The Obstacle Course. | Teen Ink

The Obstacle Course.

January 30, 2014
By dpowell3543 PLATINUM, Topeka, Kansas
dpowell3543 PLATINUM, Topeka, Kansas
24 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
If you're not willing to die for the ones you love, your life isn't worth living at all.


Three minutes to go. I was about to do my part for the platoon. I took in my suroundings. It was a hot summer day, the sun was shining, the grass was green, and there were trees everywhere. I saw my fellow cadets standing over at the side waiting for the eventto begin. I looked toward my partners.

"Get ready." One of them told me. I bent down and grabbed the tire.

"Go!" the instructor yelled. We started flipping the tires. I could hear my fellow cadets cheering us on. We quickly made it to the end of the feild then started to head back. We got back faster than before, and when we did we headed into the woods to the second obstacle.

We got to the second obstacle. This was going to be as easy as the first one was. It was vaulting. After the first three cadets went it was my turn. I got through semi-quickly, and we then waited for the last one. Then we turned the corner and prepared for the net climb. We started to climb up the net. When we got to the top of the net, we had to slide over the wooden plank in low profile, and then we had to climb down. When we were all done with that we headed to the next obstical.

After running around on the path we came to the first wall. The tallest of us jumped up to the top to help us up. Another one of us were used for buddy boosting us. I went first. After I low profiled over the wall, I dropped down. I helped catch the others. Once we've finished that, we ran around the dirt path until we got to the next obsatcle. The next obstacle was a bunch of ropes tied together to form a trip-wire trap which was somewhat elevated. We could either go over of under. I decided to crawl under the trap while the others went jumping through it. Next came a stump hop. We tried to jump from small stumps in the ground to other small stumps in the ground. This obstacle took us a while, because some of us kept falling off the stumps. We finally finished that obstacle adn started running down the path again.

The next two obstacles were tires and and the climbing rope. Running through the tires was easy but I never could climb the rope. So I went to do push ups instead. Once I'd finished those, I sat for a minute. I felt some cool sweat drip down my face and warm blood dripping from my scraped knees. After those of us who were doing push ups finished, we continued towards the final obsatcle.

At long last we came upon the last obstacle. The shorter of the two walls. I climbed up and over with ease adn yet again helped catch people. When we got through that, we ran up the hill and past the finish line. Our fellow cadets greeted and congraduated us, while they were doing so, I sat down and took a nice big drink from my water pack. It felt nice in my mouth. The cool, fresh, plastic tasting water, running through and hydrating my worn out, tired body. I was sore for the next week or two, but it was more than just pain. To me, it's a feeling of a job well done. To me... it's a memory.


The author's comments:
This is one of the many experiences I had when I went to Wentworth Military Academy with ROTC.
*I left out some details to shorten this memory.