The Cult | Teen Ink

The Cult

March 7, 2018
By Anonymous

The air was still and damp, the radio just loud enough to be heard over the noise of the road. The winter sun had set thirty minutes earlier leaving only the street lamps and dim headlights to illuminate their path.

“Do you know the way?” asked Diana, making sure they weren’t lost.


“Of course, I’ve dropped you off a million times before. Besides, how many times have I gotten lost?”

answered Hector, glancing over to see her answer. She started counting on her thin fingers, pretending to count in her head after she reached ten. They both laughed.


“Did you like the movie?” asked Diana five minutes later, trying to break the silence that fell over the car.


“Yeah, it was great,” responded Hector. “It might win best picture this year.”


“You think so? I thought the ending was a bit anticlimactic.”


“That’s because you weren’t paying any attention to the first half of the movie. You would understand it if you weren’t on your phone the whole time.” he said with the glance of a disapproving parent.


“Your right.” she said looking down at her shoes, exaggerating a feeling of shame. “It’s not my fault, the beginning of movies can be so boring sometimes.”


Hector shook his head with a playful smile as they turned the corner just before her apartment. Parking outside, Hector got ready to say goodbye.


“This is it.” said Hector, unlocking the doors.


“Can I tell you something?” Diana asked, slightly uncomfortable.


“Yeah, you can tell me anything. What is it?”


“Well… for the last couple of weeks I’ve been part of a group that’s been really great. They feel like a family to me.”


Hector had an uneasy feeling. “It’s not a cult or anything, I promise. They have been there for me and I feel like they could help you too. I would really appreciate it if you came to a meeting with me sometime.”


“Sure, if it’ll make you happy,” he said, thinking, “This is definitely a cult.”


“Great!” Diana said as she got a sharpie out of her backpack. “Let me see you arm.”


Hector rolled up his sleeves.


“You have to keep this on your arm for a week.” she said, drawing a triangle with an X in the center. “When I did it I just put tape on it. That did the trick.”


She put away the marker and opened the door.


“Thank you.” she said, happy to have not scared Hector to much.


“No problem. I’ll try my best to keep it on.”


Diana pushed the door close, waving as she walked to her door. Hector felt sick. He had no idea what this group was or what Diana had gotten herself into. He looked at the triangle on his arm and wondered if he should try to keep it on or not. Still feeling nauseous he opened the driver side window. Pulling down the road he felt that his relationship with Diana would not be the same.