Fire Mage | Teen Ink

Fire Mage

By firelife, Kissimmee, Florida
firelife, Kissimmee, Florida

Some things arrive on their own mysterious hour, on their own terms and not yours, to be seized or relinquished forever.
-Gail

Summary:

“Jamie, I need you to listen very carefully to what I’m about to say” she asked as I looked up at her, my thoughts flicking between why she pulled me out of school and what I might have done to upset her. It wasn’t even for the day, I overheard the principle talking to one of my teachers saying that I was a good student and it was a shame I was being homeschooled.

“You are no ordinary boy Jamie; we are all very special, including your father and I”

“You see in two years around your fourteenth birthday you’re going to have to endure a thing called Status” she said while my eyebrows dipping inwards my eyes staring at her with a confused look plastered all over my face.

“You see, were not normal people, we’re mages. Your father and I went through it and when your fourteen you will go through status and you too will become a mage” mom said quickly and boldly while I just sat there. “Cool, will I be able to shoot fireballs and have laser vision. Oh, oh, will I be able to fly” I spouted quickly thinking through everything I wished I could do.

“That depends on how powerful you are, you see Status is a very painful experience but the longer you endure it the stronger you will be” mom said as I nodded, slightly worried but still excited.

“You see, everybody has a similar brain, we all have that original 10% that we control which accounts for body controls and functions but while normal humans just have 10% of their brain being used and the other 90% as wasted spaces” she said before taking a breath her pauses long as she was trying to figure out how to word it correctly.

firelife

Fire Mage