On the Run | Teen Ink

On the Run

March 9, 2018
By MattBowers BRONZE, Raleigh, North Carolina
MattBowers BRONZE, Raleigh, North Carolina
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

FADE IN:

EXT. NIGHT. HIGHWAY.

In western Europe, Light snowfall, A large town can be seen in the background.

A small house well off the side of the road comes into view. The house is old and dilapidated, the roof sags. REVVING of car engines can be heard in the distance from the highway.

INT. HOUSE

A young man, PHILLIP, sits at the table in the only room of the house, drinking out of an unlabeled bottle. The man is unkempt, dirty, and ragged.

Windows are boarded up.

Hiccups softly and pours another glass.

Phillip's phone vibrates.

PHILLIP: (looks at phone) Again?

BANGING on door.

PHILLIP: Bloody hell.

Voice (O.S.): Open up, Lip, you can't run away from this.

Phillip gets out of chair slowly and stands looking at the door.

Bangs on the door again. Dust falls from the roof.

EXT. HOUSE

CHESTER, a man near thirty, is lean and handsome. Looks clean in a simple winter jacket, slacks, and dress shoes.

CHESTER: C'mon now, don't make this hard on yourself. We both knew about the consequ--

Phillip throws open door and storms out.

PHILLIP: Don't tell me we knew the consequences. We were kids when you dragged me into this life! It's been too long now, there's no getting out.

 

CHESTER: (stumbles backwards) Whoa! What the hell.

PHILLIP: You told me it was safe. We'd get the money and get out, no strings. No loose ends. (mockingly) "All we 'ave to do is pick up the shipment and sell a few pounds, we'll be rich afterwards."

Phillip rushes back into the house, leaving Chester looking shaken.

INT. HOUSE

CHESTER: (peeks around door frame) Lip?

PHILLIP: (drinks from bottle) What, Chess, you here to tell me to come with you and go meet THEM, the people who ruined our lives, or, well, my life. You seem to be doing just fine.

Phillip gives Chester a loathing look.

CHESTER: No. No. You're struggling. I came to see if it was really as bad as they said.

PHILLIP: (glaring) Ah, right. Of course they know where I am. (laughs) I forgot--you're one of them now.

CHESTER: Actually, you've done a good job hiding. It took some time to finally track you down.

CHESTER: Lip c'mon I've always had your back--

PHILLIP: (flying out of the chair) You've always had my back? What about Paris, you left and I had to clean up the mess you left me in. Those--those people didn't have to die but you had to pull on him.

CHESTER: Paris was a bad job, but we both made it out and got paid.

Phillip sits back down and drinks again.

CHESTER: Cut it with the drinking. You're only hurting yourself now.

Chester tries to take the drink out of Phillip's hand

PHILLIP: Oy! Tosser!

Phillip pulls back, standing up from the chair.

CHESTER: You're drunk. Why on earth did you think it would be a good idea to get hammered while the entire British mob is after you?

PHILLIP: If I'm going to die because of you, I might as well go out feeling good.

Chester grunts.

CHESTER: I didn't sign your death sentence, you did that yourself.

PHILLIP: You left without a word I was stranded in Istanbul with no idea how to get out of the country.

CHESTER: I. No. I didn't. You screwed up. Not me.

PHILLIP: (in disbelief) How is this my screw up.

CHESTER: You went AWOL with sixty pounds of heroin!

PHILLIP: You were supposed to be there. (beginning to cry) I was lost and had to figure out how to smuggle it across five different borders. You screwed me over.

Chester walks and looks out the still open door, sighs, and turns back around

CHESTER: I can't protect you anymore. Give me the product and get the hell out of here.

PHILLIP: I don't have it.

CHESTER: (shocked) What?

PHILLIP: I. Don't. Have. It.

Chester takes a step back, leaning on the wall.

CHESTER: What the hell did you do with it?

PHILLIP: Left it somewhere in Belgium--good luck finding it.

CHESTER: (quietly) You are insane. You know that right?

PHILLIP: Am I really the one not right in the head? You're working for the mob. You endanger everyone you come into contact with.

CHESTER: You work for them too. I'm not the only bad man in this house.

 

PHILLIP: I'm out.

As Phillip turns around, sighing, Chester pulls out his phone and begins to type. Phillip sees this and snatches the phone out of Chester's hand.

PHILLIP: No phones.

CHESTER: I need my phone. Give me my phone

PHILLIP: (looking at the phone) Should've waited a few more seconds. (holding up phone) Only three digits into the password.

CHESTER: Look, Lip, I can figure this out, but you have to trust me. Don't worry I'll figure something out. I promise. Just give me back my phone.

PHILLIP: (standing up) You expect me to trust you?

CHESTER: Yes, because I know you don't want to die. You can keep the phone I'll get another.

PHILLIP: So you can track me, no not happening.

Phillip throws the phone back to Chester.

CHESTER: Thank you. See that was easy.

Chester walks out the door looks back and motions for Phillip to follow him.

PHILLIP: Where?

CHESTER: My car is parked about three miles walk from here.

PHILLIP: (snickering) Didn't want me to hear you coming and bolt, did ya?

CHESTER: That was the general idea.

PHILLIP: I'm gonna stay here.

CHESTER: Why?

PHILLIP: I don't trust you. So go get your car and I'll stay here.

CHESTER: You think I'm an idiot. We both know ten minutes after I'm gone you're gonna bolt.

PHILLIP: (throws phone to Chester) Leave.

CHESTER: I'm trying to help.

Phillip lies down on a cot in the corner of the house.

PHILLIP: I said leave.

CHESTER: I tried, Phillip. Remember that.

Chester leaves the house.

EXT. OUTSIDE OF THE HOUSE

Chester begins the walk along the trail on the edge of the woods and the field.
Chester pulls out his phone and dials a number.

CHESTER: He's at the house. Everything is in Belgium according to him, but who knows. (pause) Yah, send the team. (pause) Bye.

Chester hangs up and turns around towards the direction of the house.

CHESTER: Good luck.

EXT. WOODS

Phillip walks through the woods with a poorly thrown together backpack. He trips over roots and shrubbery.

Voices in the Distance: He's near here somewhere! Spread out and cover more ground.

Phillip begins running through the brush more frantically. 

Screen goes black. GUNSHOT. THUD.

FADE OUT: