The White Tigress | Teen Ink

The White Tigress

By Brooklynfyre PLATINUM, Warsaw, Indiana
Brooklynfyre PLATINUM, Warsaw, Indiana

I’m at the edge of a cliff looking down, watching the dark green mix in with the blackness of the churning water. Looking back, I can see the crowd gathering. Some are ushering to continue, others pleading me to come back. Scanning the crowd, I look for the eyes that haunt me in my dreams at night, the soul reason for me being at the cliff. The edge is rocky and every move makes the earth crumble a little under my weight. “You don’t deserve him!” someone in the crowd yells. It’s not distinct enough to figure out whom exactly.
A tear escapes my restraint and cascades down my cheek. A yowl bubbles in my throat, aching to be let out as my pale skin shifts to silvery white fur. One last look at the blurring crowd is all I need to know that he isn’t here. Then a shape appears from the crowd, the raven black hair, and the deep, all seeing, brown eyes. The eyes that can see into the darkest depth of my broken soul, the eyes that have kept me alive, the eyes who kept me in this forsaken and wretched world, and the ones who are able to send me back.
Hearing the growl of his wolf, my tiger yowls in pain and loneliness. He steps from the crowd as his body morphs into that of his wolf. The same blackness of his hair, but beautiful bright, crystal blue eyes stare back at me.
Under a spell, I take a step towards him and away from the cliff. My Body stops midway in the change as our eyes connect. My ears twitch while my tail swishes in nervousness. Swish… swish… it’s all silent. I feel another being standing beside me. Lucca growls in warning. I feel something touch my claw like fingers. All I see is orange and black, another tiger. He smiles at me, but it doesn’t reach his catty green eyes. Fear and Loathing grab my heart as I feel the only connection I cared about, break.
My cry turns into a yowl of pain as my body finishes the transformation. As soon as I hear him, his warning growl, I turn and jump. I jump away from the cliff and the people who wanted me gone, down into the cold black abyss below. It’s only silent for a second as the wind whips around me, trying to push me back up, but gravity, in all its glory, prevails and sends me plummeting into the thrashing murky water below.
I can hear the other wolves now. Singing their song of glory and victory, as their last enemy jumps to her death. Howling in happiness and success; success at getting rid of the last of the unwanted, the white tigress. Apart from their howls is a distinct one I have come to recognize and cherish, my mate. His howl is a long, low howl. It’s full of sadness and remorse.
Tigers and wolves don’t mix.