Recipe for a Nightmare | Teen Ink

Recipe for a Nightmare

May 23, 2018
By deviantdragon PLATINUM, Hartland, Wisconsin
deviantdragon PLATINUM, Hartland, Wisconsin
25 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Ingredients
- One (1) horror movie, preferably on an older VHS
- One  (1) VHS player
- A mound of blankets and pillows, stacked however you’d like.
- One (1) room, preferably with a window
- A whisper of anxiety
- Three (3) non-working lights
- A thunderstorm, rolling and rumbling in the atmosphere for exactly far too long.
- Two (2) friends with one (1) dumb idea
- A dash of screams
- A stranger who shouldn’t be in the house

Procedure
1) Take the horror movie, and slip it into the VHS player at your friends’ requests (in spite of your own reservations). In the event that you do not have a VHS or VHS player player on hand, a CD or digital player will suffice.

2) Curl up in the blankets and pillows with your friends, and then make one friend get up to turn on the movie because you all forgot the controller. Complaints may ensue, but laughing will amend this.

3) Laugh at the plot and the characters’ decision making.
Finally begin to watch the movie for about half an hour, or until you could have sworn that you heard scratching on your door or window. Continue to watch the movie, assuming that it was likely just your imagination and the storm outside (it isn’t).

4) Sprinkle in the whispers of anxiety while watching the movie for about ten more minutes, and knead them into your thoughts until you can’t stand them any longer.

5) Get up to pause the movie (at this point, you’ll meet little resistance and touch of nodding), and ask your friends if they heard a noise too.

6) Stop moving just before you get to the pause button as the TV begins to play static and music that sounds just short of being actual words blasts through the poor-quality speakers.

7) Back away, then throw in a dash of screams as the door bursts open.

8) Pray that this is just a bad dream.

9) Run when it’s n??????o?????t???.


The author's comments:

Nightmares might be a bit too easy to make.

Based on the various plots (and tropes) of horror movies.