It Seems Like Only Yesterday | Teen Ink

It Seems Like Only Yesterday

By koenige BRONZE, Amery, Wisconsin
koenige BRONZE, Amery, Wisconsin

It seems like only yesterday… I was hugging my dad goodbye. I wouldn’t see him for six long months and it made me cry. Deployment isn’t easy with two small kids at home.

It seems like only yesterday… I held her in my arms. I was a proud cousin of a tiny baby girl. She has grown up so quickly, now she’s eleven years old. She has grown up so fast. I think she should stay small.

It seems like only yesterday… I was decorating my Valentines’ box. As my mom added some finishing touches, our cat found comfort inside. I giggled as she poked her head out of the decorated box.

It seems like only yesterday… my dad woke me with green eggs and pancakes. St. Patrick’s Day is one of his favorite holidays. So why not make breakfast green?

It seems like only yesterday… I walked into the basement on Easter morning. The floor was covered in plastic egg shells, their inner treasures eaten by my dog Maggie. Thankfully, she hadn’t found where my basket was hidden.

It seems like only yesterday… I had fallen asleep next to the crackling fire place. My sister and I had squished our cots together, so our dogs could sleep with us. Now both those dogs are gone but always with us in our hearts.

It seems like only yesterday I slid down my stairs wrapped in a sleeping bag. The risk of carpet burn was worth the joy it gave me. Now I’m too big, and the ride’s not as long.

It seems like only yesterday… we packed up everything in our house. The boxes piled high as mountains. Now that house is sold, and we have moved on.

This piece was based off some of my favorite memories