horror story | Teen Ink

horror story

June 2, 2022
By Anonymous

I woke up in a pool of my own sweat and saw the alarm clock next to me. 3 A.M. I had been having nightmares for the past month, and every single time I had one I would wake up at 3 A.M. It was the same nightmare every time. I would walk into a dark room and see a woman crying. She had black hair, light brown skin, and she always had her hands covering her face. She was wearing a white dress, which looked similar to what my wife wore the day I married her. She had a soft cry, almost as if she had been here a long time and just couldn't be any louder. I walked up to her, trying to help her.

"Are, are you okay?" 

She kept on crying.

"What is this place, why am I here?" 

She slowly took her hands off her face and turned around. Her eyes were bloodshot and she looked at me like I was the first human she had ever seen. It was my wife, Kara.

"Jay, run! Don't come back! It isn't me. You have to trust me, Jay, just run please."

I would always wake up after she told me that, at 3 A.M. I didn't know what to think of it. My wife, Kara, told me to run away in my dreams but when I woke up she was sleeping right next to me. I had been married to Kara for three years and loved her for every second of it. She was the most beautiful woman I had ever seen in my life, and I still believe it to this day. I would just ignore these dreams because there wasn't any reason for me to believe them. But recently, Kara has been acting unusual. It started about a month ago. It first happened when I was coming back from work. As I was going to the bathroom, I saw her out of the corner of my eye, just staring at me. She had a straight face, almost as if she didn't realize she was looking at me. 

"Kara, you okay?" I asked with a worried tone.

She just started laughing and closed the door. I was so confused. Was she trying to prank me? I couldn't tell. A few days later, when I was coming out of the shower I saw her out of the corner of my eye again. She was hiding behind our bedroom door. I could see half her face. This time though, instead of having a straight face, she appeared to be smiling. When I looked at her she immediately backed into the room. I went into the room and saw her, just sitting on the bed on her phone

"Kara, what was that?"

"What do you mean?"

"Why were you just standing there, looking at me?"

"Jay, what are you talking about? I've been sitting here for the past 20 minutes. I think you're tired. Let's go to sleep."

She seemed so sincere, I had to believe her. Maybe I was just seeing things. Kara wasn't the one to really make jokes or pranks, especially ones involving horror. She hated scary things. A few years ago, when we just started dating I had convinced her to watch Insidious with me. It was not an easy task, she hadn't seen a scary movie in years, and when she did watch it with me she was clutching onto me the entire movie and would look away anytime something gory happened. I thought it was cute, but she said she doesn't ever want to watch another scary movie again, and I respected that. So now I started to wonder, was Kara playing pranks on me, or am I just imagining it? Around a week after I thought I saw her staring at me, I had the nightmare again. I woke up and saw Kara next to me sleeping. My throat felt extremely dry, so I went to the kitchen to pour myself a glass of water. While I was drinking it though I felt extremely uncomfortable. Almost as if someone was watching me. That's when I saw it. I saw Kara's face peeking out above the kitchen counter. She was smiling with her mouth wide open, and her eyes, they were so unhuman. I couldn't breathe. 

"Kara, honey, are you okay,?" I said barely getting the words out.

She started to crawl back to our room, all while staring at me and still smiling. When she left it finally felt like I could breathe again. I didn't know what to do. The woman I have loved for years and who I want to spend the rest of my life with is acting like she came out of a horror movie. I went back to our room, terrified of what I would find, but it was Kara. She was sleeping. I slowly got in the bed, each and every step felt like it took an eternity. I was waiting for her to just wake up and rip my heart out, but she stayed asleep. I got into bed and tried to sleep but I almost couldn't. The sun was nearly coming up and I passed out from exhaustion. I barely slept when Kara woke me. I almost fell over the bed when I saw her.

"Jay, you feeling okay?"

"Why did you do that last night?"
"Why did I do what?"

"Kara, please stop this. I'm starting to get scared and it's really not funny."

"Jay, I don't know what you're talking about. Please stop talking like this"

Kara had always been a person who shows off her emotions, and that's what she was doing now. She knew I was being serious, but I could tell she wasn't lying. I think I really am going crazy. 

"You're right, maybe I'm just seeing things, I don't know."

I drove off to work, still not knowing what to believe. Was Kara just playing a prank on me? Was I just hallucinating? I started having the nightmares more, it was the same thing, but now it was happening every day. Every day I would wake up at 3 A.M, and would see Kara next to me, sleeping. But yesterday is where I couldn't take it. I woke up at 3 A.M, and Kara wasn't there. I was so sick of having these nightmares, and I couldn't sleep. I went to the living room and sat down, thinking about what had been going on, but I could hear something. It was heavy breathing, coming from one of the guest bedrooms. It was so faint I almost didn't hear it.

"Kara?" I called out, hoping I could just see my wife walk out and respond to me, but there was nothing. Only heavy breathing.

"Kara, are you in there?"

Nothing, just heavy breathing. I got up and each step I took to get to the door made me feel like my hear was sinking. I started to open the door, and the smell hit me. It was rancid. It smelt like rotting flesh. I felt like I was gonna throw up, but then I saw Kara. She was sitting on the floor, hands and face covered in blood, eating an animal. I couldn't make out what it was before she looked at me and started to smile. I was frozen, I didn't know what to do. She was just staring at me and eating the animal. She started to stand up, and I felt a cold chill down my spine. I ran, ran faster than I had in my life. I grabbed my keys and bolted out of the house. I could feel her watching me, getting close to me and feel her breath on the back of my neck, but when I got in my car nothing was behind me. I had no idea what was going on, but I knew I couldn't stay. I drove for hours, until I pulled over and passed out. I woke up to missing calls and messages  from my coworkers and Kara, asking me where I was and why did I leave. In a fit of rage and confusion, I slammed my hands on the wheel, livid at the way she tried to message me after what I had seen. I drove to a hotel, and decided to I would be here a few days while I figured out what to do next. I knew that if I didn't call Kara, things would get worse. But I just couldn't. After seeing what she had done, I was terrified of her. The same woman who couldn't stand the sight of gore, the same woman who would hide under the blankets and hold me tight when there was a thunderstorm was eating animals. Tears started to run down my face. All I wanted was to go back home and be with my wife. I called the police, and told them about what my wife had done, hoping they would be able to detain her and find out why she had been acting this way. But I don't think that's gonna happen anymore. My phone lit up, and I instantly felt a shiver down my spine. I looked at the message.

"You can't run anymore Jay."

After reading that, the number sent a picture of the motel I was staying at, zoomed in on my room. I locked my door and have been hiding in the bathroom, with the uneasy feeling that someone is watching me.


The author's comments:

A short horror story I wrote