I Want to Write a Fantasy | Teen Ink

I Want to Write a Fantasy

By AdrienneMPayne SILVER, Gainesville, Florida
AdrienneMPayne SILVER, Gainesville, Florida

I write because it silences the voices in my head.

I want to write a fantasy… I want to rearrange your thoughts with something epic, timeless and beautiful, and something worthy of worn out pages that have lasted through years of experience. I want to hold you captive within the covers, between the pages, and through the words…

I want write something as smooth and pure as milky white ivory from a distant land, exotic and cool to the touch, and something as warm as heat rising from dry and thirsty earth that cracks under a wanderer’s heavy feet. I want to write words that fall like snow, gently in the woods at night, as they dust over the silent life encased in ice. I want to pen words that swim the seas of the mind, creating waves and ripples that crash against an empty shoreline where everything is desolate and golden, until the seagull calls from the sky, flying over an array of shells strewn like broken stained glass.

I want to write words that leave <i> marks <i>, like the bruises from the grip of a stranger riding the terror in the shadows of a nightmare. I want to create a rose, sweet, intoxicating… and blood red as the liquid that drips from your finger when you prick it on the devilish thorn, its sharp spear for defense of its delicate petals. The words should heal your wound and coat like fresh aloe and restoring unguent, soothing the sting with its analgesic and sealing the tear meant to admonish a tempted finger.

I want to take you into enigmatic dark caverns with treasure hidden high in a dank cavity that is difficult to reach from the mist over aged rocks, making the climb slick and daring with each impossible step. Before you fall into an abyss that will swallow you up forever and leave no trace of your existence… I want to rescue you on the ethereal wings of an angel. Wings so white, so sparkling, you are blinded by the diamond crusted figure, cutting the light with its prisms and sending rainbows to paint every surface.

I want you to fly over worlds unknown… I want you to soar over emerald oceans owned by unfathomable beasts and mermaids that surface like the dolphins, full of curiosity and play, tossing around small creatures, with vain decorations in their untamed curls and the trickle of water in their laughter. I want you to gaze upon cheerful meadows covered in carpets of soft green grasses, consuming the sun for the moist earth underneath that still holds the dew from the morning, as it caught every tear shed from every strong blade and frail blossom. Blossoms, as you quaintly observe, over which the fairies flutter above in the afternoon to collect their nectar and bring life to a still place.

I want you to tremble from the sharp chill that racks through your body when you peer down over deep purple marshes with strange trees rising up like tired caretakers. They all bend over the earth after so many years, with humps in their backs and fallen clouds at their feet, shrouding what slithers underneath the vapor. I want you to cling tightly when you reach thick forests where the dark things find shelter, planning and conspiring within the refuge of the maze that is the unexplored patch of repetitive fir trees.

Fly… Fly… Through a cloak of cotton clouds until you reach the edge of the wood, where the smoke from a cottager’s chimney rises to meet you in the sky… Safe at last, you enter his seclusion and partake of his meal, full of spices and rich flavors new to your tongue. It flows down your insides like cream, hitting your middle and spreading warmth and sustenance outward to the tips of your fingers…

You find contentment in front of his humble hearth where he tells you tales of adventure… He tells you of the battles fought by kings and queens who ruled the land, and how they brought peace through suffering. He tells you of devious pirates, who plunder for riches they are sure never to use, and of one, just one, who managed to turn out alright, as he winks at you mischievously… Then he tells you of the romances that survived all trials and stood the test of time and separation, creating a unity so strong that love overcame the darkness that haunts all things sacred…

He whispers until you fall asleep, and his words become part of your dreams… I want to write a fantasy… I want to write a fantasy like <i> that <i>.

JRaye PLATINUM said...
JRaye PLATINUM, Dorr, Michigan

"If you build your house far enough away from Trouble, then Trouble will never find you."

"Have you ever looked fear in the face and said, 'I just don't care.'?"

I want to read a fantasy like that - no, I feel like I just did! :D Absolutely, stunningly beautiful!