Deadly Sins | Teen Ink

Deadly Sins

By michellewerbeck BRONZE, Mocksville, North Carolina
michellewerbeck BRONZE, Mocksville, North Carolina

Dining hall of a prison. Tasha Jones sits by herself at a table. She plays with her food looking slightly depressed. (ENTERS SR) Juliet Paterson. Pretty girl who’s chewing her gum a little too much. She checks Tasha out and then sits down beside her.

Juliet Paterson
(She leans in close to the woman next to her popping her gum) So big guy. What's your name and why are you here?

Tasha Jones
(She leans away slightly) My name is Tasha Jones (pauses slightly)  and I really don’t want to talk about it.

Juliet Paterson
(she leans in getting more interested)  Well rumor has it that you killed the 5 year old girl you would babysit, but did you do it? (she smirks and her eyes get big with excitement)

Tasha Jones
(she looks hurt and is slightly shocked) No. No, I didn’t do it.

Juliet Paterson
(confusion is painted on her face) Then what are you doing in here? (she blows a bubble and pops it)

Tasha Jones
(looking down at the table) I told you I don’t want to talk about...

Juliet Paterson
(she giggles) Okay, but seriously how’d you kill her? (her eyes light up again waiting for a response, and she rests her head in her hands as she leans on the table)

Tasha Jones
(her face lights up with frustration and her eyes fill with tears and she picks up her tray and slams it down. She whips her head around towards Juliet and looks her in the eyes) I. Didn’t. Kill. Her.

Juliet Paterson
(she backs away a little, but her eyes are now full of love for this woman and she smirks as she puts her hand on Tasha’s shoulder and swallows her gum) Well someone has a temper...I like a person with a temper. That’s what got me in here. (she motions around to the prison)

Tasha Jones
(her voice is soft) I don’t have a temper

Juliet Paterson
(shrugs her shoulders) Okay hot head. And I mean that literally. You are extremely attractive. (she winks)

Tasha Jones
(blushing) Thanks, but uh... what did you mean when you said you liked someone with a temper?

Juliet Paterson
(laughs slightly) That was sarcasm silly. But sadly I did end up here because of a man with a temper. You see I’m a small 22 year old woman. I get hit on. A lot. And well one day I kind of snapped. Which is kind of the reason I’m here.

Tasha Jones
(shock covers her face and she lowers her voice to a slight whisper) Did you kill someone for cat calling you? Oh God, you killed someone and then kept killing didn’t you? I see the look of pleasure in your eyes when you thought I murdered someone. You’re crazy! (she begins to stand up to try and get away)

Juliet Paterson
(she pushes Tasha back down on her seat and speaks in a hushed tone) Shutup. Shut. Up. I’m not crazy. I had to act like that to make sure you weren’t crazy. That’s how I know who I can trust.

Tasha Jones
(looks confused) What do you mean?

Juliet Paterson
(sighs and looks around cautiously, she takes a deep breathe) A year ago I was drugged at a party. My boyfriend roofied my drink or something.

Tasha Jones
Wait...if he was your boyfriend why the hell would he do that? I thought people only did that when they were going to----

Juliet Paterson
(she cuts him off) Exactly. He was going to do exactly that. Because I wouldn’t give him what he wanted. I wanted to stay pure until marriage. And I was pure for so long. And so sheltered….

(a short pause)

Tasha Jones

(slowly/drawn out) ...So how did that lead to you being here?

Juliet Paterson
Well once I woke up the next morning I found my clothes scattered across the floor. And I was in extreme pain, but more than that I was angry. The first thing I did was get up and make a phone call. I called the police. They told me they couldn’t do anything. I called my parents and they told me to pray about it (she rolls her eyes at this).That wasn’t enough. So I did it. I called him. And he told me “Don’t you remember? You were begging for it?”

Tasha Jones
So what did you do?

Juliet Paterson
Well after he swore up and down that I wanted it I got my things in order. My original plan was to kill myself, but after I began carving the lines into my skin I realized this was his doing. He should be the one to suffer. He should be the one bleeding and suffering until his eyes lose their sight. Not me.

Tasha Jones
Did you kill him then? (she asks anxiously)

Juliet Paterson
(slightly seductive) I’m getting there

Tasha Jones
(nods)

Juliet Paterson
So I called him. Told him I was sorry and that he was right and I wanted to do it again, but my way. So when he came over I told him I wanted to try something. Of course being a boy he was excited about this. So I tied his hands to the headboard and left the room telling him I’d be back with a surprise. When I came back I had the same razor I  used to slit my wrist hours before. The fear in his eyes gave me power. It scared me, but excited me all at the same time. (A pause;Tasha looks more fearful)

Tasha Jones
(nervously) So you did ki--

Juliet Paterson
(cuts Tasha off by putting a single finger to her mouth and shushing her then continues) I ran the razor across his body starting from his feet and grazed all the way up and stopped at his neck. He begged for me not to do. He struggled to break free, but I whispered “Don’t you remember? You were begging for this?” then I slide the cold razor across his throat. He struggled to breathe and the light left his eyes. Then I gathered my stuff and called my parents. Told them I came up with a better plan and said my goodbyes. Then I called the police department to turn myself. They arrived and drove me here where I made my statement which went something along the lines of (in a more innocent tone) “everyone told me they couldn’t do anything about it so I took matters into my own hands.”

(there's a silence between them for a moment)

Tasha Jones
(she shifts uncomfortably in her seat before speaking) Do you regret it?

Juliet Paterson
(she shakes her head no) No, I don’t. And since I’m already going to hell I have plans for myself tonight. You won’t be seeing me tomorrow.

Tasha Jones
Do you really think that’s a good idea? (concern in his eyes)

Juliet Paterson
(she shrugs and tears form in her eyes) Well it’s either me do it now or wait years for the state to do it for me

Tasha Jones
(she shakes his head in understanding)

(the bell for the end of eating rings)

Juliet Paterson
(she takes a deep breath and wipes the tears from her eyes) Bye friend, maybe I’ll see you on the other side. (she smiles, flashes Tasha two razor blades she has in hand and lays one on the table beside her, then she whispers in Tasha’s ear) In case you need a quicker way out of this place.  (then kisses her on the cheek) Thanks for listening. (She gets up and winks at her as an officer handcuffs her and escorts her off SR)

Tasha Jones
(stands to go after her, her eyes fill with tears and she is handcuffed and taken off SL, she struggles to look back, but is forced forward)

(lights dim and spotlight is focused on the razor on the table;an officer comes over a walkie talkie)

Officer
(unsympathetic; almost sounds exhausted) Uh yeah we’re going to have to make a few calls. We’ve got another one. By razor blade this time. Right across the neck. Check the other inmates cells. We can’t have a repeat of this.

(cuts to black)

What I hope is taken from this is how a single thing that occurs in your life can affect you so much. It can make a person literally snap inside and change them forever.