9/11 Through a Firefighters Eyes | Teen Ink

9/11 Through a Firefighters Eyes

May 14, 2015
By Underdog73 GOLD, Denver, Colorado
Underdog73 GOLD, Denver, Colorado
16 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
I don't trust actions, I trust words



9/11 interview

Stationed at fire station 19, Lieutenant Daniel Diaz laid witness to one of the worst disasters to befall the United States. It was a normal day for Lt. Diaz when in the early morning everyone was in the kitchen and T.V room when the breaking news symbol flashed onto the screen, the first plane had hit. The entire crew was stunned, thinking it was merely a pilot error. After the first plane hit, Engine 19 left for a call. Once back from the call, everyone was huddled around the T.V. again, when the second plane struck. There was talk amongst the crew members a few things being said such as "We're going to war man".
Then, the Pentagon was stuck. "We're being attacked, there aren't that many accidental crashes" says Lt. Diaz on the matter. Everything seemed to blur together as the first tower collapsed. Lt. Diaz sat and thought about all the firemen running into the building, since it was his job during the time, that they were 'Toast'. Sitting there, watching all the people scramble as the tower came tumbling down, a thought crossed Lt. Diaz's mind. Imagine what Japan went through? The horrible experience of the Atomic Bomb for them, compared to a few measly airplanes, but at the time seemed much much worse. The pain of the American people was shown throughout the days following, and still today I wonder, is Japan the same way? Does Japan still grieve those lost that day? The terror on our faces that day, were nothing compared to the horror on the faces of the japanese. What we did to Japan did seem worse, but for the series of the events on this fateful day, someone would have to pay the price, and what a price it would be. Lt. Diaz believed the firemen knew they weren't going to make it out, but it's their job, what they live for. Firemen are made for things such as this, to look disaster in the eye and say kiss my ass.
The firehouse was ranting about how crazy it was, some of the men being ex-military. There was a seriousness about the firehouse. War was starting and how would it affect them? Some of the men were national guard reserves and had families. Would they be called back into action? Asked to leave a family to go fight a war that started in the sky?
Once the final plane hit the fields, an idea starts to buzz. Nuclear Warfare. Maybe, it would be time to figure out if a (Nuclear Bomb) really does turn sand into glass. Emotions were scattered that day. Between working the pumper at the firehouse, and the events of that day all wrapped together in one. Thoughts were buzzing, but one thought seemed to rise above all the others. "This means war".
The events of this catastrophic day strike pain into the hearts of many Americans still today. War is upon us still. A war that may never be won to those who have endless reasons to fight. War will always befall us and those who persecute us. That fact is Terror Knows No Boundaries, and for such a lawless way to fight, this endless war may never be won.


The author's comments:

Terror knows no Boundaries; evil acts terrorize someone