Lord of the Flies Parody: National Fashion Design Fiasco | Teen Ink

Lord of the Flies Parody: National Fashion Design Fiasco

August 7, 2016
By moxi99 GOLD, Manlius, New York
moxi99 GOLD, Manlius, New York
17 articles 1 photo 0 comments

Checklist:

Fabric
Needles
Patterns
Pins
Sketchbook
Thread
Wireless sewing machine (battery powered)


Sarah’s Journal
Day 1:
I am about to board the plane for the National Fashion Design Convention (NFDC). I am pretty sure I have all of my supplies, but I cannot be positive. Let me check again. Okay I think I have everything. Now where is everyone else?  I’m sitting on the plane and suddenly a rush of fashion designers come in.  Phew...I am not the only one. Now where is the pilot? We have to go. There is mild chatter going about, but I am not interested. I have come to this convention for one reason, and one reason only: to be a winner.  As the other designers are getting to know one another, the pilot arrives and we are off. My road to triumph begins! Wait what was that I just heard? A clatter and crash of some sort. What is happening... something is terribly wrong.
AFTER THE CRASH
I’m still clutching onto my journal and pen, but where are all my essentials? Now I cannot design. Now I will never be perfect! Wait a minute, where am I? Where are the others? Where is the pilot?
Tom’s Journal
Day 1:
Before anyone reads this besides me, let us get two things straight. Yes I’m a boy writing in a journal. Boys can have journals too. Also I am into fashion, so what? Boys can be into fashion and design. It is not just meant for girls. Okay now I am arriving to go to the National Fashion Design Convention. I am very excited. Although, I am not exactly sure where we are going. I gave my parents a warm goodbye and thanked them for giving me the opportunity of fashion. It was an outlet for my depression phases, but I don’t feel like writing that stuff down now. I see the plane on the runway and there is a girl already sitting on the plane. She is very pretty, but I know she would never go for someone like me. I hop on the plane and sit towards the front. I want to see everyone as they walk in. I don’t think the girl recognized me. Should I introduce myself? No.  As more girls file in, I am worried I will be the only boy, until Sam walks in and sits across from me.  Once the pilot takes control, we are off. All of a sudden, it gets a little rocky and we start to swerve…
AFTER THE CRASH
I reach stable ground and still have all of my supplies in tact. Good; I can still sew.  Now I just need to find the others.

Agatha’s Journal
Day 1:
Why am I even here?  Only because my mother happens to be one of the most famous fashion designers in New York. I ABSOLUTELY HATE FASHION! It makes me sick. All the bright colors and floral patterns. I am boarding the plane with my supplies in hand. I am prepared to chuck it all out of the plane window after I say goodbye to my mom. Once I am on the plane I move to the far back, but as I do so I pass a boy who looks so thrilled to be here and a girl who looks so stuck up it hurts to look at her. Looks like I will not have very many friends here. As the plane begins to ascend, I see my mom crying from the window. She is so happy I’m following in her footsteps, but really she made me...Hold on something is wrong. I mean seriously wrong. Woah the plane is not on its course; it is a bit shaky.
AFTER THE CRASH
Wait I’m not dead? To be honest I kind of wanted to die or get severely injured because then I would never have had to participate in this dumb fashion convention.  Where am I anyways? Can I just go home? Maybe the fashion supplies could come in handy afterall. What I really love is camping and hunting. I do this with my dad often and it is truly my passion. I can use the materials to fish- use needles to hold up the thread and hook a worm onto the end of the thread. Then the boys can grill the fish and we will have a steady food supply.

Sarah’s Journal
Day 3:
I am freaking out! It has been two days since the accident and I cannot find my supplies anywhere. On the bright side, I found people. There are five of us all together. Tom, Agatha, Sam, Grace and I cannot forget about myself. We soon discovered that the pilot perished along with the other 95 contestants. I am the only one in the crash that lost all of their supplies. Grace is going on about how she lost her silk, which her grandmother had given her from Hong Kong. So annoying.  I just want to get off this island. There is nothing here; no food and no fresh water.  Not to mention I have nothing to do! I cannot even hand sew. I have been aware of Tom’s wandering eye and I wonder if I can manipulate him to giving me some of his supplies. I do not care if it is mean. Also Tom and Sam brought along water bottles and everyday we are carefully rationing out water sips to stay alive. Truthfully, I don’t know why Agatha is here. She does not like anyone, except maybe Sam.  However, she did manage to teach the boys how to fish with needles and thread. I have to say that was pretty innovative for a non-fashionista, like herself. Oh I forgot to mention, there’s been fighting going on between Agatha and Grace and the boys are taking sides. I, of course, am not interested in any petty fights, while I am on this remote island. I was here for one purpose only, and that purpose was to win!

Tom’s Journal
Day 3:
Remain calm. Do not become depressed. I need to find the good in this situation and not revert back to my suicidal ways. Fashion was and still is a salvation for me; I want to help the group in getting off of this island. Once I found the other four designers, I was relieved. I used my creativity to its advantage when constructing shelters made from our nylon canvas and our wireless powered sewing machines. On the downside, the fabric does not protect us from the rain. Nonetheless, they would have to do for a temporary home. I also came up with the idea to use our steel needles and sketchbook paper to start a fire for warmth and for hopes of being rescued. So I guess I became the involuntary leader. Most everyone obeyed me except, Sarah and Agatha. I am not interested in Sarah anymore. Sure she is pretty to look at, but she is not very intelligent. Agatha seems a bit out of place for a sewing convention, however she did teach Sam and I how to fish using needles and thread. The needle was used to tie the thread through it, while we tied a worm to the end of the thread and threw it into the ocean. In order to get everyone’s attention, I used an empty spool of thread and called to everyone through the hole in the center. It worked for the first 2 days, but then today there was a fight going on between Grace and Agatha. We did not have enough food and Agatha was trying to coax Grace to help Sam, her and I.  It got so out of hand that Agatha was lunging at her with needles and sewing pins. I have no idea what brought this wild side out from Agatha. Sam and I ran to the scene just as Agatha sliced Grace in the cheek. Grace cried out in pain. From talking to Grace,  I could see she wanted to help, but she did not know how. She has never hunted or killed anything, but of course she wanted to help with survival. Agatha was not giving her enough time to explain. Before I knew it, Sam and I were taking sides with the girls and suddenly a large wall was up between us. 

Agatha’s Journal
Day 3:
Is it really the third day? It has been so long. The people here are crazy, except Sam. He is so nice and he understands where I’m coming from. We both have the wealthy upbringing and the fashion designer relatives.  We both know it is a hard profession to come by if you don’t have the right connections, but this path just was not for us.  Although, Sam and I became fast friends, what I really want is to go home. I know that in order to so we need to survive for a couple more days. My survival/hunting skills I learned from my dad had kicked in and I figured out a way to fish using needles and thread. Tom and Sam especially seemed grateful for my innovativeness and my efforts in contributing to our food supply. My mom would be so proud of me for even touching the supplies.  Today, regarding the incident with Grace, I honestly do not know what happened. I have insulaphobia or fear of islands, so maybe that phobia was beginning to trigger. Last night, I heard malicious sounds and I knew I just had to get off the island. But I also knew that I could not. Additionally, I am scared of sea creatures and I am claustrophobic. Most islands are small and in this case all I wanted to do was get off of it. I snapped; I will admit it. Even for someone like me who acts all tough on the outside, has fears too. I attacked Grace, for which I had no reason to. Maybe because she was acting all dainty and shy and not putting the effort into our survival made me angry. I feel remorseful for going after Grace with my pins and needles. I do not want to be abusive, but sometimes I can’t help it.

Sarah’s Journal
Day 5:
Yesterday the group finally hatched a plan to get safely off the island. Of course, I did not bother helping. I am trying to get a tan because why not I am on an island. Sam and Tom being the gentlemen they are have been giving me fish daily that they have grilled. Yum. I am still trying to remain calm after losing my supplies and my fake flirtation with Tom got me nowhere. He would not budge. Anyway, Sam, Grace and Tom began to sew a banner with the leftover satin and silk fabric that spelled out, “HELP.”  Agatha was busy melding steel needles to place in pattern pouches. She then sewed the pattern pouch closed to be blown up in the sky like flares.


AFTER THE RESCUE
I just wanted the NFDC to go perfect, but it was a total bust. I’m never doing fashion again. I could have died. I lost all my supplies. I did not meet anyone worth staying in touch with and I definitely did not achieve my absolute goal of winning.

Tom’s Journal
Day 5:
Yesterday, the girls stopped their fighting and Sam and I went back to being friends. Girls can be so aggressive. Going fishing with Sam every morning is relaxing and calming. I have not gotten depressed once since being on the island. It is nice to know that when all of this is over, I still made a friend. Four of us (not Sarah) came up with a plan to get rescued. Grace, Sam, Agatha and I would use our remaining silk and rayon fabric to write the word, “HELP.” Additionally, Agatha with her background of hunting used the idea of makeshift flares to get aircraft and ships attentions.
AFTER THE RESCUE
I was not sure what to expect after receiving my admission to the NFDC. Would the girls make fun of a boy in fashion? Would there be other boys? I can fully say that my main doubts were gone once I got on the plane, but boy was I in for an adventure. This fashion convention made me change my style to a more edgy, bold, feminine look from the young, frilly style I’m used to. The environment changed me, but honestly for the better.


Agatha’s Journal
Day 5:
Two days ago, I do not know what came over me when I went after Grace.  When I was little I was abused physically by my uncle, so maybe I feel the need to control situations.  Ever since I arrived on the plane, I wanted to leave and after five days I still do. However, I am glad I met Sam. He has taught me that I can be myself without my parents approval.  Ever since I was young, I have disliked fashion, but this experience made me see that I do have a creative side, even if I do not willingly admit it.  I used fashion supplies to fish and to signal for help. After a few hours of leaving the silk-made banner in the sand and sending off flares, the five us were finally rescued. 
AFTER THE RESCUE
I do not think I could have stayed on the island any longer than five days. I am so happy to see my mom and tell her about about my experiences. All I want is to make her proud of me. Looking back on the failed fashion design convention, I believed everything happened for a reason. I met four people who all have experienced the same adventure that I have. Although, I was not the most positive person in the group in the beginning, I was able to come out of my shell and use my past techniques to aid the group in its rescue.