The Wall | Teen Ink

The Wall

November 9, 2022
By vedantvalluri BRONZE, Cupertino, California
vedantvalluri BRONZE, Cupertino, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Sometimes everything feels pointless. Not one thing in particular, just all of it. Sometimes you just have to get away from it all, but there’s never any place to go, to leave life’s troubles behind. Sometimes you just have to break yourself off from everyone else, everything else, create a wall. It’s the only way. Every problem, every scar, every brick, made this. It’s perfect, the protection from the dreadful, cruel world. It’s so easy to just say goodbye now, isn’t it. Were you wrong? Should you have stayed? There may have been others, out there on their own, out there beyond the wall. Is it too late now? You’re stuck there, stuck with yourself. Stuck with the deafening silence of your thoughts behind the wall. Stuck with the crowded isolation of the memories on which the wall was built. Stuck with the confusingly simple notion that you must tear it down. It’s better now on the outside. But you'll feel the feeling again, sometimes.


The author's comments:

In this set piece I tried to explore the concept of isolation and existential crises by using symbolism. I took inspiration from Pink Floyd’s wildly popular 1979 rock concept album, “The Wall”. In my set piece as well as the album the metaphorical “wall” symbolizes a form of isolation from the outside world. All of the issues with life that led up to the creation of this wall were all “bricks” in the “wall”. I tried to write it from a second person point of view to express the fact that this happens to everyone. I also employed the use of anaphora starting multiple bits of the piece with the word “sometimes” to articulate the fact that the act of creating this “wall” could happen multiple times. I also used oxymorons near the end of the piece to describe the feeling behind the wall. The thing I like most is the fact that I referenced multiple song titles and lyrics from “The Wall‘ album while fitting it into the set piece smoothly.