Nightmares | Teen Ink

Nightmares

By BSzabo GOLD, Pinehurst, North Carolina
BSzabo GOLD, Pinehurst, North Carolina

"Vanity and pride are different things, though the words are often used synonymously. A person may be proud without being vain. Pride relates more to our opinion of ourselves, vanity to what we would have others think of us." Pride and Prejudice

What we had dissolved in the ocean of uncertainty. It could have been saved, but it crashed against the rocky wall of certainty. That was it. Finally, we’ve ended it. In a way, the end of our friendship was the beginning of my nightmare. Not a day goes by that I don’t think about what happened. Nights tick by with the sound of my screams echoing throughout its passage. Peaceful slumbers only exist in fairytales for me. Every night is a vicious cycle of relentless, remorseful nightmares that eat away my conscience. The constant image of your fingers gripping the knife you heaved into my chest sickens me to the point of paranoia. My heart was left beating in your hand when you smirked at me that night. My lifeless body dropped to your feet, as you desired. What still causes me great worry is why you took my beating heart with you when you left.