let’s get in the car.”  As Laura’s jet black Acura was pulling out of the neighborhood, Michael’s mom started her spiel like she did before every tryout.  “Michael, listen to me for a second,” started Laura.  “Don’t get nervous, try your hardest, give it your all, and be 110 percent today.  And if you don’t make the team, we’ll just try harder next year and practice.  That’s all.  Don’t get nervous, okay honey?”
“Ok, Mom,” muttered Michael as he was checking his Instagram feed.  They arrived at the golf course at 12:15, leaving Michael 15 minutes to practice putting before he had to meet with the coach to find out when he was going to tee off that afternoon.  Michael left his clubs down by the first tee, took his Odyssey putter and two Titleist Pro V1's and trudged up the steep hill to where the putting green was.  Many other golfers who were trying out for the JV team were up there practicing their putting, looking good for the coach.  Michael noticed his friends in the back left corner of the green, all practicing around one lonely hole.
“Hi guys, ready for tryouts?” asked Michael as he walked up to the hole to start putting.
“Sure am, Michael, are you?” replied Ryan, one of Michael’s golfing buddies.
“I was born ready, Ryan.  I’m very confident that I am going to make the team,” answered Michael as he was lining up to putt.
A few minutes later, a booming voice sounded over the putting green.
“All Westport High School golfers please come over here for check-in,” yelled a very tall man with a Westport High School golf shirt.  Michael assumed this was the coach so he went over to introduce himself and check-in.
While shaking hands with the coach, Michael declared, “Hello, Coach!  My name is Michael Smith, I’m an incoming freshman and I am excited to tryout.  Thank for this opportunity.”
The coach then confirmed, “Nice to meet you Michael, I’m Coach Brown.  Please go and finish putting while I put together today’s groups.”
“Yes, Coach!” responded Michael.  He thought that he had impressed the coach, but then again, Michael noticed that all of the kids in front of him did that.
Michael went back over to the hole and began putting again.  He lined up his ball between two tees stuck in the green the width of his putter.  Michael began his backstroke and followed through.  The white globe rolled right into the hole.  Michael just sank that putt.  He lined up his second ball just as he did with his first.  Michael started his motion and tapped the ball.  It smoothly glided over the velvety grass and dropped.  Michael sank another one.
“Alright, can I have everyone’s attention, please?” questioned Coach Brown.  “Here are the groups for today’s tryout.”  Coach Brown listed off all of the sophomores in groups of four, then came the freshmen.  “The next group on the tee will have the following golfers: Ryan Stevens, Michael Smith, John Jones, and Robert Johnson.  Please head down to the tee box and get ready.”
“Thanks, Coach,” added Michael as he walked by.  “This is the best group, Ryan.  Our whole group is made up of friends.  I know I can make the team with this group.”
“I know,” replied Ryan.  “I now think I am actually going to make it.  I don’t get nervous when I play around you guys.  But you have to tee off first!”
“Ok, no problem.”  Michael went over with one of his Pro V1s and his brand new Nike Vapor driver that he bought specifically for tryouts.  He pushed the tee in the ground and placed the golf ball on top of the tee.  Michael took a few practice swings and then lined up for his shot.  His heart was pounding.
The club started to move back, flying over Michael’s head.  All was silent until the club came back down and smashed the little white sphere.  The sphere flew like an airplane, gliding and cutting through the air.  It was straight as an arrow, right in the center of the fairway 250 yards from where it all started.  Everyone was amazed at what they had all just witnessed.
Ryan’s ball went 200 yards, but sliced out of bounds.  When he hit again, his ball went the same distance, but in the fairway.  Ryan was lying three.  John and Robert both had good drives, but they both went left into the rough.
When Michael reached his ball, he realized that he was only 150 yards away from the center of the green.  For Michael, that is just a 7-iron.  He waited for the others to hit their second shots and then Michael took a few practice shots.  Michael lined up to the ball.  He aligned his feet, gripped his club, and took his backswing.  Michael started his downswing and then cracked the ball.  He heard the sound that every golfer wants to hear when they are taking an iron shot.  The ball went straight and high in the air, landing 20 feet from the hole.
“Wow, Michael.  Why can’t I do that?” asked Ryan.  “I can never hit the ball like you do.”
“I don’t know.  All you can do is practice!” Michael confirmed.
The other three all landed around the green.  They all had to chip on, which costed each of them an extra stroke.
“Nice shot, guys.  All of you, nice shot!” congratulated Michael as he strolled to take out the flagstick.
Ryan was first up to putt, as he was the farthest away from the cup.  His first putt glided over the velvety grass, but stopped about six feet away from the pin, leaving a little bit of work for bogey.  Michael was up next.  He had a difficult 20 foot putt with many breaks in between him and the pin.  Michael took a few practice swings and aligned himself with the ball for the fourth time that round.  He started his putt and the face of his putter met the ball.  The ball was hit hard and stopped three feet from the hole.  This ensured a par for Michael, a perfect way to start off the tryout.  Michael was leading his group at the end of the hole.  Michael had a 4, Ryan had a 5, and John and Robert both ended up with a 6.
The second hole was a 160 yard par 3 that was slightly downhill.  This was one of Michael’s favorite holes at the Westport Country Club because he could easily reach the green with a 7-iron.  And that is just what Michael did.  His 7-iron shot landed 15 feet from the hole.  He could easily make a birdie on this hole if the putt is perfect.  Ryan hit his shot using the same club Michael used, but Ryan’s shot was five feet from the hole.
“Wow!  We both just hit amazing shots!” exclaimed Michael as he was putting his club back in his bag.
“I know.  Who knew that we would hit practically the same shot at the same time?” commented Ryan.  “Now let’s see if John and Robert can do it.”
“I don’t know.  That’s kinda hard to do,” cackled Michael while he was putting his bag on his back.
Sadly, John and Robert didn’t do just that.  They both had to chip on.  John hit just short of the green and Robert hit towards the back left of it.  Michael two-putted and made par while Ryan sunk his putt and tied Michael at 7 a piece.  John and Robert both bogeyed the hole leaving both of them with a 10 at the end of two.
“I think I found my competition,” chirped Michael as he was walking up to the third tee box with Ryan.
“Ya, I think you have.  I have been playing really good these past two holes!” concluded Ryan.
“Coach said if we shoot under a 48 we will make the team,” added Michael.
Ryan was first up on hole number three because he got the birdie on hole two.  His drive glided through the air like a bird and landed right before the large hill on the only par five on this course.  Then Michael was up.  Michael was scared to hit his drive on this hole.  The past few times he had sliced it into the marsh that lined the right hand side of the hole.  Michael took his usual two practice swings and lined himself up.  His feet were aligned, his ball was aligned with his front foot.  All he needed to do was to start his swing.  Michael started going back and when the club came down, the golf ball hit the center of the clubface and the ball was off.  It flew through the air like an Emirates A380 flying from JFK to Dubai.  Michael’s ball surpassed Ryan’s by at least 20 yards.  It was halfway up the enormous hill that golfers had to face when playing this hole.
“That’s was a Pro V1 does for ya!” remarked Michael as he walked away from the tee box.
“You just always have to win, don’t ya,” chimed in Ryan.  “You always do.”
“Well, that’s what I do best!” bursted out Michael.
John and Robert both hit their drives.  Both of their drives were in the fairway and as far as Ryan’s.
Ryan was up.  He had a difficult shot from the valley in front of the giant hill.  But using his 4-hybrid, he managed to get the ball to the 150 yard marker.  Michael, now more confident than ever, was ready for his second shot on this hole.  He pulled out his 3-wood from his bag and stepped aside.  Thinking of how he was going to approach the shot, Michael practiced his uphill swing.  Michael aligned his feet and put his shoulder parallel with the slope of the hill.  He entered his backswing and hit the ball.  But he duffed it.
“Ugh!” shouted Michael as he backed away swallowing what just happened to him.  It was his turn again.  This time Michael recovered from his bad shot with a nice one that ended up next to the 100 yard marker.
“Eh, it’s only one shot.  I am only down one, but I do have a 50 yard advantage,” whispered Michael as he replaced his 3-wood and pulled out a pitching wedge.
Ryan walked up to his ball and pulled out his 7-iron.  His third shot landed in the bunker to the left of the green.  Ryan was terrible in the bunker, and Michael knew it.
“Maybe I can get my stroke back here!” commented Michael as he stepped up to his ball with a pitching wedge.  Michael entered his swing once again and hit a beautiful shot which landed a yard from the green, but it bounced up and halted on the green, leaving Michael a nice chance for par.  Ryan, on the other hand, took two shots to get out of the bunker and one putt to get in the hole, ending up with a bogey.  Michael was now up.  He had to sink the seven foot putt for a par and a one shot advantage.  And that is exactly what Michael did: sinking that seven foot putt just like it was a tap in.
Michael with a 15, Ryan with a 16.  The competition was heating up.  Hole 4 was the first dog-leg right on the course.  Michael brought out his 3-wood again for the drive and smacked the ball into the middle of the fairway where the dog-leg was.  It was an easy 4-hybrid to the green from there.  Ryan’s shot was right next to Michael’s.  All he needed was a 4-hybrid, too.  Both of their second shots hit the green, but Michael’s was at least 10 feet farther than Ryan’s.  Michael duffed his first putt, almost ensuring a three-putt on this hole.  Ryan two-putted and ended up with a par and Michael a bogey.
Michael and Ryan were now tied at 20 a piece.
The fifth hole was a sharp dog-leg right.  Golfers typically had to lay up with a hybrid or a long iron and then hit up to the green that was on top of a hill.  Michael’s drive landed in the middle of the fairway right at the dog-leg, making the green visible from where his ball was.  Ryan overshot the fairway and ended up in the rough, but still leaving him with a nice approach to the green.  Michael’s second shot came to a halt on the back fringe of the green.  He would need to hit the ball a little harder with his putter so he could get it off the back fringe yet still maintain a good velocity going downhill.  A tricky yet doable shot.  Ryan’s hit the hill in front of the green, meaning that he would have to chip on with a sand wedge and then putt.  Both golfers managed to finish with a bogey.
Michael and Ryan were still tied, but this time at a 25.  Their games would just go a bit downhill from there.  The sixth hole was a downhill par 4 with a driveable green.  Michael almost always hit the green on his drive, except for this time.  He duffed it and it slowly rolled down the hill.  It luckily stopped on the cart path at the bottom of the hill, allowing Michael to take a free drop.  Ryan hooked his drive, almost hitting the group on the seventh hole.
“FORE!” screamed Michael and Ryan, warning the golfers on the seventh.
“I’m pretty sure we can still manage at least a bogey on the hole.  We can recover,” mentioned Michael.
“True,” sulked Ryan as he was putting away his clubs.
Michael was a good 160 yards away from the green.  That meant he would use his 6-iron to reach the green.  Michael placed his bag down, making sure the bag’s legs were even on the ground.  He stepped back, looking down the fairway at the green.  Michael addressed the ball, taking a practice swing before he set up.  Michael started his back swing and followed through.  The ball careened through the air and smashed into the bunker in front of the green.
Ryan was now up.  His ball had landed on the seventh fairway.  He had to hit his ball over the trees that lined the middle of the two holes.  Ryan’s ball went into the same bunker that Michael’s did.
“In the same place again,” mentioned Michael.
“You got that right,” agreed Ryan as he was putting his bag on his back.
Ryan ended up taking two shots to get out of the bunker, while Michael got out no problem.  They both 3-putted on the green, something frowned upon by the coach.  Now Michael had a 31 and Ryan a 32.
Michael and Ryan both used their drivers to start out the seventh hole.  Michael hit his and watched as it sliced into the neighboring river.  The same thing happened to Ryan.  It glided through the air, bouncing down and hitting the sloped grass before rolling down into the lateral hazard.  They were both very upset, smashing their clubs on the ground.
The boys continued on to their balls.  They had to drop and take a stroke as a penalty for hitting into the river.  Recovering from that nasty shot, Michael and Ryan hit onto the green, giving a little hope for the boys.
“Yes!” reacted Michael as he finished his follow through.  Michael and Ryan were now briskly walking towards their balls to find out which landed closer to the tiny hole that was their goal.  Ryan was on the fringe to the left of the hole while Michael had a chance to 2-putt and make out with a bogey.  He was ready.  Ryan entered his back stroke and gently touched the ball, making sure he wouldn’t overshoot the cup.  The ball rolled smoothly over the green, coming to a stop five feet from the hole.  Michael was now up.  He had to make this in two or end up with a double bogey.  His ball was hit perfectly, but it didn’t have enough speed.  It came to a stop right next to Ryan’s.  Since Michael was farther away by just a hair, he went first.
“Show me the line, Michael,” commanded Ryan as he stepped back to watch what Michael was about to do.  Michael tapped the ball and it disappeared.  It was in.  Michael had a bogey.  Then Ryan had to do the same.  He tapped his ball with the face of his putter, but he decelerated his stroke, making the ball turn left and line up next to the cup.  Ryan tapped it in for double bogey.  Michael 36, Ryan 38.
The eighth hole was the final par 3 at the Westport Country Club.  It was 180 yards uphill with bunkers on both sides and the first fairway in the back.  Michael hit his ball high in the sky, hoping it would land on the green.  He saw it bounce, a sure sign of it landing on the green.  Ryan used the same club, but this time he hit the ball in another bunker, the one on the right side of the green.  His next shot would be tricky, as this could end up being the shot that makes the decision.  Ryan was shaky when he got up there with his sand wedge and putter.  He entered the bunker, making sure a rake was close by for after the shot.  Digging his feet into the ground, Ryan hit his ball right out of the sand on the first try.  And his ball was in 2-putt range.
When Michael got a good look at his ball for the first time, he realized all he needed was his putter.  Two putts later he had a par.  Another two putts later Ryan had a bogey.  And after eight intense holes, Michael 39, Ryan 42.
It all came down to one hole.
The ninth hole was the second dog-leg right on this course.  But this one was uphill.  Michael’s drive landed in the middle of the fairway about 125 yards away from the green after intentionally slicing it.  Ryan did the same, but he came up short and ended up at the 150 marker.  He only had five more shots to risk.  Ryan’s second shot landed himself in the rough right before the green.  He only had four more shots to make the team after that.
Michael, on the other hand, was dripping sweat left and right.  He wiped it up with his towel, dangling ever so slightly in the warm breeze.  Michael lined up for his shot, and duffed it once again.  This next shot was tough, as it was in a divot.  Michael went to go hit his ball and took his backstroke.  His heart was pounding.  It landed right on the front left section of the green, leaving him plenty of room to make it in two and make the team.  Ryan’s approach onto the green left him with what should be a 3-putt.  But when Ryan got up to his ball, he did the unthinkable, getting the ball a foot from the cup.  Ryan tapped it in and started to bawl.  Michael’s nerves were getting to him.  His first putt left him with four feet to the hole, but Michael missed the second.  A 3-putt in front of the coach on the last hole.  Not good.
“Count up your scores, please,” boomed the coach’s voice.
“I got a 47!” chuckled Ryan as he walked up to the coach to shake his hand.
“And I got a 45!” laughed Michael after an intense tryout.
“Nicely done gentlemen.  See you tomorrow for practice.  Be here promptly at 3 o’clock,” continued Coach Brown.  “Congratulations!”
“Thanks, Coach.  See you for practice tomorrow!” promised Ryan and Michael in unison.
They were now official members of the JV golf team.  They had made it.  Michael’s mom was waiting for him in the parking lot.
“How’d you do?” asked Laura.
“I did it, Mom!” replied Michael as he was placing his clubs in the trunk of his mom’s Acura.