Best Friends? | Teen Ink

Best Friends?

September 10, 2009
By Ritamc SILVER, Bayside, New York
Ritamc SILVER, Bayside, New York
8 articles 10 photos 9 comments

Today my best friend came over, and surprised me. Looking at her made me think about how lucky i was. To have her as a friend, to have her support. She's always been there for me, from the beginning.

I remembered an old quote/saying that i made up. It was an in general remark for another friend, a lesson. I realized that it related to my life, and the closeness of the people around me.

Friends come and go. Good friends come once in a while. Great friends are rare, But BEST FRIENDS, they are a once in a lifetime opportunity!

It's not exact, but it has the same point. It's simple, yet hard to understand it's full meaning.

This is it's meaning to me:
Some say that you can have as many Best friends in life as you want. I think that the max is 2. Why? Because if you have more then one best friend, does that really mean they are the best? The best, is the person that you can count on, no matter what. The person who was there from the start, who's seen it all, start to finish. The ONE person you can count on, or tell anything too. The person you trust the most, and share your life with.

Sure more then one person can have most those qualities, but if they do, which really is the best? The person that fulfills all those qualities and more. They are the once in a life time chance.

If you have more, will that chance be savored? Remembered?
I had a friend, that i used to call the best. She fulfilled all the qualities at the time, or so i thought. Sure i could tell her anything, most of the time. We would talk non-stop until late at night, about everything, and everyone. Then i realized she missed one important quality. She wasn't always fully there for me.

She would dry my tears, sure. She would listen, or seem to listen. Yet, if you asked her a question about it later, she would give you the cold shoulder. I would go all out and listen to her everyword, savoring it, so i could comfert her. In return, if i confronted her, about her, she would ignore me.

She was the one that said she could have as many best friends as she wanted. But, are any really the best?

That's what that quote means to me. It's the jorney to finding that one/two special someone(s) who you can call the "BEST".
Which is why i charish all the moments i spend with my best friend. That surprise vist, all the vactions we've had together. Those are the memories you want to have, with your one speical person. Because, those moments are the moments that you can be yourself. They are the memories that last forever.

What's your take on this lesson? What do you think the quote means? Comment with your take.

The author's comments:
My inspiration was the hardships with friendships that was surrounding me everyday. I decided to let it out in the open, and this is a piece from my blog. Which is here to help people.