Cases of the IDA Chapter 2 | Teen Ink

Cases of the IDA Chapter 2

By Masterbdg701 SILVER, Las Vegas, Nevada
Masterbdg701 SILVER, Las Vegas, Nevada

"We do not inherit the land from our ancestors, but borrow it from our children" part of an Indian song. "You get more of what you want with a gun and a kind word then with just a kind word." Al Capone

Chapter 2
Dealing with Demons

We dropped off Miss Ook at her flat and returned to our cruiser and hit the road.
“So where are we heading off to? There are around 15 different demon themed districts throughout Instatopia, and you know that once they find out we’re investigating, the others will clam up right?” Detective Green stated as he looked at his communicator as it compared the image with the local database.
“But there is only one district in particular that can pull something like this off and I’m fairly certain the results will confirm my suspicions…” I replied, looking at the road ahead.
“You don’t mean…?”
“It’s time to round up the usual suspects.” I stated, putting on my shaded glasses with a grin.
“You’ve been wanting to say that for awhile now haven’t you?” Detective Green remarked as he instantly got the reference. I only responded with a bigger grin.
Detective Green’s communicator suddenly chimed and sure enough the only remaining result was District 6. I entered in the coordinates and we darted off. District 6 was infamous for its demon inhabits who, despite their oath to uphold the law, were shady and villainous. It was also said to be the common place for meetings between Underworld Gods, Intergalactic villains, and the absolute worse of the worse. To go there meant certain death… if you were lucky. Only detectives and local authority could pray for anything else… and we’re not the praying type.
We were met by heavy guard as we approached the district parameters. The guards were a half race of human and demon so they could be better trusted than their full demon counterparts, but they are still prone to fits of rage so we reframed from smart remarks or commenting on their brimstone breath. The first thing we noticed as we entered District 6 was that it looked like the slums of a large city, which made up a majority of the district, and at the center was a Vegas-styled strip with many demon-type casinos and other such nightly…distractions displayed in red neon lights. We drove on carefully, avoiding local beggars and the local merchants who sold low level souls that looked like oranges, save for their bright blue coloring at five credits a bag. According to my sources, that was a bargain… if you don’t ask where the souls came from, that is…
We eventually found ourselves in front of a casino with a pitchfork logo like the one we found proudly displayed on the doors, floor, and many neon signs. Demons were not shy about their ancestry or the stereotypes surrounding them. We put on our shades and prepared ourselves for a bad encounter and stepped out of the cruiser. When we walked inside, we were greeted by the heavy smell of smoke and a mean looking bouncer, who passed us to throw out a skinny demon whose wings were torn. We watched as he landed with a cruel thud.
“AND STAY OUT YOU FU-.” The pusher yelled before seeing us and walking away without saying another word.
“Nice place…” Detective Green joked as we made our way through the lines of demons and other casino dwelling miscreants. We decided to try the direct approach and walked over to reception.
“Excuse us madam, Detectives Blue and Green, would you please tell us where we might find the head demon here?” I asked showing my badge to the receptionist, who was busy sharpening her nails with a black file. She looked up at us and gave us a mean glare.
“He’s over at the Sinister like always…” The receptionist said with a bored tone and resumed sharpening her nails.
“And where would that be?” I asked trying to keep my composure as some sirens started to go off from some nearby machines.
“Over there, by the Cursed Theater… you can’t miss it; it’s the one with the stage. Only one here actually…” The receptionist stated pointing to her right.
“Why’s that?” Detective Green asked causing the receptionist to look at him with a frustrated glare.
“Because the boss doesn’t want the entertainment moving to another place. He hates it when things change… That’s why none of us can leave…” The receptionist said under her breath with a frustrated tone. I interrupted Detective Green before he could ask further questions.
“Thank you for your time Miss.” I said with an official tone and we moved away.
“Just because you’re detectives doesn’t mean you’ll get out of here alive…” The receptionist stated as we walked away. We didn’t respond.
Detective Green and I eventually found ourselves outside the Sinister, which was a fancy diner with reserve seating and minotaur bodyguards on both sides of the entrance. We walked up to the entrance, only to be stopped by the guards aforementioned.
“Where you going?” One of the guards snorted as they pushed us back with their large hooves.
“Detectives Blue and Green, we’d like to have a little chat with your boss.” I responded showing my authorization.
“Well Nifelhife isn’t here at the moment; care to leave a message?” The minotaurs responded, pounding their hooves threateningly.
“We have no business with Nifelhife…at the moment. We would like to speak to the head demon here.” Detective Green stated, trying not to get us killed.
“No you don’t…” One of the guards snorted defiantly.
“Yes we do…” Detective Green said, returning the creature’s glare and defiance. After a moment the guards decided to step aside and opened the doors.
“After you…” One guard said as he gestured to the open room. We nodded and walked inside with the guards escorting us to a table in the center of the room. There, a group of neatly dressed demons sat smoking cigars and conversing in conversation. A minotaur walked to one of them and whispered something in his ear.
“Leave us.” The demon said with a thick mobster accent. The minotaurs left us and we were given permission to sit down. “So, what brings you boys to the Sinister eh…?” The fedora wearing demon asked, puffing a large cloud of smoke in our direction.
“Detectives-” I started before one of the demons to my left stopped me by holding up his claw.
“Blue, born on Earth Variation-C by the Skartaio quadrant in the year 195454 and Green, born on Earth Variation-D near the Disko star system in 3333. My, you were just textbook detective recruits, huh gentlemen?” The demon stated with a chuckle as he resumed his card game with his fellow demons.
“What, how…?” Detective Green asked, taken aback by the startling accuracy.
“Some demons have the gift of foresight…” I stated calmly. “…While others are just good at digging up information.” The other demons began to laugh hysterically.
“True on all counts Detective. We try to unnerve visitors early on to make negotiations go in our favor. Though, Scerf here, is actually both. It’s good having at least one demon like him, to keep safe… not that we’ve need it really.” The head demon said motioning to the skinny demon with a striped hat and slim shades who talked to us earlier.
“So do you know why we’re here too?” Detective Green said impatiently.
“Forgive us detectives… we’re just being… devilish.” He said with a small chuckle.
“So mind if we continue with our introductions?” I asked trying to get us back on topic.
“Fine. From my far left, this is Craggy, then Daster, Locko, then on my far right we have Thrif, Ghac, and you’ve already met Scerf. Then there is myself: Lastic, head demon of District 6 and owner of the largest soul bank in Instatopia.” Lastic stated, motioning to the demons on both sides of him who paid no attention to us.
“Nice to meet your acquaintance.” Detective Green said, looking over the demons and their assortment of firearms.
“Now if we may continue with our business here?” I asked looking at the time. It was 5:48 standard galactic time which meant we had five minutes before we needed to report our progress to Headquarters .
“Very well… so what brings you to our lovely piece of Underworld?” Lastic asked, taking another puff of smoke.
“There have been a series of murders all across Instatopia and-”
“And you think we had a claw in it? Oh my boys… haven’t you heard? We demons are making an honest change in behavior. We’re legit now, honest!” Lastic interrupted with a smile and peaceful gesture.
“Bullocks! I’ll believe it when Nifelhife joins the Heaven Force !” Detective Green shouted in disbelief. Scerf chuckled silently as if he was in on a personal joke.
“You’ve got to believe us; we’re changed demons: cross our souls and hope to scorn, forever to endlessly burn.” Lastic swore, crossing his heart with his claws, tracing a green flame as he did so.
“Well then, why did we find the image that covers this little establishment in a witness’ memory of a murder that occurred only a few moments ago!?” Detective Green refuted, showing the group of demons the image of Patricia’s memory on his communicator. The demons collectively looked at the image carefully, as if its very existence was the most perplexing thing in Creation (which would be quite the feat, considering).
“But that’s impossible… unless…” Lastic said silently to himself.
“Unless what?” I pressed leaning close and beginning the statement record.
“It could be-” Lastic started before he was interrupted by some shots from outside, and suddenly, the doors slammed open and a group of demons began shooting into the crowd, who fought back with a variety of dark spells and low level minions. Detective Green and I quickly flipped a table and returned fire with our Detective-class 20 laser pistols. Some of the attacking demons tried teleporting close to some of the devils, only to be sliced mid-teleport with an instant blade summoning spell. Eventually Lastic decided to use a class-7 imprisonment grenade which quickly captured the marauding demons with a bright flash. He then made a motion to his hench-demons who summoned the grenade and placed it by their master’s feet.
“Smoke ya later…” Lastic stated as he summoned a pistol from thin air and fired the grenade, vaporizing it instantly. He then summoned a cigar which his closest minion quickly lit as he put his pistol away into his jacket pocket. He then puffed a skull-shaped cloud of smoke and sat down on a chair his minions set up only seconds before. The others in the diner effortlessly cleaned up the place and sat down, some placing tips on the tables while having a smoke.
“Why did you kill them? We could have gotten a lead!” Detective Green stated angrily as we sat down once again.
“They would have broken out of that quickly, and besides, demons are extremely secretive… you wouldn’t have gotten anything detectives.” Lastic stated coolly.
“Very well… so what-” I started before once again being interrupted by Lastic.
“Apologies detectives but the next act is on. Perhaps we can have this meeting some other time.” Lastic said pointing to the stage as some props began to float into place.
“But we-”
“Tata…” Lastic said as we found ourselves being whisked away and thrown by an invisible force.
“The heck was that?” Detective Green asked angrily as I helped him up.
“Either telekinesis or some kind of magical force…” I stated, dusting myself off.
“No, I mean the whole kicking us out like common rabble. We were about to get a lead darn it!” Detective Green restated, trying the doors, which were now deadlocked sealed by an unseen force.
“Not yet, at least we know the key is here. All we need to do is get a search warrant and we will get everything we need and then some.” I said pulling out my communicator, ready to fill out the order.
“Yeah and start a full scale war that can pull this city apart. I think I have a better idea…” Detective Green stated looking at an employee’s only entrance.

Chapter Two for anyone who wanted it. Our heroes are still grasping at straws trying to uncover the every thickening mystery... Actually I think I have much to learn about "mystery writing" but whatever.