The Interview | Teen Ink

The Interview MAG

By Briannalynch GOLD, Hollywood, Florida
Briannalynch GOLD, Hollywood, Florida

1. Scarlett Fuentes.
2. May 14, 1987.
3. 12:47 p.m.
4. 28.
5. I started working for him about three months ago.
6. I didn’t at first, but now that you mention it, it seems possible.
7. No way. He couldn’t have.
8. How do I know? Well, I’ve known him most of my life. I know him better than his own family, probably.
9. No, that’s gross. We were only friends.
10. Well, I mean every once in awhile he’d have an outburst, but nothing like this. He’s never hurt anyone in his whole life. He never will.
11. Yeah, like I said, he did start acting differently around that time, but what’s that got to do with murder? He didn’t hurt anybody. He’s not capable of it.
12. He just sort of zoned out for a long time. He’d also get angry more often, but it wasn’t like he’d kill anybody. That just isn’t him.
13. The goop? Oh. Well, you see, he’d been working on this experiment for a little bit involving it. He didn’t test anybody but himself, though, so it’s not technically illegal, right?
14. That’s just impossible.
15. I don’t want to talk about that.
16. Fine. So you know how sometimes people get so obsessed with their work that they see it in everything they do? Well, he’d gotten to that point. There wasn’t really any turning point. It was like one day he woke up and everything in his life had to do with the goop. I don’t understand what this has to do with the murder, though.
17. How could you have? He’s been framed, I know it.
18. It’s just not like him to involve any outside sources. He wouldn’t even tell me, his own partner. Isn’t that crazy? And you seem to think he got a bunch of strangers to participate.
19. There’s been more than one incident? Why wasn’t I informed?
20. Not necessary? You two would certainly get along.
21. It’s still in the lab. You arrested him before we could even clean it up or anything. You can check it out if you want. You’re not gonna find anything.
22. I think it was Dr. Ethan Ray.
23. Well, Dr. Ray was always trying to figure out ways to get under his skin. He’s a social scientist, you know, and there’s no one easier to test than the man who’s renting your lab. Plus, I heard that Dr. Ray didn’t even want to rent out his lab. He was just doing it for the extra money.
24. No. Are we almost done here?
25. I don’t know.
26. I’m telling you, Dr. Skinner is innocent.
27. Why are you asking me this? I don’t know what was in the stupid goop. I was hired to clean the test tubes, not to concoct complex chemical equations.
28. I don’t want to answer that question
29. No, you’re wrong.
30. He wouldn’t – he didn’t do that.
31. Please take that picture away from me.
32. I won’t cooperate with this.
33. You’ve set him up.
34. I knew it. You just want access to all of his work. You want the credit to all of his hard work.
35. This isn’t right. You can’t just erase years of work. I don’t have the answer that you want.
36. You might as well just kill me.
37. You aren’t gonna actually do that, are you?
38. Please stop.
39. Stop.
40. Stop.
End of session: 14 May, 1987,
1:21 p.m.

This is a bit of an experimental piece where I tried to record just one side of a fictional interview.