Abandonment | Teen Ink

Abandonment

December 2, 2015
By LostCreations BRONZE, Sidney, Ohio
LostCreations BRONZE, Sidney, Ohio
3 articles 2 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Impossible is not a word. It is just a reason for someone not to try." - Unknown


It was a cool summer day as I was walking along the wheat field. With the crystal blue sky reflecting through the cool breeze, you wouldn’t believe me when I tell you that this was the worst day of my life.
In the far back left of the wheat field, I saw an old, white wooden house with green and brown moss growing up the sides and in through the broken glass windows. My instincts told me to stay away but my heart always believes in a little adventure. It only took me twenty minutes to get to the front door but it felt like six years. The house looked completely abandoned. I knew I had to get inside. Trying the front door only led to disaster. The rough, silver doorknob broke off and was lost in the years of growing weeds. To my right was a shattered glass window only four feet from the ground. I climbed through, only to cut my hand in the process. The dripping red blood and severe pain wasn’t going to stop me now. I wrapped my hand up in an old, tattered curtain and moved my way slowly around the house. I could hear the sounds of the floor boards creaking with every small step I took. The wall to my left had books by the hundreds piled ceiling high. The floor was covered in debris from part of the ceiling caving in. There was a small hole in the ceiling that led to the second floor. As I looked up into the hole, I saw shadows moving back and forth. I’ve gone too far to turn back now. I walked cautiously up the broken and rotten staircase and into the first room to my left. I had never seen such a horrible sight. He was half skeleton, half skin and his eyes and mouth hung open like he’d just been scared (to death, maybe?). This dead man had obviously been in this house for a few months and I knew I had to do the right thing and call the police. As I turned toward the door, there were two men dressed in black cloaks, holding guns. Not sure what to do, I jumped out of the second story window and ran to get away. When I made it to the police station. I told them all what I witnessed. When they had gone back to investigate there was no sign of a dead man being there, or the other two men for that matter. As the police left me alone in the abandoned house, I had a strange feeling of being watched. I looked out of what used to be a living room window and saw the two men and the police officers. Only, the officers were dead and in that moment of realization, so was I. It was too late.
This was the worst day of my life.
But do you believe me?